Fallout 4

my settlement building is broken on XB1 because Snap N Build got removed. I can't build any structures anymore, and all the "capsule" style dwellings have disappeared, leaving me with loads of floating assets and settlers in all my settlements.

I just managed to break my game too. The biggest problem with Xbox is that whenever you scrap something via a mod, it doesn't actually get scrapped, it just gets marked as invisible. This makes your saves massive and I completely ran out of space on the drive, even with only one save. So far, I haven't figured out a solution, either to give myself more than the 2GB save limit, or to really delete objects without having a ridiculous save size. So I tried turning off the mod and that didn't work, then I tried deleting it and that got rid of all of my mods. I replaced them, at least the ones that I cared about, but now everything I built with a mod, whether it's replaced or not, simply doesn't work. I can either try to rebuild most of my settlements or I can start the whole game over and just not scrap things. It's really disappointing.

I forgot about another good one. Since the game came out I kept thinking that it was stupid that toilets and sinks didn't raise the happiness level of your settlers. I know I'd be much happier with running water and showers. Well someone made a mod for this: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14326/? If you use them yourself you get buffs like if you use the toilet, you get a speed buff that slowly wears out. I guess because you're lighter. :lol I haven't checked the one settlement I put them in, but apparently it will clean your settlers up and they will slowly get dirty faces again.

So, does anyone have more info on F4 VR ? Wasn't able to catch the live stream after all, and all I can find online is the trailer and the October release date. What about the means of transportation ? They said they were working on options, what are they ? What do they look like ? Will there be mods ? If I have to buy a 900$ VR headset, I'd like to know more ! That trailer was nice, but it showed very very little. And I was hoping you would see your arms and hands in-game, floating pip-boy and weapon is a bit weird but that's a nitpick.
And what about a demo ? Any chance they'll show demos during E3 ?

In the mean time I started a new game of my PC, after installing close to a hundred mods. Stable so far, but I do have FPS drops in cities. Already turned down the shadow distance setting to medium, should I turn down shadow quality as well ? Everything is on Ultra, 1440p, capped at 60 FPS and runs smoothly in most open areas that are not cities, and inside. Corvega gave me a big hit, down to 30 FPS and even lower sometimes.

Last edited:
Well, trackpad locomotion is confirmed and looking good, so thats one less thing to worry about. The trailer looked great, i do really hope they include the hands or maybe even the full player body so that we can see the clother/armor that we equip, and the guns in the trailer did not seem to use a second attach point. So the player holds big guns in one hand only, they have to change that! Anybody that plays games like onward/pavlov know how great rifle interaction can be with both hands.

It's a long time till October so it might get added, but knowing how these big compenies shy away from taking the most basic risks, i'm not holding my breath on getting the interaction we have become accustomed to in indie titles.

But thats why we have mods!!!!! Very excited however, ahh man i'm gonna look like a professional scuba diver when this comes out, with the Vive headset outline imprinted on my face for months:D

Now I can see my spouse and child die in real time! Thanks Bethesda!

Last edited by a moderator:

It's... VR I guess? If this is going for immersion, having a magical floating Pipboy is certainly not how I would go about it. In fact, a lot of things seen in this trailer don't even look all that good. The graphics look a bit more muddled, the handling of the gatling laser is out of this world, and the building portion of the game looks like it's going to take a major nose dive. Aww, well. What else you got Beth?

Oh, shoot. Paid mods are back comrades, and nothing will be the same. But look! It's the Fallout 3 Gauss Rifle! They must have put a lot of work into that baby! Until you realize it's just swapping the minutemen hand-cranking laser rifle with a different model.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not exactly paid mods, more like mini-dlcs developed by external, professional modders in tandem with Bethesda. If you read the FAQ, every project on the creation club has to be pitched by a developer with a resume, accepted by Bethesda and then developed professionally, from pre-production to release, with quality checks and all, and has to be original contents only. So yeah, there's gonna be skins for sure, but it also open the door to big story mods as well, where modders will actually be paid to do, meaning shorter developing time and less likely that members of big teams behind these drop out.
Anyway, Nexus ain't going anywhere, so we can sleep soundly.

I see that the price of F4 VR is the same as a full new game, that's a bit disappointing. I bought the game 4 times already, twice on PS4 (because I thought my pip-boy edition would never arrive), once on Xbox and now once on PC. Buying it once more ain't gonna stop me, but still, a discount for owning the game on PC like Skyrim SE would have been nice. Apparently they said it will be on demo during E3, so I guess we'll have more info during the week...

Is it too much to ask why we can't just play the game in 3D with the VR headset instead of making the whole thing a motion control fiesta? Like you still use your mouse and keyboard for controls, but you play the game in 3D with the headset. I wouldn't mind playing it like that. This VR thing doesn't look good at all.

As for Doom VFR? You have to teleport to move. That is not a good thing.

Well they did just announce Skyrim VR as a timed PSVR ecxlusive, and Vive/Rift later so thats good news. I did not care for Skyrim myself even though i've always been a big Elder Scrolls fan but a lot of people seem to love it.

I wounder though, in the last couple of days i've seen people all over the internet say things like "Ohh this VR thing is just a fad" or "It will die out like 3D tv"

Have you guys even ever played in a Vive/Rift?

The only 2d game i've played in the past 12 months was Dishonored 2, and besides that nothing but VR games.
Stalking my enemies in Onward and giving hand signals to my teammates or commanding a starship in Star Trek Bridge Crew, i never thought i'd be able to do that in my lifetime. I'm sold man, it's magic to me.

Is it too much to ask why we can't just play the game in 3D with the VR headset instead of making the whole thing a motion control fiesta? Like you still use your mouse and keyboard for controls, but you play the game in 3D with the headset. I wouldn't mind playing it like that. This VR thing doesn't look good at all............

Yeah, that's what's putting me off, too. Just looks wonky. The guns hovering and all that, just doesn't look appealing.

I myself am not to critical of the whole 'it's a fad' thing, it just doesn't look like my cup of tea. I know what you mean about the controls, too. I play it on PC but I use a Xbox 360 controller, and after so many years of playing that way, it becomes second nature. If I could use the VR headset and still use my controller, that would be great. But, like you said.....

I'll just sit this one out. Lemme know when it's more like a HoloSuite in Star Trek, then I'll be interested.

Yes.
Bethesda doesn't call them mods though, but "creative content". But it's easier to just write mod.
They are paid mods, in the sense that an official DLC is a paid mod. Steam mods fiasco = everyone can sell every mods, Creation Studio = professional developer (from Bethesda or outside, freelance or studio), paid and supervised by Bethesda, to create original content that behaves like a DLC i.e. : no achievement penalty, lore-friendly, etc...

Looking at the footage comming from the early demos for FalloutVR it seems to me that my fears will be realized. Bethesda seem to be doing a **** poor job of making this game work for VR the way i would expect form a indie developer, let alone a company like Besthesda.

No two handed weapons.
No manual reloading.
No player hands.

To me this again shows that most big companies are leagues behind indie developers when it comes to inovation and taking risks.

Such a shame, i guess the modders will have to add all the things people have come to expect.

=

I wounder though, in the last couple of days i've seen people all over the internet say things like "Ohh this VR thing is just a fad" or "It will die out like 3D tv"

Have you guys even ever played in a Vive/Rift?

I've tried them in the store and if I had an extra $600 or whatever I'd put it towards a top of the line graphics card over that. There's not enough there to make it any better than the regular game. From the F4 VR footage, it looks like worse than the real game because you don't even have arms or legs in front of you.

Yes.
Bethesda doesn't call them mods though, but "creative content". But it's easier to just write mod.
They are paid mods, in the sense that an official DLC is a paid mod. Steam mods fiasco = everyone can sell every mods, Creation Studio = professional developer (from Bethesda or outside, freelance or studio), paid and supervised by Bethesda, to create original content that behaves like a DLC i.e. : no achievement penalty, lore-friendly, etc...

But is Bethesda that large of a studio that can handle this kind of content load? I find it hard to believe that Bethesda would have enough man-power to oversee even some of the most talented mod authors that actually want to be included in this 'Creation Studio'. The fact that no previously released mod content would be allowed already sounds like a major red flag for no other reason than, well, what can be done with mods has been done already. I mean, look at the trailer! They're showing off a Chinese Stealth Suit mod that was created back in February!

Chinese Stealth Suit by DogtoothCG Unoctium

Well, like I said, it's gonna have some "horse armor" content at first, you won't see a nuka world size content right away... As for the Chinese Stealth Suit, yeah, that breach their policy although, maybe since this is actually a Bethesda owned and made asset, bethesda ported it themselves to populate the store for the video simply, along with stuff from F3 and NV. I'm guessing the rule of original content is going to be applied to external devs, starting when the store opens.

Looking at the lack of hands on the VR demos bother me a bit indeed, I hope it's 5 months away because they're still working on some mechanisms such as the reload etc... Or else at least open up the mods. Can't believe no-one asked it to the booth yet ? Or at least I can't see any article yet with more info than simply what it was like playing it.

Having worked in the games industry myself i can tell you that if features like hands or reloading are not in the FalloutVR build yet, then it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Only 5 months till release all the content is basically locked in, i guess it ill be up to the modders then.

Well, I was bored at work, started window shopping online, and one thing after another, I bought a Vive. So here is hoping F4 VR really is worth it, and future Bethesda IPs will offer VR as well. Even better, if they get the ball rolling for other AAA games.
I find it weird however how I can only find a couple of videos of the demo, and barely any info, I thought everyone would try to cover this, but apprently not.

My concerns with this VR stuff is how do they adjust for individual differences like distance between pupils and are these developers doing fields of view and distance correctly. If they get that stuff wrong you could get motion sickness and severe headaches after using that for a while. On weekends I might play a game for several hours straight.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back