Favorite ad-libbed film lines

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Probe Droid, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Eveyone knows "You're going to need a bigger boat," and "It's not the years, it's the mileage" were unscripted lines contributed by the actors. Let's have your favs.

The Godfather
    "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." Richard Castellano playing Clemenza added "take the cannoli."
    "What do you think this like the Army where you can shoot 'em from a mile away? No you gotta get up like this and, badda-bing, you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit." The "badda-bing" wasn't in the script. Jimmy Caan made it up on the spot. He said he hadn't thought about it, it just came out.

The Shining
    "Here's Johnny!"

Taxi Driver
    "You talkin' to me?"

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

The obvious Han Solo ones.

3. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

I guess my favorite ad-libbed line would be from Popeye.

While Williams is reading the note left with Sweepea, the child gurgles what sounds like "baby". And Williams quick witted reply was "That's right, you're a baby. It says so right here."

4. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

"What do they call you? 'Wheels'?" - Hugh Jackman to Patrick Stewart in X-Men.

5. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Wasn't Mal's "faster would be better" ad libbed?

6. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  7. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Aliens: "She thought they said Illegal Aliens and signed up."

Blade Runner, the end speech by Rutger Hauer. I had read that this was supposed to be like a 3 page speech and he cut it down on the fly on his own, had everyone in tears and they ran with it.

Indy shooting the swordsman in Raiders. I know its not adlibbed lines but the whole scene was adlib.

8. RTFM

RTFM New Member

I have to go with The Shining and Jack Nicholson's "Here's Johnny!"
    (I drive my wife crazy with that quote)

9. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

One of my favorites was in "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man." They're robbing an armored car and Don Johnson's character (with bandana over his face) jumps from the roof of the car to the street. His bandana falls down for a moment and under his breath he mutters an obscenity of a scatalogical nature. I'm convinced that the bandana falling (and his reaction) were unintentional.

10. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Most of Marlon Brandos dialogue in "Apocolypse Now" :lol

11. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Han Solo's "I know" response to the "I love you" line.

"hey I'm walkin' here!"

Pretty much all of Bridesmaids or any Christopher Guest movie.

12. jedichase

jedichase Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

pretty much all of Good Morning Vietnam.

13. tcsmit29

tcsmit29 Well-Known Member

"Mein Führer, I can walk!!" The last line from Dr.Strangelove. One of the funniest scenes in the movie. Much of Peter Seller's lines were ad-libbed.

14. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

"Robocop": Clarence has just blown Murphy's right hand off with a shotgun blast...

"Well give the man a hand!"

Kevin

15. Indys brother

Indys brother Active Member

Indy: "Get back to Cairo. Get us some transport to England: boat, plane, anything. Meet me at Omar's. Be ready for me. I'm going after that truck."
    Sallah: "How."
    Indy: "[adlib] I don't know. I'm making this up as I go."

16. Infamous Lunchbox

Infamous Lunchbox New Member

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick *, and I'm all out of bubble gum" - They Live.

Hands down my favorite. This line is definitely the most (mis)quoted from the movie, not to mention that the fight scene between Nada (Piper) and Frank (David) was apparently adlibbed as well. I think they were actually fighting each other, but I'm not sure about that. Regardless, staging a fight on the spot makes it the best adlib scene ever.

17. Probe Droid

While not quite ad-libbed, a big kudos must go to British character actor Robert Newton, who when cast as Long John Silver in the Disney 1950 version of Treasure Island added the arrrr to his dialog, which has become the standard pirate speak.

18. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The end speech by Hauer in bladerunner for sure. Also any of the stuff from the Grumpy Old Men movies, Burgess Meredith was a master to be able to even get half them out without cracking up.

19. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

My favorite is more of a scene, since the whole scene was adlibbed and none of it was in the script.

The last scene of Pineapple Express when Danny McBride, Seth Rogan, and James Franco are all in the diner eating breakfast. Just the whole conversation I thought was great of them playing off of each other.

20. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Karl Urban coming up with the, "All I've got left are my bones" line.

21. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Bill Murray's speech in Scrooge'd. The director said "Action" and just let him go.

22. Probe Droid

Tommy DeVito: What do you mean I'm funny

Henry Hill: It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy. (laughs).

Tommy DeVito: what do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?

Henry Hill: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you tell the story and everything.

Tommy DeVito: Funny how? What's funny about it?

Anthony Stabile: Tommy no, You got it all wrong.

Tommy DeVito: Oh, oh, Anthony. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?

Henry Hill: Jus...

Tommy DeVito: What?

Henry Hill: Just... ya know... you're funny.

Tommy DeVito: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fd up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Henry Hill: Just... you know, how you tell the story, what?

Tommy DeVito: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the f am I funny, what the f is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny

Henry Hill: (long pause) Get the f out of here, Tommy!

Tommy DeVito: (everyone laughs) Ya! I almost had him, I almost had him.. Frankie, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, Henry. You may fold under questioning.

This best Goodfellas bit is based on an incident Pesci had with a mobster when he was a waiter. He mentioned it to Scorsese who let him and Liotta improvise the scene. The other actors weren’t told the dialog because Scorsese wanted them to look uncomfortable. Can you believe the two actors just made that up? Genius.

23. Mr. K

Mr. K Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Asps. Very dangerous... You go first."

24. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Pretty much anything Gunnery Sergeant Hartman said in Full Metal Jacket.

R. Lee Ermey was a genius.

25. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

Ah thats a great one, I completely forgot about it.

26. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wonder how many (if any!) of these examples are true ad-libs. "I know", for example, while not in the script, was come up with by Ford all right, but not when the camera was rolling. It was in discussions with the director during the day.

Or does "ad lib" not mean "thought of that very second to everyone's surprise" like I think it does? :lol

27. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Maybe we can change the choreography...so they don't trod upon it."

"We're experimenting with the packaging."
    "Do they have monkeys opening it?"

28. Daemon324

Daemon324 Active Member

Bill Pullman's "Today we celebrate out Independence Day!" As that pretty much cemented the title for the movie, and it actually allowed them to title the much as that. Not sure if it's an actual ad-lib, but I know it wasn't in the original script.

29. payton paison

payton paison Well-Known Member

The Godfather
    "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." Richard Castellano playing Clemenza added "take the cannoli."

Great line. That's why it's been my signature lol
    Good call !

30. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Sort of wondering the same thing...

In my experience the best - if not only - way to determine if a line was an ad-lib or not is to watch the Director's Commentary.

if this is not the only way, then how do you guys know these are truly ad-libbed?

31. PHArchivist

Do physical reactions count...?

Had a wonderfully enlightening chat with the operator of the airstrip in the Florida Keys used in License To Kill.

Apparently, in the scene when Dalton is sitting in the door of the Coast Guard chopper and his hat is "shot" out of his hand, Dalton was not expecting the dquib and his shocked response was quite real.

32. Mostly Fantasy

Mostly Fantasy Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In "The Philadelphia Story", Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart are talking, Stewart "drunk", and hiccups for real during a take, Grant says "gesundheit" and almost cracks Stewart up.

33. PHArchivist

Was Baldwin's impersonation of Connery in The Hunt For Red October ad-libbed...?

34. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

I think I read somewhere that it was, but it was keeping in line with his impersonation of Fred Thompson earlier in the film.

35. 22 Stars

22 Stars Member

Sorry if I missed this already but, De Kelley's line in ST II:

Spock: Jim, be careful

McCoy: WE will....

36. mmarlon brando

mmarlon brando Active Member

The blood spit and phone call line in the police station were as well, and happened during Kurtwood Smith's first day on set. My personal pick is from Die Hard with a Vengeance, after John McClane walks into the Federal Reserve:

Terrorist: "Are you alright?"
    McClane: "Yeah, it's um...laundry day."

So many good ad-libs from those films, but that one always makes me laugh.

37. Probe Droid

For the sake of the discussion, let's define ad-libbed as dialog contributed by the actor instead of the screenwriter. Done.

38. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Some of the ones listed are definitely not the actor's lines (on set or as a change to the script), and I'm not sure this is a legit one either but I've heard it was ad-libbed:

Bill Murray in the diner in Kingpin, turns around in his seat and waves to a couple girls (extras) sitting behind him. "Hi. Not you. (nodding to the other girl) Hi." :lol

39. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's a Wonderful Life when a drunk Uncle Billy walks off camera, someone behind the scenes knocked over some items making a huge crashing sound. Uncle Billy replies with, "I'm alright. I'm allllright." Jimmy Stewart cracks a smile.

40. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I've wondered about the SWAT team in The Blues Brothers. One of the heavy armored guys * his thumb on a rosebush and yells 'owww!'.

41. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, so I did a little investigative work on all of these "ad libs" you guys have been posting. Come to find that at least half of these were not ad libs at all but rather "commonly thought to be ad libs". I'm not going to post any examples as I don't want to embarass anybody. Let's just say a quick Google search will shed some light on many of these so called "ad libs'. :rolleyes

42. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Let's read my signature line, and not stomp through a thread where so far we're all having fun for a change OK?

43. Daemon324

Daemon324 Active Member

Hey, if mine was, let me know. I don't care about embarrassment. I all ready said I didn't know. :lol

44. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol Whatevs, dood. But we'll play your way...

Hey, guys! Did you know the words "May the Force Be with You" were ad libbed by Alec Guiness?!

45. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

Another one from Hugh: "Go f#ck yourself!" - Wolverine, X-Men: First Class

46. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whoa. That was a lot of dialogue that I did not know was ad-libbed.

From the top of my head:
    Ian McKellen in Fellowship of the Ring hitting his head on the door frame, yelling "owww" and acting it out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  47. PHArchivist

The producers talk this up in the special features.

Can't recall if it was scripted or not, but it was planned enough that Rebecca Romin reportedly expressed regret that she didn't get to say it (or say something as cool).

I suppose her response could have been after-the-fact. But I think at best, Jackman may have suggested it prior to the take. But I don't think it was a pure, off-the-cuff ad-lib.

48. PHArchivist

From IMDB:

"Hugh Jackman accepted the opportunity to cameo as Logan/Wolverine when he learned he would be the only character in the film to use the f-word. He improvised the line, "Go f-ck yourself," after using 7 other takes to say, "F-ck off." "

So...

A bit of both - a bit planned; a bit improvised...

49. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I like the one in its a wonderfull life, dont remember the actor or characters name but it is when one of them is playing drunk and he walks out of camera view, you hear him stumble over things (which was not part of the film) then you hear him call out "I'm O,K". That was totaly ad-libbed and now has been reused in so many movies.

50. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Oh don't be facetious, everybody knows Chewbacca adlibbed that line when he said "Rrrhhhaaawwwwrr" in the trash compactor.