Firefly - Mal Reynolds

Hey, thanks for that link. I think the sole is the only thing similar on that shoe though. The stitsching around the sole is not present on the mal boot and this one lacks the stitch lines across the toes.

there are actually a few of the Josef Seibel shoes that have this sole, and dont have the stitching. Search the rest of Zappos and check out their Seibel shoes. The Victor is the other model that doesnt have the stitch lines at all. But it would be easy to add another stitch line of either side.

And mainly I'm not looking for the shoe, I'm just looking for an accurate sole. Shoes are the easy part. Its custom sculpting or finding a good base sole thats tricky.

My whole approach has been find as similar a shoe, with as similar a sole as I can. I'm pretty happy with the Transit shoes I ended up with.

There's a new custom boot maker on eBay: TheLeatherBoutique

They make a pair of Mal boots (actually from both the show and movie). They are way more affordable than MC's and have a sole that is closer to accurate. Not 100% but much better than MC's.

CptMalcom_01.JPG

TheLeatherBoutique's Mal Boots

Apparently, they are willing to change details if you contact them. One of the Anakin kids from SonsoftheSons.com is having them work on some Anakin boots and they are very receptive to details, reference, feedback, etc. Kind of unlike MC.

I contacted them about changing one of their WWII German boots to be a good Han Solo.

They certainly look nice, but I ordered a pair of their 'Serenity' style boots a while ago and when they arrived they were pretty much only fit for throwing away. They resembled the ones pictured..but thats about it. I got the impression they didnt even look at the measurements I sent them. They seem extremely helpful up untill you pay. Their multiple negative feedbacks pretty much outline my experience with this seller, you wait and wait...then get 2 poorly made boots of different sizes :lol

Out of curiousity I contacted them about the soles for these and was told that the sole pictured would only be used on the boots for the winning bidder if they're in stock when the auction ends. Otherwise it will be a standard black sole.

I'm glad I read your post GD, as I was seriously considering buying a pair of the Serenity boots, but I wanted to hear opinions from people who had bought them.

Guess I won't be wasting my time now :)

I've been thinking of doing this costume for a wile now, and after reading this whole thread, I still have some questions.

1. Where do you get the gloves? (or what should I search under)

2. Which pair of "Wah maker" paints should I go with? ("Frontier", "Saddle", etc.) or should I go with another brand all-to-gether? (is there a cheeper way to go?)

3. Has a good holster been found? (I can't do leather work)

Not to add more confusion; I ordered a pair of the "Mal" boots from the leather boutique on ebay. They were shipped in 5 weeks, fit perfect and are pretty accurate (side welts don't wrap around). The only issue was the fact that I ordered them with the tan soles and they came in with the Vibram's.
I went with Wild West mercantile frontier pants, wheat, and some chocolate brown corduroy for the piping. The holster I did myself as well as dyeing the museum replicas "Serenity" coat and making some modifications.

47.jpg

While not finished yet, I thought I would start to post pictures of my progress thus far.

For starters, there's my Jonathan Logan coat:
P2110004.jpg

My Western pants with stripe down the leg:
P1260026-small.jpg

Closer detail on the stripe:
P1260027-small.jpg

My suspenders:
P2140004small.jpg

My belt, holster and gun:
P6250009a.jpg

And with the gun in the holster:
P6250010a.jpg

I'm trying to make the boots right now, but am stalled by difficulty working with leather, and laziness :) I wasn't ever able to track down the same Steve Madden shoes originally used to create Mal's boots, but I was able to find something similar:

P2240004.jpg

P2240003.jpg

I need to get some OxBlood coloured leather paint to recolour the shoes, and I also bought a bunch of leather to make the boot shafts from:
P2240005.jpg

Once I figure out how to get the shafts constructed (the pattern is made, and the leather cut), I'll have them attached to the shoes, then paint the soles to match Mal's.

I'm still trying to find a shirt the same colour brown as he wore in the pilot and a few other times as well.

But yeah, that's where I stand so far on my Mal Costume.

Ever since I got Sidkit's gun, I've been wanting to cobble together a Mal costume...

Anyone know where to get the Israeli combat harness thing that the suspenders were made from?

I've been thinking of doing this costume for a wile now, and after reading this whole thread, I still have some questions.

1. Where do you get the gloves? (or what should I search under)

2. Which pair of "Wah maker" paints should I go with? ("Frontier", "Saddle", etc.) or should I go with another brand all-to-gether? (is there a cheeper way to go?)

3. Has a good holster been found? (I can't do leather work)

I hate to be a pain, but could I get an answer on these questions. I'm on a bit of a timeline, and I really don't want to start another thread, just for these questions. (since this really, already is the thread for this sort of thing.)

I hate to be a pain, but could I get an answer on these questions. I'm on a bit of a timeline, and I really don't want to start another thread, just for these questions. (since this really, already is the thread for this sort of thing.)

For the gloves, I have no idea.

For the pants, go with the Frontier pants

The holster - this guy http://stores.ebay.com/Reddog-Leather_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm makes a Mal holster rig. It's not completely accurate, and it's a bit pricey, but it's a good looking rig - also you have to make sure your Mal gun will fit in it (it's not universal).

http://www.toughgloves.com/pages/ddress.htm

There are a few gloves on that page that would look appropriate once they'd been appropriately weathered. A bit on the pricey side though, and I've no idea as to the trustworthiness of the vendor.

I'm assuming Zeppo that you built the suspenders yourself from a base. Would you be able to give details on how you did it please? Also, any chance you could point me in the right direction to get the appropriate belt loops and buckles?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back