Firefly / Serenity - Miranda Message Disc

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For me the prop from the TV series that holds a lot of meaning is the catalyzer from Out of Gas. It was the prop that hinged my favorite episode together. When it comes to the BDM, the one prop that I always wanted to make is the Miranda Message disc. I know a few people have made these, so I'm reaching out in hopes that you all will have good photos of the hero prop.

If I can get the info I need I may make a few of these, we shall see. I've started work on the laser cut files using a photo I found of the prototype prop. With this I created one of the layers with the "code" on it. Here is what I have so far:

Attachments

• Serenity-message-prop-dots-and-dashes.jpg
    Serenity-message-prop-dots-and-dashes.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 195
YES! Thanks, kh. These are great.
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG

Many moons ago when we used to put on Star Wars Charity events we did had a display of original Aliens, Firefly and Serenity props on display, kindly done so by their owners. The Reader was among them, unfortunately when running an event you never get to 'see' the event, these seem to be the only images I can find. As you say this prop was pivotal in the movie and I just had to hold it, even for just a second...........you can't stop the signal.

Wow, clanger that’s crazy!! That pic helps a bit with scale. Based on your hands, what would you guess is the width or height of the Reader?

Wow, clanger that’s crazy!! That pic helps a bit with scale. Based on your hands, what would you guess is the width or height of the Reader?
I will see if the owner at the time has any more info or photos, he unfortunately no longer has it I believe.

Hopefully he will have more info.

The reader was certainly bigger in person than I had thought.

I could take a photo of my hand with fingers spread out with a ruler, very crude but it might help.

I so wish I had taken some decent shots of everything at the time, its insane t think back now that I didn't, just too busy.

There was Vera, Boo, Mal's Original Browncoat and so many other amazing items right under my nose, the owners were so generous in letting people hold the items, get up close and check them out.

We even had a mini prop party after the event back in one of the hotel rooms and some of the props were there being handed around and examined, great times.

Good luck with the build.

the scavenged parts from real computers were left overs from the main frame computer in Oceans 12. I recall lots of Firewire ports being used. I also recall, but may not be 100% on this, the clear acrylic parts being machined by hand and eye on a mill. And as with everything on the film, rush job.

View attachment 1426864View attachment 1426865

Many moons ago when we used to put on Star Wars Charity events we did had a display of original Aliens, Firefly and Serenity props on display, kindly done so by their owners. The Reader was among them, unfortunately when running an event you never get to 'see' the event, these seem to be the only images I can find. As you say this prop was pivotal in the movie and I just had to hold it, even for just a second...........you can't stop the signal.

I remember that con in the wilds of Devon, had a really good chat with John Mollo about Alien :) Unfortunately only had a crappy digital camera and all the pics are long gone. Trying to recall who owned the reader, was it Kev from the Aliens Legacy forum?

I remember that con in the wilds of Devon, had a really good chat with John Mollo about Alien :) Unfortunately only had a crappy digital camera and all the pics are long gone. Trying to recall who owned the reader, was it Kev from the Aliens Legacy forum?
It was that con, and it was that chap, I have checked and he hasn't any more info to offer on the reader unfortunately. I so wish I took more photos at that event, and spent some more time with our guests, I think I had one brief chat with John Mollo all weekend and we had flipping dinner with him the night before as well! Ah well, all this banter doesn't help with the Reader unfortunately

Well, there's some good news as far as nailing these 2 props. (reader and the base) I've been working with Sean (keelhauler) the last few days because as it turns out, he has one of the bases from Serenity. His version must have been one from Mr. Universe's hideout because it's weathered and burnt. But, it was plenty good to get detailed measurements from! So, I've now got all the layers broken out for both props and I'm starting to look at what it will take to produce them. Huge, HUGE thanks to Sean for all of his help. Wouldn't be anywhere close without it.

If anyone has a lead on CNC acrylic work that won't break the bank please send me a PM. Otherwise, I've got a couple of other people looking at the files and I hope to have more info very soon!

I'm not so active here anymore, but I built the device some time ago, since I couldn't afford the real prop when it was available. I always loevd it and would really like to realize a more correct version with more reference material availabe now...

here is my already existing replica: Firefly / Serenity - Miranda Message Device (Origin of the Reavers)

I started the project almost 10 years ago and finally finihed it in 2018. My version is about 140mm (~5.5") wide and 90mm (~3.5") diameter. Was the best I could come up with at the time. I've been talking to ssdesigner for the last days about it and finally found my old drawings for this project.

And I'd offer my help in producing these since I work at a company specialized in acrylics and we're even official partner of Plexiglas. I have access to CNC milling machines, laser cutters, digital printers and smaller 3D printers etc. and I'd be really happy to get a more accurate version of the 'disc' and finally the 'reader' too

Let's get it done :D

Well, there's some good news as far as nailing these 2 props. (reader and the base) I've been working with Sean (keelhauler) the last few days because as it turns out, he has one of the bases from Serenity. His version must have been one from Mr. Universe's hideout because it's weathered and burnt. But, it was plenty good to get detailed measurements from! So, I've now got all the layers broken out for both props and I'm starting to look at what it will take to produce them. Huge, HUGE thanks to Sean for all of his help. Wouldn't be anywhere close without it.

If anyone has a lead on CNC acrylic work that won't break the bank please send me a PM. Otherwise, I've got a couple of other people looking at the files and I hope to have more info very soon!
I can CNC Acrylic on the laser if you have the files.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back