Farnsworth Discussion

Re: Warehouse 13 Props Research Thread - Farnsworth

i think they may all ahve the same paint pattern, but its only really visible clearly with the flash.

i think they may all ahve the same paint pattern, but its only really visible clearly with the flash.

Maybe so; but I wouldn't want to make it look like that without the flash, if you see what I mean.

right, i agree. The two colors id use would probably be virtually the same.

Rather than etch I was thinking of taking the brass plate to an Award shop and seeing if they can engrave (scribe) it in. Of course this doesn't help with the cut out portions but it would resolve part of the problem. The more I look at the dial numbers they look like they are steel stamped to me. I've got sets I can play with.

The small speaker grill is the only thing that could be a pain cutting out, especially the very ends

Did some research. As Brass is a highly reflective material only 1 company (GEMVIS) can cut it accurately and they developed the process. My guess is that the studio etched, abrasive waterjet, or wire EDM'd the plates (or they are not brass but something else cut than plated)

A proof-of-concept, mostly to figure out paint colours & technique.

fwpoc.jpg

A proof-of-concept, mostly to figure out paint colours & technique.

fwpoc.jpg

Oh very nice so far! I'm assuming the panel in the right half is still a print out? What did you use for the cover for the brown coloring? It looks pretty good, just needs that texturing a little I think.

Oh very nice so far! I'm assuming the panel in the right half is still a print out? What did you use for the cover for the brown coloring? It looks pretty good, just needs that texturing a little I think.

The paint is brown and dark brown, mixed. The camera tends to make any weathering vanish. The right side is printed on plastic; an experiment. The lens and all the bits & pieces are real. I like it a lot in this case, and will likely go on to use the same technique in the final build.

I've been looking at packaging over products to see if I can find something with the right shape, the other alternative would be to vac form them, my first thought actually.

Even a press mold would work.

To make an R2 eye a friend of mine used a dome shape and a plate with an opening the size of the dome and just heated a piece of plastic, laid it over the dome and than pressed the plate around it till it cooled.

Looks good Deck 5.:thumbsup

D6

More fun --

flashpoc.jpg
pocflash.jpg

Here you can see the beveled edge of the thing I'm using for the screen. I'll have that fully recessed in the final build. (Ignore the red hue on the edge of the cover -- it's reflecting something orange off-camera.)

Very nice!

I was thinking of painting the box today, but im still waiting for the port jacks to come in so I can drill the holes in the side of the box before painting it.
Im not good at drilling holes after painting...Might scratch it.

Last edited:

Very nice!

I was thinking of painting the box today, but im still waiting for the port jacks to come in so I can drill the holes in the side of the box before painting it.
Im not good at drilling holes after painting...Might scratch it.

That's called 'authentic weathering' :)

Just read all 26 pages. That center knob with the numbers? That looks very very much like a vintage HAM radio or CB knob. Possibly a Collins. Fender used the exact font and dimensions for their skirted knobs on the "blackface" amplifiers...but they only go to ten. i know I've seen that exact knob before on an old CB radio my dad owned, but my Google-fu is weak sauce tonight.
I'm positive the skirt and numbers are part of the knob and not etched into the faceplate.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back