FIREFLY DATAPAD HELP NEEDED

Oh dredd, that would be most wondermous.

I don't *think* the original "PDA" used any real world item -- there's only one button on it, but not visible here. It's vertical and oval -- I'm afraid I've not a screen capture program, so I can't take a pic to show what I mean.

As to the screen itself, I made a little progress tonight, at least on the basic shapes. Still need to get all the colors and shading right. I don't suppose anyone knows what the rest of the icons are? I can't place them -- except for the "Saturn" on the second down, left hand side. These pics also show the icons in the "River Tam's desktop display" from the movie (when she has her vision of Miranda prior to going ape-gesa. :) ). Those along the bottom were from the screen with Maidenhead security feed screen the Operative was looking at)

icons1.gif

icons2_thumb.jpg

(full size version here:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Faerf...efly/icons2.jpg )

These "Type-n-Go's" can be bought for very cheap. I just wanted to make sure I get the right version. They made them for the Handspring Visor as well as the Palm M500 and V series...with a noticeable difference in size between the Palms and Handsprings.

The right side is pretty standard, but the left side varies in the cutout size where the PDA sits. I guess it depends on the size of the LCD insert that's made for this. The Handspring Visor version will have the larger cutout.

Does anyone have a screencap of the whole left side of this prop? I'd like to see the bottom of the left side...below the screen.

Here's a Type-n-Go for the Palm V series...
typengo1.jpg

And for the Handspring Visors...
typengo2.jpg

Notice on the Palm version, the bottom of the PDA goes to about the "QWERTY..." row of keys with the Handspring version bottoming out to the "ZXCVB...." row.

Originally posted by JediLip@Jan 22 2006, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have a screencap of the whole left side of this prop? I'd like to see the bottom of the left side...below the screen.
[snapback]1165675[/snapback]​
let me get on this...

edit: but can someone tell me what part of the movie this was in? :lol

Originally posted by synasp+Jan 23 2006, 12:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(synasp @ Jan 23 2006, 12:51 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-JediLip
@Jan 22 2006, 10:54 PM
[snapback]1165675[/snapback]​
let me get on this...

edit: but can someone tell me what part of the movie this was in? :lol
[snapback]1165727[/snapback]​
[/b]

It wasn't in the movie. It's the pilot episode: Serenity Part 1&2.

Great work so far. I'll see if I can help with screen caps and kanji research.

okay, that helped. They never show the bottom of the datapad though...

Kaylee, good job with the graphic. What do you think about making the 2 stars a little larger?

edit: here's the graphic again, a little larger. The "saturn" looks to be an eye.

looks like the bottom of the prop will have to be guess work i also checked the episode to see if i could catch a glimpse but he only shows it for a second before he throws it :( i ould imagine it fits the same as the pda's do which would be handy as then we can adapt the battery case at the bottom for the leds on our working versions.i looked through loads of different pdas and it looks pretty much like its scratch built cover over some sort of existing pda.
i just want to get started but have to wait for my type and go to arrive :(

Originally posted by Kaylee@Jan 23 2006, 05:11 AM
Oh dredd, that would be most wondermous.

I don't *think* the original "PDA" used any real world item -- there's only one button on it, but not visible here. It's vertical and oval -- I'm afraid I've not a screen capture program, so I can't take a pic to show what I mean.

As to the screen itself, I made a little progress tonight, at least on the basic shapes. Still need to get all the colors and shading right. I don't suppose anyone knows what the rest of the icons are? I can't place them -- except for the "Saturn" on the second down, left hand side. These pics also show the icons in the "River Tam's desktop display" from the movie (when she has her vision of Miranda prior to going ape-gesa. :) ). Those along the bottom were from the screen with Maidenhead security feed screen the Operative was looking at)

icons1.gif

icons2_thumb.jpg

(full size version here:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Faerf...efly/icons2.jpg )
[snapback]1165655[/snapback]​

Thank you for the screen caps. :)

Looking at it closely, with the device in the left side of the Type 'N Go, it seems to sit higher than the more "flush mounted" PDA's that they're intended for. I'm thinking that the Type 'N Go won't even close with it installed.

Which brought me to another revelation...I don't think the device in the left side is a PDA at all. I believe that it is actually a portable MP4 player and the prop department just made up an MP4 video clip for the graphics on the screen.

I'm still looking through a sea of portable MP4 players. If I can find the right player, then I can find out which Type 'N Go to get based on the measurements.

i agree you seem to be on the right track with this one i am just looking through mp4 images)
heres one coming close
1-1.jpg

Originally posted by JediLip@Jan 23 2006, 08:45 AM
Thank you for the screen caps. :)

Looking at it closely, with the device in the left side of the Type 'N Go, it seems to sit higher than the more "flush mounted" PDA's that they're intended for. I'm thinking that the Type 'N Go won't even close with it installed.

Which brought me to another revelation...I don't think the device in the left side is a PDA at all. I believe that it is actually a portable MP4 player and the prop department just made up an MP4 video clip for the graphics on the screen.

I'm still looking through a sea of portable MP4 players. If I can find the right player, then I can find out which Type 'N Go to get based on the measurements.
[snapback]1165773[/snapback]​

I mentioned this in the other thread, but while I was in the grocery store the other day, I noticed that the kid behind the counter had a T-Mobile Sidekick that looks pretty close:

t-mobile_sidekick2.JPG

The body and screen shapes look about right, and it even has the vertical "button" that Kaylee refers to.

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by Birdie@Jan 23 2006, 03:09 AM
Ebay is ruining my eyesight  :confused

Did MP4 players exist in 2002?
[snapback]1165838[/snapback]​

Aw crap, I never thought about that. The first portable MP4 player was released in January of 2002. It would be close, but still possible.

What do you all think? Did the graphics on the screen actually come from the device? Or does it look more like the graphics were superimposed on it later on?

Originally posted by trekkieb47@Jan 23 2006, 04:28 PM
Serenity-Interface-Inprogre.jpg

[snapback]1166204[/snapback]​

Hey Berry, I think the ends on the Oval are actually both the same size.
On yours, the right one is smaller than the left.

Also, the circle in the middle doesn't look offset to me. It's centered right in the middle of the +.

FB

Just an update on how mine has been coming. With all the gradiants, I've been going with a raster format (although at 300 dpi). Still a long way to go, but it's coming. :)

pdascreen_comp.jpg

And looking at those photos again,it looks like the Palm Type'N'Go is the correct model -- note how the recess for the PDA widens at the base a touch.

Darn, I got the wrong one. Bother. :p

Originally posted by Kaylee@Jan 23 2006, 07:11 PM
And looking at those photos again,it looks like the Palm Type'N'Go is the correct model -- note how the recess for the PDA widens at the base a touch.

Darn, I got the wrong one. Bother. :p
[snapback]1166461[/snapback]​

Yeah, you can clearly see in synasp's screencap HERE, that the Palm version is the correct one. And I wouldn't sweat having to buy the Palm version. I just bought mine from ebay for $3.99 plus shipping. :D

And now to find the screen device...

*Edit* If it helps, the Palm M500 was 4.48" X 3.11". Whatever device was on the left side should roughly be the same size...just thicker.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back