Farscape John Crichton. (leather outfit.)

I used a belt from here:
Leather Duty Belt - Protec UK

I got some aluminum tape to add to the buckle

JCclear5a-Copy.jpg

As for boots, I really don't think that they're Doc Martens

farscape3_1024.jpg

Farscape-1-XIF5221NWY-1024x768.jpg

The closest I could find were actually boots I already owned. Issued to me when I was in the Air Force

IMG_2059-1.jpg

I'll try and find out the make/model

As for the belt pouch, I got a friend in the UK Garrison to make it for me, using the reference pics on this site (of a screen used pouch)

Last edited:
I really need to keep a closer eye on this thread, LOL!! It's good to know that even after all this time there are still people interested in Farscape and it's costumes :D

Right, trousers. I'm sure it's been said before, but these were custom for the show, so the only way to get screen accurate ones is to have some made, which is sadly expensive. If you're not after 100% accuracy any old leather pants would do the job, and I think (though I've not really looked into it) that motorcycle pants are probably about as close as you can get, so there are much cheaper way of going about it. Jason, there's a good chance the site you found was from the person who made my trousers (Here's the link to the photo gallery of her work) She also made the rest of my costume.

The boots from season 2 onwards were definitely 10 eyelet Dr. Martens, they have a very distinctive tread pattern which can be seen in a number of episodes. As a matter of interest they didn't actually black out the yellow stitching, there's a close up of john stomping on a shrunken Scarren in "I Shrink Therefore I Am" and you can see the stitching is still yellow. It's worth pointing out that with polishing and general wear the yellow will dull and become less noticeable. Magnus, the ones you're looking for are the 1490s, at least they're the ones I've been using and look the closest from what I've seen on screen and in person.

all my pictures of the belt and the pouch are here the screen used belts were just a strip of leather and a buckle held together with duct tape (likely so they could use the same belt for different actors) The hard part is finding the correct buckle which is a 2" YKK side release. I managed to find the 1" ones when I was having my vest made, but have never managed to find a 2". Nobby, awesome find on the belt you linked to, I'll be getting one of those myself soon as the belt is the only part of my costume I've never been happy with.

I hope this helps, like I said before the essay, it's great to see people still interested in Farscape, John's is still my favourite costume after all this time, so it's good to see that others like it as well. :D

Damn, I somehow missed the update!

jason1976 - Thanks for the tip. I think it's Katarra. I'll shoot her a query.

Nobby - thnaks for the link. Will definitely grab one of those belts. Only addition would seem to be the pouch, the belt dongle (whatever than thing is), two additional belt loops and some chrome tape for the buckle.

TeeKay - thanks for the link. I note they're in the UK; is it worth sending them an email? I somehow doubt they'd take orders for custom clothes from measurements from international clients.

Thanks all for the new info.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

TeeKay - thanks for the link. I note they're in the UK; is it worth sending them an email? I somehow doubt they'd take orders for custom clothes from measurements from international clients.

Unfortunately, probably not. As all of her work is custom, she'd need you there for a few fitting sessions, at least that's how she worked when I was having mine made.

Sorry I couldn't help any more.

Awesome job guys! I'm just starting my pk uniform and this has been so helpful! My twin sister and I will both be working on these in the upcoming year so as to be ready for next yrs Dragon Con :lol I will post the progress

So I'm finally after like 10 years in a position to possibly afford some of this.

I was looking at the Pendragon stuff and didn't like the vest inaccuracies. (Sleeves caps/shape of the red leather on the back) but other places have been twice the price of Pendragon's coat and vest for the coat alone. Thus the age old problem accuracy Vs price. Does anyone have ballpark figures having had one of these made in the UK?

I saw the ultimate leather link from Teekay which seemed to suggest £1000 to £1600 for the coat (I'd have to enquire specifically but I imagine the higher end).

Any suggestions of places that might do this sort of thing to get some quotes? I also had a look at Wested. Maybe somewhere outside the UK will be cheaper who knows?

Last edited:
So I'm finally after like 10 years in a position to possibly afford some of this.

Glad to see someone else who's still interested in doing this costume! I've been piecing things together over the last couple of years -- holster, Winona, t-shirt, boots. I just ordered a Moya comm badge... but now it's time to get serious about the leather.

The more I look at the details (particularly Teekay's photos of the screen-used costumes), the pickier I get about spending money on pieces that aren't at least kind of close to accurate. The latest thing that caught my eye were the non-leather side panels on both the vest and the leather pants.

Anyway, I'll probably go with a vest from Pendragon and I'm checking with a local leather shop to see what it would cost to replicate the pants.

My issue with Pendragon is it's clearly a standard Ren Fair pattern they've just coloured in. I don't like the fatness of the Oxblood bit at the back. I'll admit I am finding it difficult to commit like £2000 to this.

I'm not working on a Crichton costume, but trying to get things in order for some of Aeryn's costumes. But I agree with you guys, it's hard to spend that kind of money on something that's not accurate (I'm picky!). Pendragon has some really nice pieces, but after I really looked at the costume and the work they'd done, I'd have to heavily modify their stuff to get it where I'd want it to be. And then it's a question of do I spend the money just to alter it or pay a little more and have someone create it exactly how I want it.

Yes,totally agree with Osric on the inaccuracies of Pendragon. I have their PK commando jacket, Lots of errors and although their work examples pictured on their site look ok otherwise, the one they construct for you might not be as nice. Mine had the wrong buckles, wrong sewing of buckles and wrong material in certain places.
Their leather work and seaming is pretty good, just not screen perfect. Just tell them exactly what you want done to fix the issues and watch out for oversized arm or bicep shoulder sections, they seem to have a hard time with this on jackets. Their supposed to be form fitting and not drooping or bunched up in any areas.

I was looking at some ST uniforms and saw this show up on CosplaySky - anybody know someone who's bought this?
Farscape Commander John Robert Crichton, Jr Cosplay Costume Coat ---- Farscape Cosplay Costume | CosplaySky.com
Yeah, its pleather and a bunch of things are wrong, but it does even include the pants.
I'm still hoping to talk to Pendragon directly at the Texas Ren Fest and get a coat & vest with some corrections made..

These do look like a decent place to start. Though an entire costume of pleather sounds like a steam bath. The pants in their photos appear to have the front inverted-V detailing, but from what I've heard from people who've bought from them, the details you get often don't match the pics on their web site. (There are a couple of threads on here about cosplaysky.com that you might want to look at.)

It's unclear whether the holster comes with the outfit - it's in the pics, but not in the description. Not that the holster is much to look at -- I don't even think it could fit a pulse pistol :(

Ugh, ok, I see what you mean now..... Why the 1701st likes them for uniforms, I don't know. Selection, maybe? Well, its a shame - They even have Aeryn's coat and a Chiana outfit too. :(

Hay all,

Love this thread, really helped me finish off my costume with the belt and metal tape idea! I've been having professional photo shoots of all of my costumes to add to my new personal costume website and Farscape was the last one i did. Absolutely love the outfit! One of the best in science fiction history if you ask me! It was always a fantasy of mine to own the costume since i first saw Farscape on TV. I finally got my hands on one thanks to TeeKay (if that is indeed you Toby) years ago but only recently have i finished it off with the belt thanks to here and got photos taken of it. Its certainty a pride and joy outfit and i hope to be able to be thin enough to fit into it for ever haha!

Also i saw the Cosplaysky's recent Farscape additions, i am both excited that they are branching out and having not known there was a Chiana outfit until just now it is kind of cool but if they are low quality then...well is it worth it? I have bought several Trek costumes from Cosplaysky and each one changes in quality, there TOS is terrible while there ENT is far better than i thought i was going to be! Who knows what this would be like in person but i would be interested in seeing one. I am happy however to stick with mine!

Sam 1.jpgsam 5.jpg

So what do you guys think ^.^

If you like my outfit and are interested in seeing the other 2 i have had photo shoots for (Doctor Who 8th Doctor *Night of the Doctor* /Stargate Atlantis) then hop over to http://power543costumes.wordpress.com/ and click costume tab you want and check it out!

Attachments

• Sam 1.jpg
    Sam 1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 217
  • sam 5.jpg
    sam 5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 041A2275.jpg
    041A2275.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 585
  • 041A2330.jpg
    041A2330.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 239
Been working on this myself.

Got the belt that was recommended here. Good call. It's a nice belt. For the buckle, instead of tape I went with Metal Side Release Buckles Got one uncolored and one black and mixed em up.

For jacket and vest I went with Farscape John Crichton Peacekeeper Coat | Ben Browder Costume The coat looks good (to me. Some are bigger sticklers for accuracy than I am). The vest is not 100% accurate though. All leather, no cloth side panels, and the buckles on the vest are all plastic (the coat has metal buckles). Honestly though, I'm very happy with them. Inaccuracy aside, they are actually really nice quality and a good fit.

For the pants, this may be a little pricey, but honestly it was not nearly as expensive as I would have expected. I went to Make your own jeans Leather Pants - Jeans Style - 50 Colors Leather Pants [Leather Jeans - 11 Colors] - $119.00 : Makeyourownjeans.com, Custom Jeans | Designer Jeans I chose soft rich black and it turned out to be a good call. I think they look nice.

Wow, this thread has come back to life, I see.
I'm working on a costume as well. Got the pants and jacket. Now would really like to find out how to create the pulse rifle and holster...

Good to see this one's still got some legs :p

I got the CosplaySky costume as an interim one for an upcoming con here in Brisbane with some of the FarScape cast. I'll post some pictures when I can.

I'll be upgrading it as I go along. The big kicker is still the pants, but has anyone seen or bought these?

http://www.slimfitjackets.com/Slimfit-Leather-Pants/leather-pants-for-men/farscape-leather-pants

If not, I will buy a pair sometime in the near future and report back. if worst comes to worst, I can send them as a base pair to that UK company to get a more accurate pair made.

Be seeing you

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back