Finally done with my Rubies mods

Darth Domain

Well, its been nearly 4months of filling, sanding, filing, priming, painting and polishing. I have payed so much attention to detail that i can see this thing in my sleep. Many thanks to all the guys who gave me tips throughout.
Many thanks to my girlfriend Sam who has tolerated my fixation with this thing. This mod is dedicated to her cheers babe.
So here ya go ( sorry about pics, still can't find digicamw)
Thanks for looking

That is quite a job. It's amazing how good these helmets can look when time, effort, and talent is put into them. So much less money than tracking down a DP CA and just as good results. Congrats.

Thanks very much, i have really enjoyed doing this and am going to be doing a few more for sale. I really appreciate comments such as the above. :thumbsup

That's a really nice customizing job you've accomplished there. Looking great. What did you use to fill in the nose slots and the tear drops?

Also, a suggestion - which I have given elsewhere on this forum: on the next mod, try not to remove the nose plug, just fill the seams and sand it, since it will be a more accurate looking nose, with the broader nose edge, if you know what I mean.

Though, really impressive... :thumbsup

Hope my custom job will be as good as this - inspired by another users mod-job I'm considering turning mine into an ANH version.

Does this mask come as a ROTS mask with the longer neck?

Other than the center ridge on the dome its hard to find the flaws in it. The work is so well done, I cnt get over it.

Originally posted by Darth Detroit@Mar 14 2006, 02:07 AM
Does this mask come as a ROTS mask with the longer neck?
[snapback]1205092[/snapback]​
No, this is a RotJ derivative helmet.

The only ones selling RotS helmets are Master Replicas.

Looks great, Darth. Are you still coughing dust from all the sanding? :p I know I was after sitting outside sanding mine for ages. You did a hell of a job on it. :thumbsup

Originally posted by NoHumorMan@Mar 13 2006, 11:37 PM
That's a really nice customizing job you've accomplished there.  Looking great.  What did you use to fill in the nose slots and the tear drops?

Also, a suggestion - which I have given elsewhere on this forum: on the next mod, try not to remove the nose plug, just fill the seams and sand it, since it will be a more accurate looking nose, with the broader nose edge, if you know what I mean.

Though, really impressive... :thumbsup

Hope my custom job will be as good as this - inspired by another users mod-job I'm considering turning mine into an ANH version.
[snapback]1205073[/snapback]​
I used multi purpose filler from my local automotive store, comes with a seperate hardener, goes like steel after about 20 mins so you have to work quick but it sands brilliantly, so easy to shape. I used this for the eye areas too.
A good tip as well, when you have cut out the old eye areas on the mask you have to fill the areas then to accomodate the new lenses. G et your new lenses cover them in masking tape so its on good and tight. Put the lenses in from behind the mask then tape them securley in place. You will then see all of the gaps that need filling. Actually fill the gaps while the lenses are still in place. Leave the filler to harden then carefully remove the lenses from behind. The lenses will not be damaged as they are covered in tape. But you will be left with a perfect fit which just needs minimal filing sanding. This method prevents you having to keep filling gaps to re-sand again etc.

Originally posted by Betamin@Mar 14 2006, 05:05 AM
Looks great, Darth.  Are you still coughing dust from all the sanding?  :p  I know I was after sitting outside sanding mine for ages.  You did a hell of a job on it.  :thumbsup
[snapback]1205295[/snapback]​
Cheers betamin, oh yeah i was coughing and spluterring. But we are having our house literally rebuilt so we are used to dust at the moment :lol .
I must just mention, it was seeing your mods that was one of the drives for me doing mine, such a brilliant job and i love the way you rebuilt the face etc.

Great job man. it looks like the novus polish worked out for you ;) i just finished clear coating my A.N.H style rubies face the dome on the other hand just went threw paint and is still not to my liking :angry
but yours came out great. :thumbsup :thumbsup

What i did was used 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper and sanded the done/face until the orange peel effect left by the clearcoat had all but gone, then boy of boy it took some polishing.
Cheers for comments Gun :thumbsup

Well done DD....I
Ive always said that the Rubies is a serious contender to the DP CA with some work....you've proven it yet again. :thumbsup

Originally posted by KevVader@Mar 14 2006, 07:39 PM
Well done DD....I
Ive always said that the Rubies is a serious contender to the DP CA with some work....you've proven it yet again. :thumbsup
[snapback]1205665[/snapback]​
Thanks Kev, much appreciated, its amazing how different this lid looks when worked on, i'm too much of a perfectionist though, and the next one which i'm currently working on will be much better cause i want to sell it and it needs to be damn good :thumbsup

May be a daft question but i always thought that once modded with the correct paint scheme etc,that the helmet was more ESB based. I have put ESB type tusks on it as well
what are people's thoughts on this? And waht would the differences be between ESB and ROTJ?

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Mar 15 2006, 02:27 PM
May be a daft question but  i always thought that once modded with the correct paint scheme etc,that the helmet was more ESB based. I have put ESB type tusks on it as well
what are people's thoughts on this? And waht would the differences be between ESB and ROTJ?
[snapback]1206384[/snapback]​

....I would say it looks more ROTJ than ESB....differences between the ESB and ROTJ?....ROTJ has a bigger chin vent, and the dome is slightly different....rounder dome flap corners while the ESB are slightly more pointed. Also the ROTJ dome seems shorter, but that may be due to the taller dome fixing mechanism....

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back