Favorite ad-libbed film lines

Probe Droid

Master Member
Eveyone knows "You're going to need a bigger boat," and "It's not the years, it's the mileage" were unscripted lines contributed by the actors. Let's have your favs.

The Godfather
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli." Richard Castellano playing Clemenza added "take the cannoli."
"What do you think this like the Army where you can shoot 'em from a mile away? No you gotta get up like this and, badda-bing, you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit." The "badda-bing" wasn't in the script. Jimmy Caan made it up on the spot. He said he hadn't thought about it, it just came out.

The Shining
"Here's Johnny!"

Taxi Driver
"You talkin' to me?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my favorite ad-libbed line would be from Popeye.

While Williams is reading the note left with Sweepea, the child gurgles what sounds like "baby". And Williams quick witted reply was "That's right, you're a baby. It says so right here."

Aliens: "She thought they said Illegal Aliens and signed up."

Blade Runner, the end speech by Rutger Hauer. I had read that this was supposed to be like a 3 page speech and he cut it down on the fly on his own, had everyone in tears and they ran with it.

Indy shooting the swordsman in Raiders. I know its not adlibbed lines but the whole scene was adlib.

One of my favorites was in "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man." They're robbing an armored car and Don Johnson's character (with bandana over his face) jumps from the roof of the car to the street. His bandana falls down for a moment and under his breath he mutters an obscenity of a scatalogical nature. I'm convinced that the bandana falling (and his reaction) were unintentional.

Han Solo's "I know" response to the "I love you" line.

"hey I'm walkin' here!"

Pretty much all of Bridesmaids or any Christopher Guest movie.

"Mein Führer, I can walk!!" The last line from Dr.Strangelove. One of the funniest scenes in the movie. Much of Peter Seller's lines were ad-libbed.

Indy: "Get back to Cairo. Get us some transport to England: boat, plane, anything. Meet me at Omar's. Be ready for me. I'm going after that truck."
Sallah: "How."
Indy: "[adlib] I don't know. I'm making this up as I go."

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum" - They Live.

Hands down my favorite. This line is definitely the most (mis)quoted from the movie, not to mention that the fight scene between Nada (Piper) and Frank (David) was apparently adlibbed as well. I think they were actually fighting each other, but I'm not sure about that. Regardless, staging a fight on the spot makes it the best adlib scene ever.

While not quite ad-libbed, a big kudos must go to British character actor Robert Newton, who when cast as Long John Silver in the Disney 1950 version of Treasure Island added the arrrr to his dialog, which has become the standard pirate speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
The end speech by Hauer in bladerunner for sure. Also any of the stuff from the Grumpy Old Men movies, Burgess Meredith was a master to be able to even get half them out without cracking up.

My favorite is more of a scene, since the whole scene was adlibbed and none of it was in the script.

The last scene of Pineapple Express when Danny McBride, Seth Rogan, and James Franco are all in the diner eating breakfast. Just the whole conversation I thought was great of them playing off of each other.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back