Find Molds 1/72 Naboo Starfighter

blakeh1

Sr Member
It was a quick one day build. There really is not much to the actual build,. The parts count is pretty low. You don't even have to do masking since all the parts can be painted before assembly. It really is a nice way to build. I was surprised at the amount of small markings on these. Never noticed them before until I saw the decals sheet

I wasn't really a big fan of the design, but after building it and kind of seeing in person if you will, I am liking the design more and more.

After hearing lots of recommendation on using it from members here and on SSM, I went with Spazstix Mirrored Chrome http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/collections/spazstix-ultimate-mirror-chrome

The yellow was a mix of Tamiya red and yellow. Then just some oil washes and toning.

I wanted a more battle worn look than the pristine look. I used the ILM physical model in Sculpting a Galaxy for reference on some of the weathering

At any rate, a quick paint up of the pilot. I wasn't too stressed over getting him perfect since you can't see much beyond his head once he is in there
d139Ebs.jpg

DMiQjOX.jpg

Really nice! I love this fighter. It's like the RAF Spitfire in the Battle of Britain. I like that it's NOT just an earlier version of an X-wing or Y-wing. Very much a product of "a more civilized age." You got the orange-y yellow color just right.

Looks good, Blakeh1! Beginning of a trend of prequel vehicles, perhaps?

Weirdly, clearing out some attic space and found two (mostly complete) diecast AMT 1/48 Naboo fighters today. They were nicely done kits from back in the day (built them with my kids...) & the metal makes for a convincing finish when polished. Tough to get looking right.

Regards, Robert

That looks great, especially considering how small the kit is.

The Naboo fighter has a special place in my heart because it was one of the first models I built during the pre-production of Star Wars Ep.1.

For the record: The precise yellow paint color is Floquil Railbox Yellow. It's a flat paint, but I overcoated it with a clear gloss for the maquette. For the larger shooting models, we ordered up a large batch of gloss paint from a local auto paint supplier that was matched to the Railbox Yellow paint.

Thanks for that tip, Duncanator. Sadly, I think Floquil paints are discontinued, though perhaps the colors themselves have been replicated in another line. Perhaps a suitable match (or an old bottle?) can be found and the mix formula documented (would be nice if it were possible to pass the 'code' to the local paint store to key into their tinting machine...)

BTW, sorry about my 'Bandai' confusion. I didn't realize FM did a Naboo fighter... I'd only ever previously seen the 1/48 scale kits by AMT (plastic & metal versions.)

Regards, Robert

Awesome jobb on such a small model! Perfect balance on the weathering. I always wanted to build this fighter myself (love the design) but the large silver/chrome parts always keept me from having a go. You replicated that nicely as well!

Steve.

Alsacorp makes some really great chrome paint... You might want to check them out the next time you need to do some large chrome parts.

Thanks korben and astroboy!

Really nice! I love this fighter. It's like the RAF Spitfire in the Battle of Britain. I like that it's NOT just an earlier version of an X-wing or Y-wing. Very much a product of "a more civilized age." You got the orange-y yellow color just right.
I agree. I do appreciate the design much more than when Phantom Menace came out

Looks good, Blakeh1! Beginning of a trend of prequel vehicles, perhaps?

I've got a 1/72 jp Hailfire droid, a 1/72 (or 1/74?) Revell Republic Gunship, the 1/98 ish Revell AT-TE as well as the Revell 1/2256 Venator waiting in the stash.

I've also been wanting to pick up another Republic Gunship to convert into a dropship for the AT-TE.
Using this amazing conversion as my inspiration (one can dream) http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nikonikohoshizora/folder/1289073.html
yes, those are all converted Revell kits

That looks great, especially considering how small the kit is.

The Naboo fighter has a special place in my heart because it was one of the first models I built during the pre-production of Star Wars Ep.1.

For the record: The precise yellow paint color is Floquil Railbox Yellow. It's a flat paint, but I overcoated it with a clear gloss for the maquette. For the larger shooting models, we ordered up a large batch of gloss paint from a local auto paint supplier that was matched to the Railbox Yellow paint.

Thanks for the insight! I debated on the glassy finish and stuck with a flat for the yellow. I still may give it a light glossy coat though

On my AMT Naboo fighter I used Bare Metal Foil for the chrome sections and it turned out great.
I think that's what they used on the studio models ILM built. In scultpting a galaxy they talked about how they had to keep fixing the foil on queen's starship since it kept getting damaged in production

Any pictures?

Awesome jobb on such a small model! Perfect balance on the weathering. I always wanted to build this fighter myself (love the design) but the large silver/chrome parts always keept me from having a go. You replicated that nicely as well!
thanks!
The Spazsitx stuff was really easy to use. Just make sure you've got a nice flat/smooth surface as possible since it will amplify any flaws. Also the awesomely engineered way it fits together allows you to paint all the chrome parts and yellow parts separately before assembly so you don't even need to do masking (apart from the cockpit glass). Just don't use ca to glue it together since I believe it could fog up the metallic finish

[/QUOTE]
I think that's what they used on the studio models ILM built. In scultpting a galaxy they talked about how they had to keep fixing the foil on queen's starship since it kept getting damaged in production [/QUOTE]

Actually we used a combination of mylar film and bare metal foil on the queen's ship.

It was mostly covered with mylar because it was the most chrome-like, but mylar doesn't like to go on to compound curves without a fight. So we stretched the mylar on as smoothly as possible and then waited till the next day to see where it puckered. Then we cut out trapezoidal panels in the puckered areas, and laid down a new panel in the cut out area. We then used bare metal foil for the really tight curves that the mylar just couldn't handle; like the engine intakes and the leading edge of the fuselage. I felt that the different chrome sheens and color variations helped it look more realistic than if it was all perfectly uniform-shiny.

So you could say that the panel detail on the queen's ship was determined by the material rather than by aesthetics.

The maquettes of the Naboo fighter and queen's ship were vacuum metalized, but they were the only ones chromed that way. The shooting models of the Naboo fighter were painted with "chrome" paint, and were mostly used for pyro work. The full-sized set piece Naboo fighters were covered with mylar film.

Your fighter looks awesome. The paint and weathering look spot on. I have always loved the Naboo designs and most of the prequel designs as well.

Duncantor, Since you were obviously there (and it's VERY cool that you're here to give us details -- I wish I could buy you a beer!), do you have any opinion on the campaign to make people believe that the PT was only CG? You built the actual studio models -- or at least saw them being built. I've seen the recent ILM sizzle reel showing that TFA used as much if not more CG that Ep1, yet JJ and Lucasfilm seem to really, really, REALLY want people to believe they only used "practical effects." Any thoughts?

Duncantor, Since you were obviously there (and it's VERY cool that you're here to give us details -- I wish I could buy you a beer!), do you have any opinion on the campaign to make people believe that the PT was only CG? You built the actual studio models -- or at least saw them being built. I've seen the recent ILM sizzle reel showing that TFA used as much if not more CG that Ep1, yet JJ and Lucasfilm seem to really, really, REALLY want people to believe they only used "practical effects." Any thoughts?

A lot of that is just marketing talk. During the prequels Lucasfilm was touting the "All Digital" aspect of the film because they were position themselves as being on the cutting edge of what Hollywood was excited about at the time. And truly everything was shot or processed digitally. The fact that there were more models built for Ep1 alone than all the original films combined just wasn't part of what the company was selling to future Hollywood film-makers.

On the current batch of films, Lucasfilm/Disney realized that the fans really dig the practical aspect, so they are spinning the tale in a different way. They are using whatever technology works best for the shot whether CG or practical, but what they choose to say to sell the film comes down to marketing.

A lot of that is just marketing talk. During the prequels Lucasfilm was touting the "All Digital" aspect of the film because they were position themselves as being on the cutting edge of what Hollywood was excited about at the time. And truly everything was shot or processed digitally. The fact that there were more models built for Ep1 alone than all the original films combined just wasn't part of what the company was selling to future Hollywood film-makers.

On the current batch of films, Lucasfilm/Disney realized that the fans really dig the practical aspect, so they are spinning the tale in a different way. They are using whatever technology works best for the shot whether CG or practical, but what they choose to say to sell the film comes down to marketing.

That's what I thought (I'm peripherally in the business too) but I wanted your take. Here's my opinion. The "practical effects" emphasis was/is really just a dogwhistle to the fans saying, "Hey, we're not making movies like the ones you hate - the prequels -- but like the ones you like." But it's disingenuous and dishonest. They can't come right out and admit they don't like the company founder's movies, so it's coded in this "practical effects" nonsense. What's a shame is that it throws all the hard work the artists did on the PT under the bus, IMHO.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back