Fallout 3 Operation Anchorage Crimson Dragoon

Darktriumph

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started my first project before I found and joined this site. I guess I am about 30-40% complete so far and am trying to finish before September 18th, 2015(Columbus Wizard World) without sacrificing quality. This is my first ever costume/my first ever forum so go easy but by all means if you have ideas criticism let me know!
40217-1-1297293286.jpgFallout3-ChineseStealthArmor.jpgFalloutchar.jpg

Last edited:
I have a lot of other reference pics but they are .png on my phone and the forum doesn't like the format so I'll upload those once I get home. Any way, I decided to start with the head gear. I wanted to vacuum form it due to the huge visor. So my first step was to build a vacuum forming machine. What I learned: drilling 1600+ holes by hand sucks. The frame that holds the plastic us every bit as important as the vacuum box. The heating method is paramount to the whole operation. What that really means is that my machine is a work in progress! I was concerned my shop vac was under powered so I bought a 6.5 HP unit...the suction shattered my first clay buck (to be fair it was far too fragile). My kitchen oven was far too small to accommodate the 24" square PETG I wanted to be able to form. This was for the best I didn't like the idea of heating plastics where my wife cooks our food. So I won a 1500W infrared heater on EBay ($69!) Which I will build a dedicated vacuum forming heater.
IMG_20150718_123427229.jpg IMG_20150727_190351894.jpg

Last edited:
Next I used abbydarkstar's duct tape body form method and let my wife and mother-in-law tape my whole head and face up while I was breathing through the body of a disassembled pen (now that's a trust exercise). Once they cut me out of that closterphobic mess, I taped up the seams and filled with expanding foam (I wasn't thrilled with the results from the foam and will do it differently next time...but it was good enough for now). With the head form finished the next step was to sculpt clay (I used crayola air dry...it is so so but super slow to dry).
IMG_20150722_233146515_TOP.jpg IMG_20150722_233318124.jpg

Last edited:
As I said earlier that first buck shattered because it was hollow so I had to sculpt another (at least the second one went twice as fast!) Once I finished the second version I filled the inside with even more clay (hugely inefficient, I know, but I had the clay and I didn't have silicone and plaster for a proper casting.) Then it was off to the vacuum former. This step was met with failure after failure as I learned how to do this process. Bottom line is the right tool for the job saves a lot of frustration. I managed to pull one mold that was passable but I'm going for as good as I can do. I know I can do better so the mask is on hold while I build a proper heater and frame (and ups delivers me more plastic).
IMG_20150727_185517247.jpg IMG_20150727_194818093.jpg

Last edited:
In the mean time I have been doing the foam work (huge thanks are due to the evilted YouTube channel for basically teaching me everything I now know about foam, if you haven't already check him out.) Stand by for those pictures I don't have them on my phone (but here is one of my work bench and assistant)
IMG_20150801_175221807_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
As promised the Foam work:
front.jpg angle.jpg back.jpg
Ignore the duct tape, this is the first "test" fit. That will be replaced by nylon web belt. That EVM belt buckle will be replaced with a functional buckle cast out of alum alloy. I also have the thigh pieces and arm bracers (gauntlets) done too.

Looking for a little help if anyone is willing (I can pay if need be). I started the helmet's metal components in foam and am not digging the look of it. I'd rather use pepakura/resin. After downloading a 3D modeling program I realize there is no chance I can figure this out and finish the project in the month I have left. Is anyone out there willing and able to generate the 3D model for me?

Looking for a little help if anyone is willing (I can pay if need be). I started the helmet's metal components in foam and am not digging the look of it. I'd rather use pepakura/resin. After downloading a 3D modeling program I realize there is no chance I can figure this out and finish the project in the month I have left. Is anyone out there willing and able to generate the 3D model for me?

Sending you a PM..........

It's been a while since I've updated. I've been working on the visor, trial and error and some help from thorssoli I've got the dye and mirror worked out. I didn't like the center line so its resculpt. My wife has been airbrushing the hex pattern onto the bodysuit, the bad area was the test, thankfully that's covered by the breastplate.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back