Farnsworth Discussion

Re: Warehouse 13 Farnsworth Research Thread

Slightly off topic, but related to the topic, I was listening to the audio commentary track for the first episode of the season ("Time Will Tell"). The producer of the show is talking about the props made for the show, and he said, and I quote, "It costs $4,000 to make one Farnsworth."

$4,000 for just one? That means that they spent at least $12,000 for the three primaries seen throughout the show, and possibly more than that for backups and stunt versions. The producer should hire you, Jmtwo, since you not only made a screen accurate Farnsworth, but for a lot less than the ones the prop department makes for the show.

Yeah, someone also said that the props on the show don't even function either...Did you hear any of that on the commentary?

Yeah, someone also said that the props on the show don't even function either...Did you hear any of that on the commentary?

Naturally, no prop works the way it does in a film or TV show (that's the great thing about film, you can make anything work or not work the way you want it). But, to answer your question, I didn't hear that bit on the commentary.

Naturally, no prop works the way it does in a film or TV show

Yes, I know that...Im not talking about actually transmitting video etc and being able to communicate with another Farnsworth.
Im talking about electronics that light up the red bulb and and create the buzzing sound.

Even members on this board were able to to create Farnsworths that light up and make sounds.

Yes, I know that...Im not talking about actually transmitting video etc and being able to communicate with another Farnsworth.
Im talking about electronics that light up the red bulb and and create the buzzing sound.

Even members on this board were able to to create Farnsworths that light up and make sounds.

Oh, okay... Sorry, you weren't really clear with that. But, yeah, I agree with you on that. At least the replica done by Jmtwo was not only screen accurate, but took it up a notch by doing the ringing and lighting up like you said, and well under $4,000.

Oh, okay... Sorry, you weren't really clear with that. But, yeah, I agree with you on that. At least the replica done by Jmtwo was not only screen accurate, but took it up a notch by doing the ringing and lighting up like you said, and well under $4,000.

Yeah, i find it hard to believe that 4 grand was spent on a single Fannsworth.
Maybe the faceplate was made of solid gold, and the crystal was made from a polished diamond.

Yeah, i find it hard to believe that 4 grand was spent on a single Fannsworth.
Maybe the faceplate was made of solid gold, and the crystal was made from a polished diamond.

Or maybe they just paid industry rates for custom design and assembly work on a custom item...

@ $100 an hour $4000 is only one weeks labor... That is hardly unrealistic for professional contract work...

Copying a prop is a whole lot easier then developing it from scratch, and it has certainly taken a lot more then one week for it to be even copied...

Actually it's easier to make a prop from scratch rather than copying it.
In order to copy a prop you need to identify and hunt down specific parts used on the original prop. (which is the main reason it took so long for us to build the Farnsworh)
Creating a prop from scratch doesn't require the bulder to adhere to a specific lis of parts.

Creating a prop from scratch doesn't require the bulder to adhere to a specific lis of parts.

Honestly you don't know what design aspects the original builder was required to adhere to, but given the theme of the show you can bet there was a list...

If you are totally winging the design on your own and not following outlined concept and input from the customer, revisions, and total 180° design changes per customer request, yeah it's easy... But when your are dealing with client request and specifics it that will require the same hunting down of certain parts that fit the design aspects... You might have some fudge room but not it all cases, and you might very well go through several revisions before one is accepted by the client, all this takes time and drives up cost...

Do you honestly believe they whipped up the Farnsworth communicator in less then one weeks time, from nothing to a finished product approved and handed to the studio for filming? As I said @ $100 an hour (probably on the low side of the industry rate) it doesn't take long to gobble up $4000 in labor cost alone...

Last edited:

Honestly you don't know what design aspects the original builder was required to adhere to, but given the theme of the show you can bet there was a list.

Actually the builder of the props is also the designer of the props (as seen on the DVD extas)
This isnt surprising since this is a lower budget tv show.
So he basically had to adhere to his own design elements and list.

Taking this into consideration I highly doubt that his list consisted of a specific model for the fly box (any number of tin boxes would have sufficed) or a specific model of knobs, measurements etc.

The case is not the same for someone trying to recreate an accurate replica....they actually need to look at screencaps, scale the size of the parts, identify and hunt down these parts.

Do you honestly believe they whipped up the Farnsworth communicator in less then one weeks time, from nothing to a finished product approved and to the studio for filming?

Let's just put it this way....I've created several concept designs, then went right to creating the finished prop within one week... And that's just by myself.

So yes, not only do I believe this is possible, but more than enough time to create a prop.

Last edited:

Let's just put it this way....I've created several concept designs, then went right to creating the finished prop within one week... And that's just by myself.

Number of people doesn't matter cost is based on labor hours... How many hours do you think the original prop guy he has into the project start to finish? All inclusive? Do you think it's under 40 hours? Under 20 hours? What is his hourly rate? What were the cost of the parts that he used (how much did he spend getting the faceplate made?) or sourced to make the prop? $4000 disappears real quick outside in the real professional world...

Last edited:

The producer should hire you, Jmtwo, since you not only made a screen accurate Farnsworth, but for a lot less than the ones the prop department makes for the show.

Just to clarify. I haven't done squat as far as researching or building a Farnsworth. I simply restarted a killed thread. All the kudos go to the many others on here that have done all this great work.

BTW, I have done similar work outside the movie industry, and while $4000 each may be on the high side, it is within reason. Heck, depending on who had final approval of the design, the propmaster may have taken the time to draw up dozens ideas before producing an actual piece.

-GG (formerly Jmtwo)

Last edited:

Number of people doesn't matter cost is based on labor hours... How many hours do you think the original prop guy he has into the project start to finish? All inclusive? Do you think it's under 40 hours? Under 20 hours? What is his hourly rate? What were the cost of the parts that he used (how much did he spend getting the faceplate made?) or sourced to make the prop? $4000 disappears real quick outside in the real professional world...

I think there's some confusion here.
Im not disputing the costs....I agree with you about that.
Im talking about the ease of replicating an existing piece in contrast to building the original.

I think there's some confusion here.
Im not disputing the costs....I agree with you about that.
Im talking about the ease of replicating an existing piece in contrast to building the original.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. $4,000 for developing and creating the original, I can understand, but $4,000 for the doubles from the original... That's just insane.

Nice find - about 2 days late for me, got several knobs from Allied but I wasn't able to find these when I searched, doh.

Absolutely! The Bajoran rifle from DS9 was a drawing on Friday morning, a finished wood prototype and in a mold that evening with castings made the next day... By Monday at 6:00am, (18) of them were on their way to the set fully finished.

~Ron

Sorry to hijack the thread

Honestly you don't know what design aspects the original builder was required to adhere to, but given the theme of the show you can bet there was a list...

If you are totally winging the design on your own and not following outlined concept and input from the customer, revisions, and total 180° design changes per customer request, yeah it's easy... But when your are dealing with client request and specifics it that will require the same hunting down of certain parts that fit the design aspects... You might have some fudge room but not it all cases, and you might very well go through several revisions before one is accepted by the client, all this takes time and drives up cost...

Do you honestly believe they whipped up the Farnsworth communicator in less then one weeks time, from nothing to a finished product approved and handed to the studio for filming? As I said @ $100 an hour (probably on the low side of the industry rate) it doesn't take long to gobble up $4000 in labor cost alone...

Last edited:

Why are you guys still debating switches? Go to ebay, buy a BK tester for $30 shipped and get 2 of the correct switchcraft switches. I'd rather pay $15 for the right switch then pay $7 for the worng one.

What's the proper model BK Tester for the switches?

Guys, I'm just getting going on mine (have the faceplate and big lens). If you get a gold flybox, what color are you painting it or how are you aging it? Looks kind of brownish in the stills. Thanks.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back