Interest Firefly Mal Pistol Kit - Detail Parts

DrewSmith007

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone,

These models are the result of my long running quest to make a metal Mal pistol. I'm still plugging along with that project, but I thought some here may be interested in a resin parts kit. Here's a shot of all the components:

AllParts.JPG

And here's a shot with the parts roughly assembled with hot glue:

Assembled.JPG

They would be pressure cast in smooth-cast 300, tinted brown for the brass pieces and grey for the steel pieces. The grips would be CNC'd from walnut, as well as a brown resin option.

The trigger moves, but the hammer is fixed in place. It is a separate piece to make painting easier and weathering look more realistic.

I can include extra magazines, and plan on building up a magazine insert for display.

All parts will screw together, and I can drill and tap holes for an additional fee.

The thumbscrews will be attached to threaded rod to allow the cover to come off the same way the prop did, to reveal a mock revolver underneath. The threaded rod will come in the kit as well, along with all screws.

I plan on doing an assembly video, but need to order the screws and other harware and I'm wanting an idea of how many kits to buy hardware for.

I've only done the modeling for the TV version, but let me know if you would be interested in the movie version too.

The full kit with raw castings will be around $250 shipped anywhere in the continental US. Sorry, but it's US only for now, until I figure out how to handle international shipping.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Extremely interested in a kit (resin). Also I am in Canada - it's not too much trouble to send us stuff, we're practically the same country.

Last edited:
I'm surprised myself, but I'm starting the molds tonight and hopefully the assembly videos I'm planning will spark more interest.

Have to reprint the revolver part to allow the moving trigger to install. I think I'm going to make the cylinder a seperate piece too, and may include castings of real .38 special bullets as inserts.

For those of you interested in a metal kit, I am considering it but honestly it may be too expensive to make it a reality.

Considering Sid kits are damn near impossible to get now days and go for nearly $500 I think most of us would jump at the chance for a metal kit even for a steep price.

Just out of curiosity, what is the challenge with a working hammer? I would choke a kitten for something similar to a Sidkit, metal with a working trigger and hammer.

I suppose it's not too difficult, just need to work out the mechanism. I'll look into it. Just found out I'm leaving the country for a couple weeks so I'll have some down time to design it.

Not much of an update, but I'm back from my work trip and have been working on the trigger/hammer mechanism and I'll have to reprint the pistol base. I'll probably start molding the other parts tomorrow.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back