Fans

Darth Domain

I had a previous thread where i mentioned how damn hot it gets in the vader bucket and i think it was Darth Kant who mentioned about installing a CPU fan in the chin area. I've been looking at these fans on the net and there are a wide range of them. Now, i am in no way electronically minded but i assume these fans are for computers. If so, the cables attached to them are for connecting to a computer. So, my question is: how i do rig it so i can use a battery in the lid. Do i need a special connecter etc
Thanks

Just go to Radio Shack and buy the small computer fans they sell there. They can just be hooked up to a push button (on/off switch) and a 9 volt battery.

Scratch that... just saw you're in the UK so I doubt you have Radio Shacks there... there must be some small electronics store chain there you could shop at.

What Bob said.

Also my first fan had the special computer plug on it, so if that is all you can find it will work. All you do is cut the wires at the special plug then cut the extra wires off all together, all you will need is the red and black, from there its just twisting wires together. Real simple, just intimidating at first.

Originally posted by TK-Fett@Dec 16 2005, 02:17 PM
What Bob said.

Also my first fan had the special computer plug on it, so if that is all you can find it will work. All you do is cut the wires at the special plug then cut the extra wires off all together, all you will need is the red and black, from there its just twisting wires together. Real simple, just intimidating at first.
[snapback]1137225[/snapback]​
Thanks guys, when you say twisting wires, how do i then connect them to a battery, is there some special connecter or something (forgive me my ignorance)

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Dec 16 2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys, when you say twisting wires, how do i then connect them to a battery, is there some special connecter or something (forgive me my ignorance)

They sell 9 volt connectors that have the two wires already attached to it. Its real easy to hook up.

Originally posted by WebChief+Dec 16 2005, 01:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WebChief @ Dec 16 2005, 01:56 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Dec 16 2005, 12:59 PM

They sell 9 volt connectors that have the two wires already attached to it. Its real easy to hook up.
[snapback]1137428[/snapback]​
[/b]

you can even be a total loser like me and not use a switch ;)

most computer fans have 3 wires. red, yellow and black. [*] i forget what the yellow is (speed maybe?) but it can be ignored.

get a 9 volt battery lead and a fan. cut the computer power connector off of the fan, leaving as much wire on the fan as you can. strip the ends of the wire. twist them onto the batter lead (red to red, black to black). attach a battery and your fan comes on. take the battery out, fan goes off.

while i technically have the ability to solder the connectors, use heat shrink insulation and all the other fancy things to make it look nice, i'm usually too lazy and just hard wire everything and duct tape the batter to something ;)

[*] there are variations on that theme. i've seen blue and green wires too, as well as ones that just have black and red. either way, 9V won't hurt anyone, so if in doubt just go for trial and error til you get the fan to spin.

Originally posted by tk7602+Dec 16 2005, 07:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tk7602 @ Dec 16 2005, 07:06 PM)</div>
Originally posted by WebChief@Dec 16 2005, 01:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Dec 16 2005, 12:59 PM

[snapback]1137428[/snapback]​

you can even be a total loser like me and not use a switch ;)

most computer fans have 3 wires. red, yellow and black. [*] i forget what the yellow is (speed maybe?) but it can be ignored.

get a 9 volt battery lead and a fan. cut the computer power connector off of the fan, leaving as much wire on the fan as you can. strip the ends of the wire. twist them onto the batter lead (red to red, black to black). attach a battery and your fan comes on. take the battery out, fan goes off.

while i technically have the ability to solder the connectors, use heat shrink insulation and all the other fancy things to make it look nice, i'm usually too lazy and just hard wire everything and duct tape the batter to something ;)

[*] there are variations on that theme. i've seen blue and green wires too, as well as ones that just have black and red. either way, 9V won't hurt anyone, so if in doubt just go for trial and error til you get the fan to spin.
[snapback]1137438[/snapback]​
[/b]
Thanks folks

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Dec 17 2005, 04:28 AM
Sorry that I havent had the time to post a tutorial on how to install it Domain. I will try to do it sometime before xmas.
[snapback]1137799[/snapback]​
thanks

Originally posted by Darth Domain+Dec 17 2005, 03:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Domain @ Dec 17 2005, 03:15 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DarthKahnt
@Dec 17 2005, 04:28 AM
Sorry that I havent had the time to post a tutorial on how to install it Domain. I will try to do it sometime before xmas.
[snapback]1137799[/snapback]​
thanks
[snapback]1137997[/snapback]​
[/b]
i bought my fans for my stormtrooper helmet at triktoys . just do a search on that , the guys name is eric i have 3 fans in my helmet. hope it helps ya. rod

PC Fan sounds the way to go.

Or you could try...
fan.jpg

It might come in black :thumbsup

Originally posted by Emeldahay@Dec 18 2005, 04:16 PM

Or you could try...
fan.jpg

[snapback]1138598[/snapback]​
WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE FANS ? THE WHITE ONE WILL LOOK GREAT WITH MY STORMTROOPER ARMOR LOL. ROD

Originally posted by Emeldahay@Dec 18 2005, 04:16 PM

Or you could try...
fan.jpg

[snapback]1138598[/snapback]​
:lol it would need to be in black to go with my loveley gloves

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back