Film Noir Styled Batman WIP

RigidHollywood

Hey guys, this is my first post here on the RPF and hopefully no where close to the last.
The reason I am here today is for a short film that I wrote based on early film noir styled films and everyone's favorite detective.
I've been looking around and based on the time period I think I am going to be making the cowl out of leather which is going to be the main piece to this costume.
The rest will be kept simpler with a trench coat and goggles attached to the cowl.
For the rest of the costume pieces I will be using my art school's extensive costume collection.
My references are coming from these two pictures. I will be using aspects from both of these
batmannoir1-1112444038.jpg batman-steampunk.jpg
Any advice for a newcomer would be appreciated. I will keep you guys updated as I proceed and will post the short film when it is finished.​

Last edited:
So I did a sketch of what I want this costume to look like ( minus the shoes )
I will be wearing a black trench coat over a gray sweater.
To keep with the film noir style I may change the sweater to a turtleneck. It just depends on which one looks best.
Film Noir Batman sketch.jpg

If you are a newcomer to crafting costumes, leather is an awfully ambitious (and unforgiving) medium in which to start. I highly suggest doing some research and figuring out how much work and money it will cost you. It may be comparable in price to purchase a urethane rubber cowl from someone that will conform to your head. Or, build a Pepakura version of one that you could modify. Blackkaos's Adam West cowl could be modified with a chin strap addition to achieve the look you are going for, just as an idea.

If you are familiar with leather work, ignore all that! And just make sure you find a good pattern for the jodhpurs.

If you are a newcomer to crafting costumes, leather is an awfully ambitious (and unforgiving) medium in which to start. I highly suggest doing some research and figuring out how much work and money it will cost you. It may be comparable in price to purchase a urethane rubber cowl from someone that will conform to your head. Or, build a Pepakura version of one that you could modify. Blackkaos's Adam West cowl could be modified with a chin strap addition to achieve the look you are going for, just as an idea.

If you are familiar with leather work, ignore all that! And just make sure you find a good pattern for the jodhpurs.
Thank you so much for the advise, you probably just saved me a ton of pain. What would you think about thin EVA foam covered with plasti-dip?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the advise, you probably just saved me a ton of pain. What would you think about thin EVA foam covered with plasti-dip?

Thin EVA foam doesn't hold shaping as well as the thick versions. Not to mention the strain of wrapping it around your head probably would give it a very short lifespan.

As an alternative: what if you purchased a black WW2 style pilot's helmet/hat, and built the ears and mask part out of EVA foam and just attached those? You can probably find a hat like that for around $30, most designs come with a chin strap, it would be leather (or at least look like it), and it would probably last longer than a piece comprised entirely out of EVA foam.

Thin EVA foam doesn't hold shaping as well as the thick versions. Not to mention the strain of wrapping it around your head probably would give it a very short lifespan.

As an alternative: what if you purchased a black WW2 style pilot's helmet/hat, and built the ears and mask part out of EVA foam and just attached those? You can probably find a hat like that for around $30, most designs come with a chin strap, it would be leather (or at least look like it), and it would probably last longer than a piece comprised entirely out of EVA foam.
I think the world war 2 helmet would look a little weird considering the rest of the costume. I will keep looking, thank you for the help. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Just so you know, it isn't a true "helmet" that I was referring to, but rather more of a cap. Here's a pic for reference:

mpslT3yMlL4pEFzkpmdocZA.jpg

If you think it won't look right, , totally your call, I just wanted to make sure that we had the same mental picture.

Just so you know, it isn't a true "helmet" that I was referring to, but rather more of a cap. Here's a pic for reference:

View attachment 471978

If you think it won't look right, , totally your call, I just wanted to make sure that we had the same mental picture.
Something more of that style yes. I have found someone around here that is willing to do my leather work for me. So I am going to attempt to have a custom fit leather mask like the 1950's styled mask
vsSt2h.jpg

Since the last update I have gotten more of batman's costume minus his famous cowl. No body was around to actually get a full shot of it so we are cursed with the mirror selfie
image1.JPGimage2.JPG
For this I ended up going to good will and finding everything for a few dollars
I got the J cole gray sweater $5
View attachment DSC_0002.JPG
Some beaten up old combat boots $5
View attachment DSC_0003.JPG
And lastly the trench coat which only cost me $6
View attachment DSC_0001.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

As for the cowl, I still want it to look leathery but the person originally going to do it had to drop it.So instead of risking another person dropping out I have decided I am going to do it myself. It will no longer be out of leather but instead foam. I know it will not last nearly as long but as the deadline draws closer and closer I can't waist anymore time

We started filming yesterday and had all the characters costumes finished...except for batman's cowl. I am still working with pepakura to try and make a justice league war style bat cowl. It is not the best look for the time period but the time crunch leaves me with very little option. I will be finishing up the pepakura tonight and then moving on to foam building.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgHere is a shot of the finished Joker and Harley Quinn.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back