EZTops/ClearDomes, Cutting Acrylic

Hamsterstyle

The Clear Choice for your Clear Acrylic Domes, Replacement skylights, Display Domes, Skylights, Custom Skylights and RV Skylights.

What is peoples experience with this company? I've heard them mentioned on here a few times.

Asking may be a moot point as I've already ordered a 17in and 16in clear plastic dome for my Buzz Lightyear Costume. But I figured I should probably see what people think of them also.

My domes should be here in about 2-3 weeks. (Shipping from Maine to Seattle). Does anyone know a more local place to Seattle that might have this kind of stuff? TAP plastics doesn't.

Also, what is the best way to go about cutting the Acrylic? Dremel, scoring? Can it be sanded/Carved?

Thanks in advance. I'll put up a new thread in about a week of my build progress. I'm trying to do something a little different with Buzz.

I'd be careful about sanding the acrylic, you could scratch it pretty badly. If memory serves, they can be cut. You may want to build some kind of jig that fixes the knife and allows you to turn the sphere steadily to get a nice clean score.

Bumping this in hopes of having more experienced voices than myself chime in.

Acrylic can be sanded smooth and polished clear, no problem there. It can be cut, but it's brittle and may chip so be careful and go slow. If you use power tools, keep the speed down or it will melt. To keep a clean edge, cut about 1/16in from the line and finish by sanding.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back