EVA Foam tips/tricks?

TMFX

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm looking for EVA foam tricks and tips before I jump into a relatively simple construction for a movie suit.

I'm a professional but I've never used this stuff before. I've seen the male/female N7 armor, Volpin's armor, and the Fallout New Vegas armor threads, but I'm looking for any help simply with technical aspects.

This has to be an HD quality build so I'm looking for tips on heat forming and shaping, as well as sealing the open cells for paint. I've done some tests with plastic paints, primers, and regular lacquers and all seem to bond very well, however the surface is still porous. I wonder if ironing could somehow seal it?

Any thoughts to help us beat the learning curve appreciated!

Here is the design and the areas shown in green will be EVA parts:

TMSpliceCostumeDesign.jpg

emailspacesuit.jpg

For sealing purposes, in what i'm doing, i find that applying a thin base coat of black gelcoat works well. I flexes well and theres only minor cracking, but that's because i sanded it to thin. If you try it just test it out on a small piece. Here's a link to what i'm working on. The large shell and fin on top are EVA foam with a gelcoat on it.

Burgerstrings's Photos - Secret Project | Facebook

do you mean polyester gel coat, for use with fiberglass? So polyester resin doesn't dissolve this foam?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back