EVA Foam question

I am currently at the same stage... Sourcing materials abduction i asked the same question...

The response was 8-10mm for main parts and thinner foam to add detail (neck etc) People on here have used 5mm.

Good luck, I'll b starting next wk end, be good to compare and see how u get on!

Good to know. I did the conversation and my foam is 12.7 mm thick. Looks like I'm going to head to the store and swap it out for some thinner foam.

Another question: How much foam is required for a full armor build?

Are you going to use any resin to harden it so it's not floppy? Cos then you'd really want 5mm or less for helmet otherwise ends up looking like a bobble head, use a foam head or something to sit it on whilst adding hardener to retain shape, but depends how your going to do it

no. 1/2 is too thick. you need to find the rolls of 1/4 inch.

BGremlin - you do not resin foam. it is perfectly stable on its own.

Hm.... You have some great material there, but not for the main build. If you would, I ´d suggest you to get 1/4 to structure everything, if you wish to use 1/2, by all means, I would suggest it in the chest/back part, to give it resistance, even though it may be overkill...

I used 3mm and 5mm thick for the gauntlets and fingers and it worked pretty good. I got mine at Hobby Lobby but you can find sheets of the thinner EVA foam at alot of scrapbooking or craft/hobby stores. It also works great to fill in fine details. I used super-glue on the 3mm instead of hot glue. It is just too thin to get a good bead of hot glue on.

Best advice...try a few test pieces and see what you like and gives you the best results. That is the beauty of foam. Mistakes are cheap and fast so you don't feel bad when you screw up.

How much should I buy for a full Iron Man build?

edit: Also, what is it called exactly at big lots?

im on roll #3 for my gundam. but that takes a lot more foam. you might be able to do it in 2, providing you dont scrap any pieces and make sure that you put your templates close together.
cutting foam, you should leave 1/4 inch between parts so that it cuts right. dont be afraid to use a ruler for straight cuts. it keeps the foam flat and doesnt move.

oh, and make sure you have a lot of blades, foam dulls them. if the blades arent sharp, it rips the foam. you should be able to get 1 part (ex: forearm) per blade. maybe 2 blades for the chest.
thats just my experience

wow, thats $10 more then other places. see if you can find the same type somewhere else.
it took me to sears canada, $10 more then canadian tire.
if your in canada, canadian tire puts it on sale often enough.

I was wondering, what am I suppose to use to harden the foam so that it won't be floppy. And how do I seal it so that I can give it a paint job with spray paint?

you can use plastidip to harden it before u paint but seal it with glue white glue mixed with water or buy a water based sealant like modge podge tcheck out stealths videos on you tube they show you how to seal it pm me for more details and ideas im off to bed good night rpf oh how i love this site

you dnt harden the foam. it takes away from the reason we use it, because its flexible. if you use airbrush paint, you dont have to seal it. but you can use adhesion promotor if you like

walmart is supposed to carry them. at least they do in canada. target should have them as well. im not sure what going on in the world, but yesterday i saw the rolls of 4x8 went up in price by $6. now they are $30 each. hell, when i started buying them last year, they were $21.95

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back