Fellow Snowtroopers...Some questions

tubachris85x

Master Member
My suit is starting to show some wear and tear. After countless troops, it's in need of repairs.

My biggest gripe so far is the situation with the shoulder bells. I've thought about seeking another set, although there is nothing "wrong" with my current set, I'm looking to get a slightly more accurate pair. However, I'm in no rush, but I need to revise the attachment method. I've been using Velcro but it only lasts so long especially for trooping. It's now turning into a pain to try and keep on and I feel like I'm more worried about the bells falling off then the actual troops.

Does anyone have some tips for alternate methods? I'm thinking of using snaps. I'm most afraid though of prolonged removal will eventually tear at my duster. I know the "screen accurate" method is to actually sew them on, but I don't think that will realistically last given the fact that I need to periodically soak my duster in woolite. I fear that after removing the duster from the water (that the duster retains ALOT of water, thus making it very heavy) that the threads holding it would simply fray or just break. I thought of another method just recently, but I think that would be unnecessarily over the top..

Next areas, the chest details. This past year, I've lost about 4 red buttons. 2 at Megacon, and 2 at recent troops. My only original button is the top. I bought a bag of 12 for replacements. What is the best adhesive for this? I've typically used JB weld, but it's brittle. My last repair was with CA glue. It broke off after 3 troops. I'm not intentionally banging the armor into things, though I have a knack for hitting Captain Rex with my back pack.

On the same topic, I've contemplated replacing the metal pieces. They are aluminum pieces I cut myself, but the issue is that since living in Florida, the humidity with the salt in the air causes rust. I've never really "liked" the look, but others seem to think otherwise and tell me to keep it. What are your thoughts? Should I go and find a rust resistant metal pieces?

There are other minor things in regards to some details, but Im not eager to go about and fix them. I'll post pics of the chest piece...

Thanks..

-TC

Here are the pics. Just need opinions if I should re-do this or leave it alone...

100_2683.jpg

100_2682.jpg

100_2681.jpg

I will be replacing the missing button. Also, I am aware of a few details missing inside this area

thanks

Wow bro'....you're getting some mileage and real world weathering on that baby! I'm such a drag....mine get slapped on a mannequin and become dust collectors:unsure

However, I do build all of my costumes for "trooping" and they are extremely strong being reinforced with FG, adhesives, snaps, etc.

For my shoulder bells I used snaps. Three to be exact. Just use a small peice of nylon webbing as a backer on the inside of the duster and it'll out last anything. The nylon will protect the duster fabric from being damaged with repeated removal of the shoulder bells. Cut a small square and melt the ends with a soldering iron to keep them from fraying. Then when using an awl to punch through the duster fabric and nylon you'll be ready to set your snap.

For the chest peices, I'd just sand them down until the surface rust is gone then use 3-4 coats of clear acrylic spray. It will seal the metal from corrosion. Aluminum is the most corrosion resistant metal that you'll cheaply find for costuming. Stainless will get surface rust on ends and in small pits. Plus its a mutha' to cut since it usually comes in larger gauges.

As for the red buttons, I used 3M 5lb. double faced adhesive tape. It's the same stuff that holds car emblems & moldings on. It is very, very strong. Glue is indeed too brittle, but the adhesive tape will not "break" it's hold if bumped or banged or rubbed. It just holds....constantly. It is gray with red plastic pull away for the double side. Don't use the home owners mounting squares that have the green checkerboard backing. It won't hold up to the grueling nature of trooping much longer than glue.

Hope that helps:)

I've been using the same velcro for years. I use the industrial strength brand. I sew it on my coat and superglue it inside the armor. Works just on my end.

Scott

On the same topic, I've contemplated replacing the metal pieces. They are aluminum pieces I cut myself, but the issue is that since living in Florida, the humidity with the salt in the air causes rust. ...
Thanks..

-TC

Aluminum doesn't rust. It may corrode in harsh environments though. That's steel you have there.

A blob of silicone should hold onto both things.

Wow bro'....you're getting some mileage and real world weathering on that baby! I'm such a drag....mine get slapped on a mannequin and become dust collectors:unsure

However, I do build all of my costumes for "trooping" and they are extremely strong being reinforced with FG, adhesives, snaps, etc.

For my shoulder bells I used snaps. Three to be exact. Just use a small peice of nylon webbing as a backer on the inside of the duster and it'll out last anything. The nylon will protect the duster fabric from being damaged with repeated removal of the shoulder bells. Cut a small square and melt the ends with a soldering iron to keep them from fraying. Then when using an awl to punch through the duster fabric and nylon you'll be ready to set your snap.

For the chest peices, I'd just sand them down until the surface rust is gone then use 3-4 coats of clear acrylic spray. It will seal the metal from corrosion. Aluminum is the most corrosion resistant metal that you'll cheaply find for costuming. Stainless will get surface rust on ends and in small pits. Plus its a mutha' to cut since it usually comes in larger gauges.

As for the red buttons, I used 3M 5lb. double faced adhesive tape. It's the same stuff that holds car emblems & moldings on. It is very, very strong. Glue is indeed too brittle, but the adhesive tape will not "break" it's hold if bumped or banged or rubbed. It just holds....constantly. It is gray with red plastic pull away for the double side. Don't use the home owners mounting squares that have the green checkerboard backing. It won't hold up to the grueling nature of trooping much longer than glue.

Hope that helps:)

I'm going to go through with this. I'm not sure if I'm going to use 3 snaps though. Could you provide a picture to show your placement? I want it to hold on there, but have some sort of "flex"?

Aluminum doesn't rust. It may corrode in harsh environments though. That's steel you have there.

A blob of silicone should hold onto both things.

You are right. I miss-interpreted "rust" for corrosion. It looks very similar to rust, as I've have had to deal with a lot of it when I was in the SeaCadets.

AluminumCorrosion1.jpg

Just hopped on and can give you a brief description on the snap placement. I just put them in a triangle formation. One at the top most part of the shoulder on my duster (corresponding on shoulder bell) and two others, to form a triangle. These "two others" correspond to the pointed ends on the shoulder bell. There's plenty of flex unless you really have a snug fit into your duster. If your duster is super tight through the chest & shoulder area, you might want to think about just sewing them on, or sewing the industrial velcro to your duster and glue the other peice to the shoulder bell.

Just hopped on and can give you a brief description on the snap placement. I just put them in a triangle formation. One at the top most part of the shoulder on my duster (corresponding on shoulder bell) and two others, to form a triangle. These "two others" correspond to the pointed ends on the shoulder bell. There's plenty of flex unless you really have a snug fit into your duster. If your duster is super tight through the chest & shoulder area, you might want to think about just sewing them on, or sewing the industrial velcro to your duster and glue the other peice to the shoulder bell.

My duster fits kinda snug. I have a little bit of extra material on the shoulder area from when I had longer sleeves replaced. I already have the velcro at the moment and it's not holding up. Maybe what I can do is replace the existing velcro, utilize one snap at the top of the shoulder bell and use velcro on the lower portion of the bell to give it stability...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back