Firefly - Mal Reynolds

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Guardian Devil, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

I've really been wanting to start a new costume project and after finishing up my replica Firefly pistol from a member here I thought I'd go all out and get an entire Mal costume done.
    Anyone tackled this costume already? I'd love to see some pictures or hear about it.

So far I've got a pair of the gloves, found a really good shirt for the costume and located a source for some great looking canvas saddle pants and a replica of Mals brown coat.
    I've also found a local belt and harness maker who wants to have a go at making the gunbelt and holster for me. Anyone know of any good clear pictures of it kicking around out there? I need to try and knock up some measurements and good refference pictures for him.

I'm also still on the hunt for the PAL Comm unit, the right style suspenders and a pair of similar boots to complete the costume. Any help would be really great.

Here's a look at what I've got so far:

[​IMG] Pistol
    [​IMG] Black leather gloves
    [​IMG] Deep redish/brown corded shirt

2. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

3. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

:D Thanks for the links. Thats great. Got a couple real good pics of the holster from those.

Not a lot to show, but I've updated the first post with a couple pics of what I've got so far.

4. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

5. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Off to a good start :) If you want, PM and we'll see what we can come up with on the suspenders. I'm about to start work on a set myself.

6. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Wow the Serenity style costume looks great. If mine ends up half as good as that I'll be more than happy.
    PM sent in regard to the suspenders

7. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Just got a cheap mannequin to display it all on when its finished.
    Also got the brown coat ordered to add to the costume so far.
    :D

8. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Did you go through Abby Shot for your brown coat?

9. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

I was going to go through Abby Shot for the coat, but got tempted away by the value of the Space-City version. The money I've saved I might use to get the holster and belt replica as unfortunately the guy I was hoping could make me one doesnt think he can do it now.

10. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

what is space city?

11. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

http://www.spacecitycostumes.com

Cat over at space-city is really helpful. A real pleasure to deal with. She's all done untill the new year now, but well worth the wait in my opinion.

12. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

13. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

No problem.
    Quick snap of the bits so far on the mannequin. Almost nothing to it, but its a nice start and shaping up quite nicely I think.
    [​IMG]

14. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Looking good so far...this is what i have gathered
    I still need the coat, the boots, the holster and suspenders.
    [​IMG]

15. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

hmm...I have that belt too. Got it at Target last weekend.

16. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Yup, Target. I thought it had a great look.

17. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Looking cool. The belt goes really well with it.

18. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

The boots I ordered arrived this morning. I also printed off a roll of some of the money from the Currency Of The Verse thread. So I've put them together with the rest of the outfit so far.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The sadle pants should arrive any day now and work has started on my brown coat, so I'm on the hunt for any help with the belt and holster rig at the moment.
    Anyone tried anything or thinking of trying something that might work?

19. Mage

Mage New Member

All those are very shiny. Angellus, awesome job on yours: obviously a lot of work went into it.

I'm getting mine together slowly. Fortunately, since I live in Wyoming, I can even wear my Browncoat gear on a regular basis and still fit in. :D

I got my shirts and pants at Wild West Mercantile. The suspenders I found trolling military surplus auctions (since the costume designer said they were old WWII canvas suspenders). I found something close enough with some British webbing.

You can find holsters here if you want to drop $200 on a replica.

But my big question is where to find these:

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

20. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Short of having them made. I've come up with nothing closer than what I have for the boots ($40 Anakin style jedi boots, which I'm going to set about getting modified to match the firefly style)
    The pants on wwmerc are the same Wah Maker ones I purchased :D
    The holster on eBay is my last resort at the moment. I've been in contact with the seller last week with a few queries, but still waiting to hear back from them.

21. Mage

Mage New Member

I thought about getting the brown superhero boots from caboots.com until I tripped over these bad boys. Can't beat $15.

Would just need to be dyed brown if at all possible.

22. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Just FYI, those holster and belt rigs aren't really accurate(man, that sounds snobby. Believe me, not meant to be :lol). The buckle is the wrong type. It's not as wide and taller than the original, therefor making the belt the wrong size too. And the holster looks like it's made to fit the pistol shown in the photo with it. I doubt it will fit on of Phil's kits.

As soon as my pistol from Phil gets here, I'll be starting on a holster pattern for it. I'll have more info to share later.

Edit:
    Also, GD, I'll be getting back to you soon on the suspenders.

23. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Had noticed the inaccuracies myself, doesnt help that he's got a clear picture with the trouble with the holster shape and buckle visable on the auction page I guess.
    Can't wait to hear more about the holster and belt rig and suspenders :D

The boots look pretty close Mage. I got a similar pair recently that I tried before my jedi style ones, not quite as good as those, but found that 12" just didnt seem tall enough (The jedi ones I have are 17"). So 14" seems a pretty decent height on those too.
    Dying brown wouldnt be a problem there's plenty of spray colours for various leather out there.

24. Mage

Mage New Member

It's not snobby at all when you know your stuff. :thumbsup

I think the eBay guy makes the holsters custom for the particular pistol.

Do you have any suggestions or notions regarding the Firefly boots? (Sorry if I seem to be obsessing on it -- I've just been looking REALLY hard for something like them)

25. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Seems to me the only way you're going to get something accurate is to make them yourself. The ones on the show look like they started out as a slip-on shoe, and then the rest from the ankle up is fabricated. If you're looking for something you can buy already done, I'm afraid I'm not much help. I haven't found anything, but to be fair, I haven't looked very hard. There could be some good substitues out there somewhere.

26. Mage

Mage New Member

That's what I was afraid of. :cry I guess now's as good a time to learn this stuff as any though. They look to be a leather pac boot of some sort with a tricked out upper.

EDIT:
    Or not. It's not thick enought to be a pac boot, but the toe is similar. :unsure

27. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

I think that the boots from Firefly are just slip on leather shoes. You can see the seam line around the top of the foot where they added the spat.
    I would say find some nice brown shoes. Add the leather strip down the middle of the toe area, add the two half circle pieces to the sides, and then make a spat that fits over and your good to go. I am starting on a pair myself quite soon. My Brown coat is in the works as well.

28. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

I agree about the boots, definately looks like the upper portion was added.
    Did you go with Space-city for the Brown coat?

29. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

I reck'n I did. :thumbsup
    thanks

30. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

:) No trouble at all.

I've pretty much finished playing about with the boots and I'm quite pleased with them. The saddle pants arrived this morning. They're going off to have the brown stripes added first thing in the morning.

Couldnt help but take a picture to show how its coming along.
    [​IMG]

31. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Looks freakin great. Comming along very well.

32. Mage

Mage New Member

Most shiny. Those boots look really goood with it.

33. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love the outfit so far. One question though, shouldn't the glove be brown? From what I remember they looked brown in the series, or are you going with the movie outfit?

34. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

:D Thank you all. I'm really pleased with it all so far.

I'm doing the outfit from the series, but I might start on the movie version when I'm finished.
    I'm really not sure about the gloves, I remembered them being black and went from this picture:
    [​IMG]
    Guess I'll have to watch through the series again to double check...oh well. :angel

35. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

The gloves are black, but distressed a bit.

36. Mage

Mage New Member

Where did you get the jedi boots?

37. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

I have those boots. Just a word of warning: they're not very tall. Maybe mid-calf at most. probably not tall enough for a Mal costume unless you lengthened them yourself.

38. Mage

Mage New Member

39. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Those cavalry boots look like they could be really good too. Contacted the seller about brown ones before I bought mine, but was told they're only available in black, so they'd have to be recoloured.
    I bought mine from seller: 'smokespoon72' on eBay. He sells them for about $200 a pair, but occasionally puts them up with a low start and they rarely go over $40. which is when I bought mine.

40. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

Yeah, actually the first time I watched the Firefly DVDs recently those Eastern Coast costume boots came to mind when I saw Mal's. His boots always seemed to have that kind-of bulbous toe to them. Those are cheap enough too to use as a base and alter or add to them.

41. Mage

Mage New Member

Help a noob out -- what would you use to recolor them? :confused

42. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

leather and vinyl spray paint.

43. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

Stuff called Nu-Life I have heard good things about.

44. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Nu-Life is very good. It is what was used to color my Green Lantern Boots green.

45. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Yes I agree, Nu-Life is what I'd go with had I chosen those boots. It's what I used to recolour my Daredevil Boots red.

46. SWFreak

47. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Thanks for the links. Glad to see people helping out.
    The first holster is close. Neither of the belts would work. The belt in the show has holes at the top and at the bottom of the belt.

48. SWFreak

49. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

I agree. Especially for belts. Just find a good buckle and do the rest yourself.

50. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Yea that is what I plan on doing. I am gonna lay my gun out on the leather to make a basic pattern for the holster. Should be relativley simple.