Finishing a Suckface MkIII Iron Man helmet

That´s a fantastic finish!

Two question, please, did you clearcoated it with laque or somethin? And also can you explain a little how to weather it?

Thanks Dude!!!

clonesix, It's not lit 'cos I don't have the LEDs yet. I have ordered and paid for them so I should have them next week sometime.

Arcko, I haven't bothered to seal the paint with anything, just polished it with T-Cut before weathering.

Fawbish, this helmet was Rapid Prototyped from Marvel STL files, cleaned up, moulded, cast in a Polyurethane/aluminium mix.

Zabana, no clearcoat. The weathering is very simple. I used grate polish/iron paste. Apply generously, rub in with a brush. Remove with lighter fuel on a rag...leaving in and around any split lines...and using an upward motion on the faceplate (creating the 'abrasions'). The grate polish dries quickly...you can buff this too, creating a deeper, shinier colour.

Breathtaking Vos, Very cool likeness on this, as a potential suckface lid owner the paint instructions will come in very useful, thanks for posting the colors and methods for obtaining a finish like this, Can i ask if you made the eyes yourself (not the LEDs) or did you get them from another seller?

Yep, I made the eyes myself. Here's how...

Cut some 3mm opal acrylic to size. Heat it with a heat gun until you can bend it around the eye's interior contour. Cut some black styrene the same shape as the opal acrylic. Cut a rectangular slit in the black styrene. Glue the black styrene to the opal acrylic.

Yep, I made the eyes myself. Here's how...

Cut some 3mm opal acrylic to size. Heat it with a heat gun until you can bend it around the eye's interior contour. Cut some black styrene the same shape as the opal acrylic. Cut a rectangular slit in the black styrene. Glue the black styrene to the opal acrylic.

Simple but very effective , i have given up try to pep some eyes, Thanks for sharing Vos :)

Thanks guys. Hey fingaz...just checked out your IM build...nicely done sir!

I fitted the lights today...

4138047.jpeg

4081623.jpeg

4160664.jpeg

You can't see through the eyes, or wear the helmet. I permanently attached the rear upper neck piece. This is purely for display only. I don't have pics of the eyes, but I do try to explain how I did them earlier in the thread. The actual lighting kit is from DarkJerre.

You should take on commission painting/finishing work if you don't already. I imagine people would be lining up around the block.

This is absolutely gorgeous, Vos! How did you acquire the Marvel stls? Could you post them? I have a Makerbot Thingomatic 3D printer and would love to take a crack at this :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back