Farscape holster pics, and info needed,.

Do you think it will mater what "brand" of pulse pistol people own, when it comes to the holsters.?

I know the licensed one is a tad bigger then some of the "nock-offs", and that some of the "nock-offs", very slightly.

I don't think there is enough of a deference between most of them to be a problem, but then I've never made, or owned one of these holsters.

I never had problem with my old ones fitting others pistols, but its going to be a pretty loose fit anyway, its not like it totally locks into the holster, its a general shape and the clip on the grip is what holds it.

On the subject of the clip, that damn this has always confused me, i was able to make something tht worked like it does on the show, but was never accurate, ive got video, animated gifs and photos of the clip, but i still cant figure out how the damn thing works because i cant ever see a hinge anywhere. I know the spring keeps it locked on the area between the back of the grip and the butt of the gun, but i cant tell where its pivoting...

but i think now looking at it that the piece of metal its on there thats riveted to the body, that the whole metal strip and clip just bends back and forth with the spring pushing it downward, so its basically a bending piece of metal...

None of that probably makes sense, but i just typed myself through it and i think ive figured it out :p

I was thinking that if we're all basically using Resin props, how about implanting rare earth magnets into the pistol and then placing metal into the holster itself.

The magnets should hold the pistol in place secure enough, with the help of a latch or something, the pistol should never come out accidently.

What do you guys think?

honestly i dont think magnets will be needed, aside from not being accurate. What holds the pistol in is gravity pulling the front down against the inside ledge of the holster, which should be the same overall size for all pistols out there, and the clip on the butt of the gun, which will be the tricky part, because then weve gotta hope all pistols are the same length, and that the section between the grip and the butt is the same thickness, because that clip piece has a sculpted in groove to grab around that area and push down, basically holding the gun in by friction. But i think it will work.

5872372.jpeg

Last edited:
I was thinking it was something like an oddly shaped chip clip, like you would have for a bag of chips.:lol

I like the magnet idea, but I really don't want to have to mess with my Pulse pistol, it looks so nice as it is.

if peoples pulse pistols end up being a little too small for the holster, they could always add a little extra padding to the holster in those spots, and if it's too big, they could always shave(well actually sand) a little bit off. The more I think about it, I don't think the difference between the different brands of pistols out there, will be a problem at all.

yeah, a chipclip type clip would actually work better, but looking at the reference, that clip piece is one solid piece, it doesnt open up like that, and my diagrams above are the best way i can describe how i see it working.

yeah, the diagram is exactly how I remember it working. I can just see some people loosing the pistol while walking around cons. but then again, I never had one of these holsters, so I don't know how well it works.

Any source for the clips themselves?

well from stories ive heard, the real prop had the same problem actually holding the guns, so they changed it, but i want it to be done accurately so... :p

That's cool with me. The hardThat's cool with me. The hard part (or in my case, the seemingly impossible part.) is making the original main body of the holster, and then vacuum forming it. (both are way out of my scope) But you've done that before, so that should be do able for you.

After that, if you do a run, then if any of use don't like how their pistols fight it, or don't like how their pistol are held into the holster, they can always make mods, (to the pistol, or the holster) heck they could add Velcro or magnets if they want. I'm just supper excited that the part I can't do, may be getting done. (the part I mentioned above.)

Really, as long as a run happens, and it is anywhere close to affordable, you really can't do wrong by me however you decide to do it :)

I haven't set my new computer up to do screen caps yet, but there is a great shot of Aeryn's season 2 holster, minus the pistol, in "A Clockwork Nebari ". It's nere the beginning of the episode, and it's shot from the front of here leg, so it makes it one of the best views of the side of the clipy thing on the holster, that I've seen.

On a side know does anyone know if there is a "Image gallery" on the new farscape complete box set? (I always like that feature, on the old DVD's, but haven't been able to find it anywhere on the new ones.)

Well. ok, I have an event coming up in less then a month, I need two holsters, and I have a very little budget. I've looked at buying one them, but there are no season 1-2 versions available, and the only season 3-4 I can get, is out of my price range for one, let along 2.

I've looked at making my own season 3-4 holsters, but I have very little leather working experience, and it could still be very, very, expensive, and still might not turn out.

I have (up until to day) avoided the idea of doing my own season 1-2 holster, because I have no way to vacuumforming (I've been trying to get my stark mask vacuumformed for years, and years. :(). And I can't even get silicon, or resin, right now, for anything else I could come up with. However, today, I was over on Karl's Web, looking at his old cast holster, and I got to thinking. Now, I know, I konw, the once for the show really where vacuumformed, and I know that if I tried to make one out of something like resin, the thin parts where the rivets go would just snap off.

But, bear with me. I have limited time, and limited time, and I'm all about the cheep, hardware store builds. So, here is the idea I had today. Scalped the outer layers (the thicker parts) out of clay, mold them in something cheep like plaster of Paris (I know silicon would be better, but again, I'm on a budget, though I could do the "getto mold making thing.) Then make a casting, of that part in something like fiber glass, with the strips to reinforce it. Or, Bondo, with a wire mesh throughout, Or the same thing with 2 part epoxy (not something like JB Weld, but something cheaper, like that stuff you can get in a bucket. :lol) Then sand, cast, or other wise, creat curve in the back of this piece to ruffly fit the shape of the leg, then take something like sheet styrene, or some other strong, but flexible substance like it, to create the thinner lower level of the holster that gets riveted to the rubber part. Use hidden rivets, and epoxy, to affix the upper, and lower levels, And then just do the bottom layer, in rubber, like it should be, with the holster riveted on like it was for the show. (or should the part that goes against the leg, and wraps around, be leather.) The then parts that get riveted to the rubber part, would be the same styrene, that it would be if it was vacuumformed, so it would work much the same, but the upper, more complex shapes would be made of a harder material. (circumnavigating the need for vacuumforming.)

I know, it's not how they did it, and I know there is a lot of folks around here that would never use anything but the accurate techniques, and materials, but when your on a budget, and a deadline, sometimes you have to think out side the box. This could be done cheep, and kind of fast. I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, I'm just asking could this plan (or some version of it) work?

Oh, and if I do, do this, kylash327, can you tell me where to get the rubber for that bottom layer. (any tips as to how to cut it, etc. or any other holster tips, would be great. :))

the rubber i used was for floor matting on the back of a truck... no idea where to get it, i just found the stuff =\

Well, it's been a few more months, my holster is still in the works and a long way off, and at best, it will be a place holder for a better one. Is anyone else working on either style of holster? For sale, or just for themselves?

Does anyone have any news on this? I've been looking for years, and I even started my own season 1 version last years, but didn't get very far with it. I'm still in need of one for my costume.

I too am incredibly interested in this.

I keep staring at Kylash's old post on FrellMeDead about making the holster, but I just can't quite figure out all the details involved.

I am (or at least I was, a year ago.) pretty good when it comes to the details on both version.

However, I'm no leather worker, so I'm doubtful to how well I could do the season 3-4 version. And as much as leather cost, I would really hate to put that kind of money into it, only to ruin all of it.

As for the season 1-2 version. I started a sculpt, but gave it a rest afte it didn't get done for the convention I wanted it for, and the project has set on a shelf for almost a year now. I have a good start, but I have a long ways to go, and even if I get it there (by some miracle) I still have no way to vacuum form it. :( (I have had a stark mask I have been trying to get vac formed for years, and year, now. :( )

We had the folks to do this kind of work back in the day, but wall some of them are still here, most of them have long since moved on from Farscape. Such is the curse for hangers on like us. We keep loving this stuff, but the rest drop away, and move on. Then again, I was on here when the show was still on, and there really wasn't much of a run back then either. (oh there where a few folks that might have made holster for themselves, and a few extras, but I don't recall a full blown run.)

I hate to say it, after all that I have posted in this thread, but I'm kind of regretting selling the season 3-4 holsters that I got off of ebay. I may not have like the materials used, or the cost for something made of such cheep materials, but it was pretty accurate looking over all, and it was here in my hand, unlike where I am now, with is with nothing to stick my pulse pistal in. Except for my belt, or the face of a Piece keeper. :lol

Though I would point out, if you look at then end of season one, when John is wearing the red, and black comando jacket, he doesn't have a holster of his own yet, and he does put his PP in the back of his belt. :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back