Fear and Loathing Drug Case

image.jpgAccording to a farmer I know this is a lid to a syringe vial. It is a tear off aluminum cover for the rubber you force the needle through. Not a z on the lid.

Damn, those amyl nitrate ampules, of course!!! Yes, they will probably have used normal smelling salts instead of real amyl nitrate on screen. :-D
1ud7pc2_3pt4_l.jpgampules_ashx.png

So, today I tried a method I had my eyes on for a while now.
I extracted about 80 consecutive frames from the 1080p version and combined them into one single image of 4x the resolution.
I used this method here:
http://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/
and I masked Duke's hand in each image.

superresolution_sharpened.jpg

The result is quite nice. It doesn't work wonders, but the sharpness is definitely somewhat increased. Now, you can clearly read "From the Island of..." on the bottle of Jamaican Dark Rum.
The main advantage being that there's now one image without any obscured parts.

Edit: it's also noteworthy that I averaged the layers by converting them into a smart object and then setting the blending mode to 'median'.
Edit2: interestingly, using 'mean' as blending mode reveals more details (see the bottle on the right) but results in a less nice image, with more ghosting.
superresolution_sharpened_mean.jpg

Attachments

• superresolution.jpg
    superresolution.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 456
Last edited:
View attachment 339987"We had two bags of grass, sevety five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocain a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, But once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."

Hello. Did you ever find out what brand of rum that is in the drug case? Thanks

Hello. Did you ever find out what brand of rum that is in the drug case? Thanks
Usually the prop department would have a graphic designer make up a fake brand that fits with the color scheme. You won't find this particular brand, but if anyone wants to give it a shot making a graphic, I'd buy them a coffee.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back