Extended movie versions for fans...

Robert412

So, I'm watching the extended version of the first Harry potter and it occurs to me... What do you guys think of showing the extended version (that will eventually end up on the DVD) for just the midnight showing. Then go back to the regulate version for subsequent showings. I know fans would really love that.

Problem I have with that on a personal level is i'd like to see the extended versions, but since i'm not prepared to spend a day of vacation to see them - i'd have to wait until they hit DVD/BR. In the case of the first Harry Potter, that was 7-8 years later. It hit ABC/ABC Family prior to that, but was never release for purchase until the end of the run of movies.

From a studio standpoint, you have to create two separate films by the same time to distribute, and thats a large expense for something thats only to be shown once. On digital projection, it's still something that's only shown once.

The idea just isn't feasible. More extended cuts add things that were cut, and more often than not there was a good reason it was cut in the first place. Adding stuff back in doesn't always make things better.

What WOULD be nice is if the DVD/BR's offered the chance to view comleted deleted scenes back into the film. I've seen lots of movies with completed deleted scenes that it can't take that much effort to reintegrate them. Yet that's a feature i've RARELY seen offered. The only feature i've seen offered less is the alternate camera view one.

Fans might love it. I don't think exhibitors would. At the end of the night they want to close shop and get out, not hang out for an extra 15 or 20 minutes...for no extra earnings.

Add into that, you don't know if you want to see an extended version of a movie until you have already seen it. I know I certainly wouldn't want to see an extended version of GREEN LANTERN or WOLVERINE ORIGINS. I thought the last TRANSFORMERS movie was already too long. I can't imagine walking into the extended version.

I think the extended versions should probably stay on disc. Odds are that way you have already seen it and know if you want more or not.

So, there are extended versions of the Harry Potter movies? Is there anywhere that tell more of these and how much more each version has extra?

So, it's only the two first movies that come with extended versions?

What are the picture quality on these like? I have the normal BR set and I was a little disappointed in the picture quality on the first few - looked very DNR'd.

So, it's only the two first movies that come with extended versions?

What are the picture quality on these like? I have the normal BR set and I was a little disappointed in the picture quality on the first few - looked very DNR'd.

No, they've put out up to Half-Blood Prince. I assume the last two will be out soon.

I treat Extended/Unrated Editions like I treat DVD/BluRay double dips. What does it add, and why?

GOOD EXAMPLES
Lord of the Rings Trilogy: While the theatrical versions are nice, I will always prefer having more time to spend in Middle Earth with scenes that add a good amount of depth to the universe and it's characters.

Blade Runner/Brazil: Classic examples of directors having two different viewpoints on how they prefer their films should be presented, but include the original studio edition to show just how much conflict there was in making the final cut.

Alien Anthology: Always found it funny that of the four films on this set, the alternate cut of ALIENS was the only true 'Director's Cut' out of the whole bunch, even with ALIEN's alternate cut labeled Director's Cut, which Scott himself said was purely for marketing. What makes the anthology unique is that every film's alternate version are not like the other one. Alien was re-edited to fit with modern day editing in mind, ALIENS was a true alternate version that the director preferred, ALIEN3 was a rough cut version that reflected David Fincher's attempt to get it to theaters before reshoots took over, and ALIEN Resurrection was a case of bringing original conceptualized material to the film with it's alternate opening and ending.

BAD EXAMPLES
Unrated Comedies: I remember seeing the first Unrated DVD of American Pie and wondered "Wow, they really cut stuff out of this R-Rated comedy?". But when I watched it, the differences were so minor and so irrelevant that I used it as an example on how the MPAA is really incompetent. Probably the worst Unrated version of any comedy would have to go to The Five Year Engagement. For a not-so funny comedy that clocks in over two hours, the extended version was pure torture.

Bootleg Quality: The Director's Cut of Army Of Darkness is a pretty interesting take on the cult classic, it's just a pity that the quality of the material used for it was down right unwatchable. Some scenes will look good, while other scenes will look like it was from a third generation recorded VHS tape.

George Lucas: Of all the changes that Lucas has made to his Star Wars films, I think only 15% of the changes actually benefited the films in a positive way. Things like FX clean up and enhancing battle sequences with new effects. Where it gets downright awful is the inclusion of forced comedy that was never there (New Tatooine intro), VERY POORLY DONE FX (CGI ronto just walking in front of the camera), new scenes that add nothing to the story and actually diminishes certain characters (Jabba's inclusion), and replacing original actors with prequel actors (Boba Fett's voice, Hayden's head). But the worst crime that I think everyone here knows is how Lucas seems adamant about never releasing the original, unaltered versions of the film. That's unfortunate.

Family Friendly Editions: Really?

MIXED EXAMPLES
Enhanced Audio: This one is really tricky. Films made on a tight budget with tight time constraints can be quite noticeable in the audio department. The original TERMINATOR for example used a ton of stock audio to the point where every explosion and every gun fire sounded exactly the same. The new remix certainly adds a lot more diversity in the sound department enough that I prefer listening to it than the original, it does give the film a bit of a modern feel that most would consider out of place. Same goes for Scarface that, unlike the new TERMINATOR mix, has a new sound mix that really came out amateurish.

Unannounced Changes: This one is really a mixed bag. This is when alterations were done to the film but were never announced. Battlefield Earth was released on DVD with an alternate cut of the film that got rid of a lot of bad scenes (Can humans fly?) but it was never stated. The BluRay to Blue Thunder features a soundtrack where some elements of the score have been re-edited entirely. Scenes that didn't have music now have it, music starts a bit later in some, and one scene with Lymangood being chased by a car features completely different take on the score.

No, they've put out up to Half-Blood Prince. I assume the last two will be out soon.

There are ultimate editions for all of them, or will be at least. But only the 1st two have added footage. A lot of stuff people would like added in was never shot in the first place.

I have mixed feelings about extended versions. Sometimes they are they way a creator meant for the film to be seen... sometimes they just add stuff to it to make a buck.

Some creators fine tune a cut for specific reasons... I remember reading Kevin Smith's posts (on his message board or via twitter or facebook or something...) how he'd trim a few seconds here or cut a scene or a line there to make a streamlined flick. I remember reading that with a bit of ire - I wanted the full movie that he had written... but, alas it was his vision. And a cut that was initially 2 hours or so ended up being an hour and a half.

I also remember that the first cut of Star Wars was pretty flat. It wasn't until the movie was cut in a way that let it flow better that it clicked.

I love the LOTR extended editions. But, I also love the theatrical cuts. Most of the time, I'd probably choose the shorter versions just because it's an easier watch... let's face it, these movies are already tremendously long and while I love the extra scenes, it's just too much most of the time.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back