Fallout 3: Mini-Nuke (Finished on page 7)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by NormanF, Dec 31, 2011.

1. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For my first prop I thought I would do something relatively simple: the mini-nuke from Fallout 3. Too bad it's not as simple as I thought it would be. Also, this keeps getting stuck in my head.

I am doing this in such a way that I can make at least two copies: one for me and one for my brother. If there is enough interest I will probably do a run and sell some in the Junkyard. The plan is to use floral foam as the core. Over this will go a layer of fiberglass resin so I don't put my fingers through it during the later steps. Even with the resin I put some holes in it. On top of that would go a layer or two of body filler, then primer and paint. Then I will use brush on rubber and plasti-paste to make a mold.

After doing some comparisons with screen shots, a pepakura model, and the butt stock from my CETME rifle (pretty close to the assault rifle in the game) I came up with a plan for the body. I also figured that the Nuka Cola bottle must be about 1 liter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next step was to make the core of the body. My first (hint) attempt was with foam core and floral foam. Unfortunately, I did not center the two foam core parts together so after shaping the foam it was lopsided. Then there is the whole thing about fiberglass resin attacking the EPS in the foam core.

The picture of the foam core below is upside down. The cutout was originally where I planned to pour in the casting resin and then insert some sort of primer that I never knew about until I was taking screenshots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I went and made some more forms, this time out of thin cardboard like you find on the back of notepads and then went through the process of shaping again. I changed the design so there will be just a shallow cutout on the bottom for the primer and a larger cutout on the top for pouring the resin and then inserting the nosecone. This way if I get really ambitious I can put some sort of sound system in it to play the explosion sound if you press on the nose cone. After I got a rough shape I decided it would be easier with a lathe so I forced myself to go to Harbor Freight and pick one up. Much better results!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did something similar for the nose cone. This is it with one layer of filler.
    [​IMG]

Here is the body with a layer of filler on it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, here I need a suggestion. If you look you can see there are some shallow holes on the main body. At first I was just going to fill them in and sand them flush. But then I thought, "Hmm, that looks like some pretty good aging right there. Maybe I should leave it and continue on with the rest of it." So, what does everyone think: Should I leave the holes or should I make this perfect and then use my non-existent paint skills to age resin copies?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Volpin

Volpin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Fallout 3: Mini-Nuke WIP

I think its always more convincing to make a piece "perfect" then age it after its been built correctly. When I weather a piece, I try to consider how it would have aged naturally. Right now you may have some interesting marks but they might not be in proper locations.

Rust will show up more often around screw holes and seam lines, where the paint and primer on actual metal would have scratched away. Dents and dings wouldn't be present around the backside of the casing, as the fin assembly would keep this from happening like a protective cage.

These are just a few examples, but I think you'll be better off with more purposeful weathering instead of going with whats on there now.

3. NormanF

Ok, the master has spoken. I was leaning that way myself but better to get advice from someone with experience to be sure.

4. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Nice work here. I'll be following this.

5. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

It looks excellent so far, too bad you already have a good start on it I've had this for a while. I actually have all the Fallout 3 Weapon 3D Models.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Great idea ! good luck on the build !

7. NormanF

It is a REAL PITA to sand a foam and bondo (I didn't use Bondo) football smooth and round. I started doing some painting while some last minute filler cures on the body.

Nose cone with first coat of primer:
    [​IMG]

Not sure why it looks brownish, maybe the light bouncing off the cardboard.

Second coat of primer:
    [​IMG]

At this point it was night so the only light was from the fluorescent in my garage so shadows stood out more and I noticed some high and low spots. Not bad, but noticeable in the right light. I still haven't decide whether to leave it or deal with them.

From the top:
    [​IMG]

A few weeks ago I started work on the fin ring. Ideally, I would just use several inches of 5 inch schedule 10 pvc pipe. Nobody around here has it. So I used a large tube of oatmeal instead.
    [​IMG]

I do not show it in that picture, but I then put a layer of card stock on both sides to bulk it out some and to hopefully give it a bit more strength so it doesn't flop around while I work on it. I then put a layer of resin on and now I have some gnarly looking filler on it.

I also made a fin out of Super Sculpey. Unfortunately, I took the measurements from a pepakura model which do not totally agree with my later measurements/estimates from screenshots. That includes needing to cut a big chunk of that top off. Other than that it just needs some sanding and maybe some filler to take care of any holes. There are also two small bubbles that need to be dealt with. This is from before I cooked it:
    [​IMG]

8. NormanF

No real updates, there was a death in the family at the beginning of January and then it got cold. Once you lose momentum it's hard to get back up to speed. I did mark some low spots on the main body that need to be raised, but that's been it. I plan to get back to work on things this weekend. Raise the low spots and fix some issues with the nose cone.

And then I see someone beat me to it. Nice to see they agree on the size, but I think theirs might be a bit bigger. I notice they really beefed up the range and yield too.

9. NormanF

Not much of an updated, but I did mark out some low spots I need to fix on the main body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nose section needs some filling too, which sucks because I already primed it. Oh well, no reason to half-*ss it.

10. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Hey, looks darn smooth to me. Sorry to hear about your loss.

11. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Sorry to hear about the death. Yeah getting the momentum back is a massive pain. Looks good so far, this is like the ultimate item on my fallout list. Even though I'm mostly doing F1 and 2 you can't pass up something this cool.

12. JamesM

JamesM New Member

Fantastic! The singer's outfit in that video wouldn't look out of place in the Fallout world, btw...

13. Dainbramage546

Dainbramage546 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks awesome so far!

It's going to look beastly sitting on a shelf or a coffee table.
    That'd make a good conversation starter :D "Is that a nuke...?"

14. NormanF

Almost as good as when I go into work:
    Co-worker - "Hey,Norman, do anything over the weekend?"
    Me - "Naw, just some work on my bomb."

15. NormanF

So, like a reboot of Batman, I put the gloves and [respirator] mask back on and got back to work.. It is upside down in these pictures. At some point I will need to cut a shallow circle into it so I can inlay what I keep calling the "firing pin" detail.
    [​IMG]

Low spots be gone!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess right now it looks more like an egg from Alien. I'll take some sand paper to it tomorrow. And I realized I left off the seam detail where the two parts of the body are attached together. I might try doing it with Apoxie sculpt instead of body filler.

16. NormanF

So about two weeks ago I started sanding down the filler I used to build up the low spots. At this point I find out I did not use enough hardener. After I got the rough spots knocked down I started hitting soft spots. A coworker who turned me onto this website suggested I heat it up to get it to cure. I broke out the heat gun and had at it. Not only did it not cause the filler to cure, it caused some of the foam and resin under the filler to melt. Now it has a soft spot. At this point I decided I could either scrape off all the uncured filler and patch the hole or I could make a new core and fix some other things I had missed. So now I am on to core #3. One of the things I have "improved" is to use a 1x1 inch core of balsa wood so I can keep putting this thing back in a lathe. Without it the foam crushes a little more every time I put it in and sometimes it does other damage to the foam making it near impossible to re-center. I also switched to a spray adhesive to put it together and it is working wonders. Assuming it hasn't fallen apart when I get home. I should be able to do some lathe work on it today after work.

Pictures at 11:00.

17. NormanF

Pictures as threatened.
    Attaching the first block of foam to the balsa core.

[​IMG]

Attaching the second block

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attaching the last block. I did not line this one up very well, but everything seems to be holding together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After take it for a spin

[​IMG]

The next step is to make a template so I can get it down to the correct football shape. It would be easier with wood because I can't get anywhere near it with calipers to measure it without gouging the foam.

18. NormanF

Ok, I finished taking the new core for a spin in the lathe. The groove is so I can put slightly thicker body filler or maybe apoxy sculpt to support some details. If you look at a large picture like this then you can see there is a seam about 1/3 of the way down where the two parts of the nuke go together. Just below that are some screws. Right now I am thinking of using largish, slightly recessed screws so it looks more like real military hardware, but I might stick with smaller countersunk screws so it is more screen accurate. You can also see the template I was using to get the foam to the right shape.

[​IMG]

The line down the middle is the glue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday or Sunday I'll slap a coat of resin on it so I don't damage the foam from just handling it. It's not the ultra soft foam, but it's not EPS either.

19. NormanF

Now with a crunchy shell. But not a chocolate one.

[​IMG]

20. darkchylde80

darkchylde80 Well-Known Member

Great work, can't wait to see it finished.

21. NormanF

WWI and Star Wars have taught me one thing: trenches are bad. So I filled mine in as planned.

Layer 1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Layer 2:
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll make a template to measure the outer coats of body filler and maybe put a first coat on it.

22. EamonClark

EamonClark New Member

An interesting project. I hope you can make a great version. I can't think of anything you haven't tried but you did think of a few things I hadn't.

23. NormanF

Ok, so I'm back to having something that looks like an egg from Alien. You can see that the filler started to set up while I was still applying it. This is actually upside down, so you are looking where the "firing pin" will go. Tomorrow I'll put a little bit more on each end and then start checking to see if I need to put any more on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. NormanF

Almost done with the body filler. Which is good because I'm almost done with the can.

Top:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom:
    [​IMG]

I might try to put a layer on the equator before work tomorrow. Then it sand, sand, sand and clean up the openings on each end.

25. pwrofbauer

pwrofbauer Active Member

Great photos and this is going to be awesome!

26. NormanF

Wrote a long update and closed the window after previewing instead of clicking submit. So no witty comments this time. :angry

Applied a skim coat and put it on a bit heavy near the ends to bulk them out some.

Two of the top:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two of the bottom:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next steps: Smooth everything and finish the openings on the ends.

27. Nero

Nero New Member

looking forward to seeing this finished, theres a good few fallout 3 props out there now, and many are awesome, but its the more random stuff like this that really iinterests me

28. NormanF

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished too. I picked it because I thought it would be easy (HAHAHAHAHA!) and nobody else had done it that I could find. If I ever finish this I will do something easier, like the Stealth Boy.

So, I got it rough sanded. You can only see a few, but there were some holes that had to be filled. I filled them, but didn't take any pictures. So here it is pre-patch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll hopefully finish the rough sanding and start in on the final sanding. And I still need to put holes in the ends for later.

29. cod289722

cod289722 New Member

This is aewsome!! Truly inspirational. Was thinking of doing something similar.

30. NormanF

I got it pretty darn smooth. The thin horizontal line is a seam I added using a scribe while it was on the lathe. I went a little too deep but I think it will be ok. The darker line is the line the fake screws that are supposed to look like they hold it together will go. The vertical lines are where each of the screws will go. But looking at that and comparing it with a reference image makes me think I need more screws. The bottom needed a lot of filler so I wrapped a piece of balsa in some paper that filler does not stick well to. That is the white thing sticking out the bottom. I have filled the holes and dealt with the bottom, but the battery in my phone was too low to take pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This morning I was thinking how I was going to make a mold of this thing without having some weird three or four part mold. If you look at the first few pictures you can see I was planning on making a half inch or so deep opening in the top that the fuse would go in. I changed my mind and I will be making it extremely shallow, maybe a 1/16 of an inch. This will allow me to use a two part mold. It will also make it easier to build a master for and make a mold of the fuse.

31. NormanF

Ok, I filled in the low spots, added some filler that was missing from the bottom, and cleaned everything up and drew some new lines. I decided to go with eight screws around the perimeter to "hold" the two parts together.

Here is the bottom. There are some cracks between the filler I added and what was already there. At this point I'm burned out with mixing filler and having to sand it down again. I'm tempted to use vinyl putty usually used for fixing drywall or just seeing if the primer I am using will fill them. I kind of hope that when I cut a 1.5 inch hole it will also cut out the cracks (which means it won't).
    [​IMG]

Here is the top. The circle on top is where I am going to make an inset about 1/16 of an inch deep. Not sure yet how I'm going to pull that off. I don't know if I do it with a dremel or if I have to use something else. The lines are what I used to do the placement of the screws at 45 degree increments.
    [​IMG]

Side view. Here you can see the groove again along with some of the future screw locations.
    [​IMG]

So next steps are
    1. Cut a hole in the bottom, cut the depression into the top,
    2. Drill holes for the screws and add them.
    3. Cut the depression into the top.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  32. pwrofbauer

pwrofbauer Active Member

Looking very smooth! Glad to see an update.

33. NormanF

I'm not using Bondo, I'm using Evercoat Rage. I read that body work guys love the stuff so I didn't even try Bondo. It's ridiculous how smooth that is. It actually shines in bright light. The downside is that a quart can costs about what a gallon of Bondo costs. I took this to work before I filled in the low spots and a guy who uses Bondo said it seemed to be worth the price difference because he has never gotten Bondo that smooth.

34. Janderson0719

Janderson0719 New Member

Sorry if you mentioned in the thread, but you plan on making the gun too?

35. NormanF

I've thought about it, but that's about it. I'm just starting out with prop making and I think small things like this will be easy to display. I don't know what I would do with something as large as a Fat Man. Maybe ebay it, I don't know.

36. NormanF

:unsure Looks like the filler I added onto the bottom to fill some gaps did not bond completely. So I'm going to have to redo that part. I think I did not scuff the previous coat enough because part of it bonded and part of it did not.

I glued together some foam to start forming the nose cone. That will be easy to form and then resin, assuming the blocks are big enough. The bad thing is I have to print out another copy of the blueprints to cut out a template and for some reason my dog absolutely hates my laser printer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuesday: Form and resin cone. Fix the filler issue on the main body.
    Wednesday: Start covering cone with filler.

37. NormanF

I took out some sections of filler in the bottom that did not bond very well. Roughed up the edges, put more filler on, sanded it smooth and it's good to go. The first photo may not look pretty, but that is going to be filled with a detail piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to drill a 1.5 inch hole in the bottom and make the firing pin detail that goes into it, drill the holes for the screws and get them in place, and finally cut a shallow insert into the top. Then I can concentrate on all the other parts that attach to this.

38. NormanF

A minor update is still an update. I kept wondering, "How am I going to create that inset section on the top?" I didn't want to have to buy stuff to make some sort of jib to use a router in, especially since I don't own a router. I was thinking I was going to have to use a dremel with a sanding drum when I thought of trying out a chisel to see what that would do. Much to my surprise it worked great on the filler. So I roughed out the opening and then did some contortions to get it sanded on the lathe. I was afraid I did not have enough filler to do a full 1/16 of an inch, so I stopped at maybe 1mm. It's not perfect, but nobody will see this area.

[​IMG]

Now I just need to finish putting my drill press together and I can start making some new holes in this. Then the first really hard part: I have GOT to sculpt the firing pin detail that goes in the bottom.

39. NormanF

I finished putting the drill press together and started putting new holes in my hard work.

[​IMG]

Then I found a problem when I moved to a bigger bit to counter sink the screws.
    [​IMG]

Bits get longer as they get thicker. The 3/8 inch bit I want to use is about two inches too long. The simplest solution is going to be to buy the cheapest drill bit or bit set I can find and shorten one. The problem is even more severe when it comes to drilling the end hole where I need to fit the primer detail. I don't know if I can cut that bit short enough.

I also found two high spots on the body I want to smooth out.

40. NormanF

Ok, I got all the holes drilled.
    The one in the bottom for where the primer detail goes.

[​IMG]

And the holes for the screws. I drilled a little too far (that's what she said).
    [​IMG]

So I decided the best way to mount the screws was to put some filler in the holes and then put the screws in. It worked for the most part except I added too much hardener and the filler started setting too soon. But I got them all in and scraped off most of the excess. I decided to go ahead and sand everything down now before it fully cured so it would not take as long. That is when everything came apart. Literally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a good view of the cross section of the foam and filler in the thicker area that was supposed to support the screws.
    [​IMG]

Here it is with the chunk put back into position.
    [​IMG]

I think the problem was a combination of having my lathe speed too high, the screw holes weakened the structure, and the extra mass of the screws just ripped it apart. Some of the screws stayed in their holes so I went ahead and sanded part of it by hand. Some of them looked good, some of them were marginal. It might be possible to fix what I have, but it will not be easy. I would have to get some sort of adhesive down in all of the cracks and then buy a strap clamp or two to force everything together while it cures. I think I have to make core #4. I need to think about whether to stick with foam and reinforce it with fiberglass cloth, make the core out of balsa, or some other option. I was so close to being able to start making a mold. Ugh. Well, live and learn I guess.

41. NintendoLiam

NintendoLiam Member

This is a really cool item!
    Hope to see this turn out as an equally epic finished project,
    You will be safe if any behemoths turn up ;)

42. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

bummer, horrible when something like that happens, putting all the time in and it breaks, dont give up though, just means you should be able to improve and make it better from re-doing/fixing it.
    good luck

43. NormanF

Yup. I already bought more foam and some balsa. I keep getting farther with every restart so this one should make it all the way. I think the only big changes I am going to make are:

1. Have the balsa extend out of the top of the body. This will give me more room to sand the top and it will be the opening to pour in resin after I make a mold.
    2. Reinforce that center section. I might have been lucky that it did not commit suicide earlier in the process. I am going to use fiberglass cloth after I fill in the trough area.
    3. Do a better job with the screw holes. The first set of holes were good. When I drilled the holes larger to counter sink the screw heads I had some problems so I went back and enlarged the holes for the screw shafts. After I did that I had to use filler as a glue which needed sanding. I might have gotten away with it if I did not do that last sanding.
    4. Make some sort of drilling jig. It's really hard drilling holes into an egg shaped object (see #3 above). So when I get to that stage I am going to get some plaster and mold a jig to hold the body steady and at the right angle.
    This week I will mostly be working on the nose cone while I wait for the adhesive and then resin for the new core to cure. I will not being posting many updates on the core. No point in showing photos of me doing basically the same thing over again. I will post the occasional update of that to show changes I make. The first one will probably be around the end of this week or the beginning of next week when I reinforce the center section.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  44. NormanF

So I filled in the trench on the new core and this time I put some fiberglass cloth over it to give it strength in the lathe. You can also see that I have some of the balsa core sticking out above the body. This will eventually be the fill hole for pouring in resin if/when I make mold.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably no more updates or pictures until I do something else different from the previous attempt.

45. NormanF

Ok, it's all shiny again. It might need some more sanding though. I just noticed on the second one some rough areas that I did not notice before. I keep forgetting to use a bright light at an angle to show me these things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I might do some more sanding. I am also going to make some sort of jib to hold it at the right angle for drilling the holes to hold the screws that go around the perimeter.

46. NormanF

Holy Bomb, Batman, an update! So I put a bunch of holes into this thing. But it's ok, I plan to fill them.

First, bore a huge hole in the bottom for later details.
    [​IMG]

Drill some plain holes.
    [​IMG]

Then, counter sink those holes (like my catastrophic failure before, you can see how thick the filler is in this area).
    [​IMG]

Now put in the screws. These are #10 nylon screws. For some bizarre reason Home Depot did not have any in metal. I don't know if their supplier screwed them or they screwed up themselves because they sure thought they had them.
    [​IMG]

Apply some rivets that Joann Fabrics think are actually for scrap booking. Those silly people.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just have to do something about that huge gaping wound in the bottom, then this will be ready for some primer, paint, and rubber.

47. NormanF

Ugh, three weeks for an update. I finally figured out how I am going to do the bottom "firing pin" detail. If you look at an earlier post you can see this part is slightly dished with a raised center area. A layer of balsa for the face and two layers of plywood for the backing. The solid piece will be used as backing to hold everything together. When I finish this piece it will make more sense.

The two smaller parts will be for the center button.

[​IMG]

To do the shaping I needed to make some tools. I put some sand paper on a dowel to shape the face and to finalize the center hole. I put some on a popsicle stick to shape the outer edges and to shape the center button.

[​IMG]

I also got a small stack of PVC to make a small portable paint booth. No pictures yet, I need to cut the pipes and glue everything together. I could have just thrown something together but I tried to design it so I can expand it to paint larger items later on.

48. pwrofbauer

pwrofbauer Active Member

I'm glad you kept going with the project even after things fell apart. You've made some great improvements. I'm hoping that this holds together - I would love to see a cast! Do you think you'll offer them in the JY at some point? :D

49. NormanF

I actually do think I will offer some if they come out good. That is the plan anyway.

Sent from my Apple Newton

50. NormanF

I got a very good start on the firing pin detail this weekend. I decided to make two versions: One with just ply and balsa and one with ply, balsa, and Apoxie Sculpt.

The balsa version has a base of 1/64 inch ply. I then had another layer of the same ply with a layer of 1/32 inch balsa on top of that. This is the "detail" layer. I then shaped the balsa and that was pretty much it.

The Apoxie version was a little bit different. Same base as above. This time I had a layer of the same ply with a small hole and two layers of ply with a large hole. The Apoxie goes in between the large hole and is angled down towards the small hole. I decided to make a rough cross section drawing to explain what I am doing.

[​IMG]

The very center with ply and balsa was the same in both designs.

The components for the Apoxie Sculpt version.
    [​IMG]

Balsa version with slits. This turned out well, but it will need more finishing work on the slits.
    [​IMG]

Apoxie version with slits. I liked this one a lot more. It's not perfect, but I can always make another one. This is before I attacked the edges with a sanding drum attached to a dremel.
    [​IMG]

And after two coats of primer.
    [​IMG]

I think a little bit of sanding and it will be ready for some more primer and paint to really seal it. Then it it will be time for the rubber.