Finished my Blade Runner Costume

Thanks.

I did sew the jacket myself.

The blaster is still in pieces in a KFC bucket. I need to redo it anyway, as it was a pretty rough scratch build.

I am still trying to find the tie, but I am probably going to have to wait until next December, as the selection of red and green ties is pretty slim this time of year. Dillard's had one that was the right colors, but was the wrong pattern.

You might want to try looking for the tie in a vintage clothing store. Any tie available today is likely to be cut too wide.

I planned on altering it to be narrow and have the square bottom. But that is a good idea. I might be able to find something with the right colors much sooner.

Distress the jacket. Right now it looks freshly tailored (I know it actually is, but that's not the point). MAke the coat look used and worn, like Deckards JAcket looking the in teh film.

Tea Bag Dye the seams, along the bottom 1.5 inches of the coat, and at the underarms. (Tea Bag technique consists of splotching wet tea bags on the new cloth there fore weathering it)

Also you can rough up the elbows and edges of the cloth with sandpaper or steel wool (depending on amount of distressing)

Anyone else got tips for weathering cloth?

I wear it just about every day, does that count?

It also has some "stains" where the fabric dyed unevenly.

If I am feeling brave one day I will try the tea bag dying. I still have the scraps, so I can experiment on those first. Any reccomendations on tea? When I age paper I usually use Earl Grey.

The only other methods I know of are not really precision, but general weathering.
1. Washing machine with rocks-not an option
2. Dragging/running over with a car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moviebuff5 @ Apr 20 2006, 12:23 AM) [snapback]1229554[/snapback]</div>
I wear it just about every day, does that count?

It also has some "stains" where the fabric dyed unevenly.

If I am feeling brave one day I will try the tea bag dying. I still have the scraps, so I can experiment on those first. Any reccomendations on tea? When I age paper I usually use Earl Grey.

The only other methods I know of are not really precision, but general weathering.
1. Washing machine with rocks-not an option
2. Dragging/running over with a car.
[/b]

I've also used diluted coffee. Pretty much anything with a brown shade, IMO, meaning don't go for the green tea, even if you will smell more Asian. ;)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back