Feathered Velociraptor Costume (Zoo Tycoon 2)

if the ladle is wooden the resin probably soaked into the grain despite the release, may be worth looking in your local dollar store for something like the silicone egg poachers that either clip on or float in the pan would be so much easier to use

egg_poachersa.jpg

I don't think one of those would be big enough, or round enough. I'm looking at bouncy balls now, which seems to me like a good idea. Cut one in half, then make a silicone mold?

That could work if it wouldn't mess with silicone, maybe. Dunno where I could get one though. As in, one. I don't know of any sort of children's play places like that around here.

It seems that a plastic ball for a pit is the exact right size I need...like I said though, silicone is so finnicky I'm not sure if it'd cure around one. Plus finding just one single one instead of paying $17 for 100 of them is an issue too. :p

I thought about that, but then it might interact with the resin, split a crack down it like the ladle, break, expand, etc.

So I found this super old plastic ball outside that's the perfect size, just like from ball pits. How lucky is that? :p Need to sandpaper it and figure out how to use it to make a mold...not really sure at this point.

Last edited:
WEH I actually went to make an account just to post here haha xD ITS A FUNNY THING- im also making a feathered raptor based off of monoyasha's, however im not doing the raised head since its my first suit owo'

I actually got my eyes from monoyasha too, but mine were just a bit smaller then 3', im not really sure but could you possibly use a balloon?? like, blow it up, put some sort of coating on the outside, take out the balloon, then use that as a mold? not really sure what stuff to use but ideassss

tumblr_mvo2fuZmx11rsnt00o1_400.jpg

this is what ive got so far, and the little antenna thing on the top of my head moves up and down with buttons im putting in the hands C:

speaking of hands, ...arms, whatever, i used craft foam for my feathers on both my tail and my arms, i HOPE nothing happens to it or i might have to replace all the feathers OuO;; what were you planing on using?

heres all the progress stuff if it gives you any ideas:http://torichibi.tumblr.com/tagged/utahraptor
(i too have a dumb video of me running around in my tail LOL)

waaaa i hope we get both of our suits done QWQ are you planing on going to any conventions with it? i live in Oregon but it would be awesome to pal around with another raptor~! \(>w<)/

Last edited:
Your legs look really cool! Very neat way to do them. I also like the wings, too. Craft foam was a really good idea for it.

My feathers are going to be real feathers--super crazy pricey but I've had quotes for way more than the company I plan to purchase from ($500+ quotes, found them for $250). Mine is planned to be at MegaCon 2014, which is in Orlando FL and it's my annual con.

the legs are being a paiiiin;;; i need to make sure theyre even :\ i used a morph suit to kinda build off of myself, and i made a duct tape dummy, but most of the time i just put it on and hot glued stuff while i was wearing it to make sure it was in the right spots (dont try this at home kids) also the knees are sort of worrying me, the kneecap actually moves around, so i gotta put a slippery fabric of sorts on it i supose. (i highly suggest this for yours too so the foam doesnt get caught on the fabric)

ALSO since you got the same resin claws as i did, for the big toe theyre pretty clunky, so make sure theyre on the foam really good 0_0

your legs look really good too! The feet especially, i havent started there yet sob;; in the video were you just trying to be careful with them? looks like theyre a little hard to move around in;;; (or was it the tail?)

ANYWAY yeah i wanted to use real feathers too, (at least for the big arm and tail ones) but with just whatever costume i had before i put the feathers on, i was already sorta bumping into things, and going all over the place being in character, so i decided that real feathers wasnt the best idea;; Also Oregon. Rain. not so good for feathers haha.

also! not so sure how good your vision is in your mask there, but you might want to think about having someone come with you places in your costume, that way they can tell you where to go or honestly tell people to back off your tail haha. (lots of kids in my neighborhood like to try and grab it)

I'd give using a ball pit ball a shot. The good thing about them is if something goes wrong with one; you get to have another big mac when you get a new one. I agree with Philly, they should be so smooth inside there's no need for prepping and you can just turn it inside out when it's cured to release the eye.

Then again, you could also get something like this: Barnard Ltd. - SPHERE VACUUM FORMED - *VACUUM FORMED SPHERE TRANSPARRENT 2 PIECE 40 GAUGE

Any progress on the head?

I'm not using the same huge-dewclaw as you, I'm casting my own. I plan to do like Monoyasha did though and drill two holes through the base, then use fishing line to sew it onto the fabric rather than glue it onto the foam as I don't believe it will hold on well.

The tail is easy, the feet are hard because the toes are really big and round and if they drag then it looks weird. You can see in this video, Elizabeth, the owner of Monoyasha's raptor costume, also has to pick her feet up so the toes don't drag: Velociraptor at Dragon*Con 2011 - YouTube

Not a problem, my mom and older sister will be my handlers at the con. :)

I didn't see your post earlier, Dark One. I've made some progress on the jawline a bit but right now I'm just waiting on clay (in the mail now) and the eyes to be done to keep working on it. I do need to get the pictures off my camera though because it looks a lot better than it does on the first page. Still right now I'm focusing on the skin and finishing the head. Like 60 days or so left until MegaCon (although their site is screwed up and says 100--freaked me out this morning when I looked it up and went WHAAAT??)

All righty, just got them off my camera!

DSCN3706.JPGDSCN3707.JPGDSCN3708.JPGDSCN3709.JPGDSCN3710.JPG

First two I had it laying upside down and turned the camera upside down too because the top of the head is much heavier so it squishes down the clay if it sits like that too long. With the more clay I will be fixing the eyelids, the nostrils, the top of the head annnnnd something else I have written down but don't recall. When it's all done I probably won't have more than a day or two to get CC an opinions on it before it gets finished.

My clay and silicone came! Too cold to pour silicone so I'm sculpting eyelids for now. I also fixed the nostrils. No pictures yet though.

Positive, although I'm still working on the top of it because it's supposed to be more sloped than it is. I know it looks giant when you put it next to me but when you see it from across the room it looks just right.

Still working on the head, but I'll be ready to fiberglass by the end of the week hopefully. If it wasn't so darn cold I'd pour silicone, seriously considering just doing it inside since I need to finish the mold bad.

Current list of things to do left:

Finish sculpting the head.

Make the head support structure from plastic mesh (this will also be fiberglassed when it's done).

Finish the torso, fill it in with foam or stuffing. The gap between the thighs and the torso is too big, is all.

Finish the legs in the back. I added more fabric so the legs were easy to put on and now I just need to put more foam there.

Finish the dewclaw (pour silicone, pour the plastic)

Drill the holes in the claws' bases.

Make the mold/the actual resin eyes.

Paint the eyes.

Painting the dinosaur. Airbrushing!

Finish the mouth, face, etc. Sew the claws on. Glue & sew the rubber bottoms on.

Glue all the feathers on.

Still quite a bit but hopefully it's doable. I got our MegaCon mailer today, still no info on the costume contest but I am still getting super psyched.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back