Favorite ad-libbed film lines

Yeah, so I did a little investigative work on all of these "ad libs" you guys have been posting. Come to find that at least half of these were not ad libs at all but rather "commonly thought to be ad libs". I'm not going to post any examples as I don't want to embarass anybody. Let's just say a quick Google search will shed some light on many of these so called "ad libs'. :rolleyes

Let's read my signature line, and not stomp through a thread where so far we're all having fun for a change OK?

Let's read my signature line, and not stomp through a thread where so far we're all having fun for a change OK?

:lol Whatevs, dood. But we'll play your way...

Hey, guys! Did you know the words "May the Force Be with You" were ad libbed by Alec Guiness?!

Whoa. That was a lot of dialogue that I did not know was ad-libbed.

From the top of my head:
Ian McKellen in Fellowship of the Ring hitting his head on the door frame, yelling "owww" and acting it out.

Last edited:
Another one from Hugh: "Go f#ck yourself!" - Wolverine, X-Men: First Class

The producers talk this up in the special features.

Can't recall if it was scripted or not, but it was planned enough that Rebecca Romin reportedly expressed regret that she didn't get to say it (or say something as cool).

I suppose her response could have been after-the-fact. But I think at best, Jackman may have suggested it prior to the take. But I don't think it was a pure, off-the-cuff ad-lib.

From IMDB:

"Hugh Jackman accepted the opportunity to cameo as Logan/Wolverine when he learned he would be the only character in the film to use the f-word. He improvised the line, "Go f-ck yourself," after using 7 other takes to say, "F-ck off." "

So...

A bit of both - a bit planned; a bit improvised...

I like the one in its a wonderfull life, dont remember the actor or characters name but it is when one of them is playing drunk and he walks out of camera view, you hear him stumble over things (which was not part of the film) then you hear him call out "I'm O,K". That was totaly ad-libbed and now has been reused in so many movies.

:lol Whatevs, dood. But we'll play your way...

Hey, guys! Did you know the words "May the Force Be with You" were ad libbed by Alec Guiness?!

Oh don't be facetious, everybody knows Chewbacca adlibbed that line when he said "Rrrhhhaaawwwwrr" in the trash compactor.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back