Firefly Mal's Holster

Eric Ardros

Sr Member
I've got a buddy locally who's into leatherwork, and is willing to put together a replica of Mal's pistol holster for me, but as I'm rather anal-retentive when it comes to accuracy and detail, I want to make sure he has all the resources possible to get it right.

Of course, I've provided him with screencaps of the screen-used holster and pics of the QMx replica, but what he could really use is a template for cutting out the various parts of the holster.

I checked out a couple Firefly prop forums and did a general Google search for "Firefly Mal's Holster", but unfortunately wasn't able to find a template anywhere online, nor any pertinent info as to what the dimensions of the holster should be.

That is, until I happened across a link wherein somebody posted a quick-n-dirty tutorial, along with some general measurements. So, after a few hours over the course of two days, I managed to come up with what I think is a fairly accurate depiction of Mal's holster.

Here's some WiP pics:

ewst.jpg

uf6r.jpg

9i46.jpg

I finalized the template (will be transferring it to a large, single sheet of paper for my friend to use with the leather), and then cut a "sample" mock-up out of craft foam sheet to get a better idea of how it'll look.

The small buckle/strap needs to be brought down a bit to be properly centered to match what I've seen of these holsters, but overall it gives a good sense of the finished item.

Now I just need to get this to my leatherworking buddy, and soon enough I'll have this for my own collection :D

Yeah, you and me both, lol. Hopefully, that'll be fairly soon. Just need to schedule a time to get together with my leatherworking friend, so we can get the real version of this started.

I've been making Mad Max holsters for the last month or so, and by doing the leather work (cutting, aligning, etc.) myself, I only had to pay the leather shop to do the actual sewing. Saved a boat load of money!!
Best of luck for the finished product!
Jeff

Just wanted to share this link, with pics of the test piece done up for Mal's Holster:

Kingsley Armoury -- Facebook

Was over at his place this afternoon into early evening working on this. Took us about four hours, from cutting out the template on craft foam, to polishing the leather to finish it off.

Granted, the buckle he had on hand was silver instead of brass, but it looks great nonetheless. Can't wait to see the next one, and also what he does with the Doctor Vortex Manipulator we're working on together.

I've been looking for help in acquiring and/or making a Holster for the Mal Pistol Replicas (resin and 3D Printed) I have and I just found your post. I was wondering like the poster asked above if you would be willing to share your template?? Thank You for any Help that you would be willing to provide!!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back