Firefly fans: I need your help.

Risu

Master Member
I enjoy the show as much as the next guy, but I never got so into it that I read the comics, etc. and I don't know every last detail about the universe. I'm hoping somebody on here does and can answer a question for me. Did the Browncoats have a logo of some sort? An insignia or crest or anything like that? If so, can anybody post it here for me? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks! I like the design of that, it'll look great on my project. I was originally planning on doing the Chinese "Serenity" that's painted on the ship, but didn't want to use something that wasn't specifically Browncoat. I'm designing a Browncoat "field jacket". It's sort of like a hybrid of Mal's browncoat and the field jacket from Star Trek that Felgacarb replicated, with a few elements from the original Mal concept mixed in. I want to use the same method I used to make my Mal boot "swoops" to add the same swoops to the sleeves as well as put this logo on the back of the jacket.

So after looking through the linked thread I've got to ask, what exactly is the correct configuration? All the individual patches are an upside down triangle with an upright star, but on Mal's coat it's flipped. Btw, here's my sketch for the jacket for anybody interested.

BrowncoatFieldJacket.jpg

So after looking through the linked thread I've got to ask, what exactly is the correct configuration? All the individual patches are an upside down triangle with an upright star, but on Mal's coat it's flipped.

The costuming dept. put Mal and Zoe's patches on upside down. They were meant to have the stars point up and the triangle point down. All the background extras have them on right.

Your jacket reminds me of the Away jackets from Star Trek 2....
The big pockets at the bottom especially... add a big collar and your there... :)

Love to see what fabrics your thinking about using....

-Skyler101

This looks like a fun project! What colors are you using for the trim panels? Will you be using quilting, piping or fake-trapunto stuffing approaches?

I'm thinking of using just plain quilting, maybe with a 1/2" batting to get deeper stitch lines. The insert fabric as well as the inside of the standing collar will be some kind of brown ultrasuede, a little lighter than the leather but not too much. The collar decision is just because I don't really like the feel of garment leather around my neck. Here in CA it just results in a lot of sweat.

As for the material, I'll be using the leather I used to make my Mal spats. I posted a thread in the costuming section asking for ideas for how I could use the rest of the hide and on a run to Costco I came up with this. It's essentially a shortened browncoat pattern with a zipper and easier collar, with pockets added because they're kind of important and the panels to fill the empty space. The concept art for Mal had some similar panels on the sleeve and that's where the epaulettes came from as well. I'm pretty excited about this project, it may be a while before I start working on it, though.

Here's the leather with the swooshes:

DSC02244.jpg

Unfortunately, no. Other projects took priority for a while, and as of today I'm working 3 jobs, so I don't myself getting around to this any time soon. I do still want to do it some day, though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back