EVA Foam question

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by WBE, Feb 24, 2012.

1. WBE

WBE Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Please delete

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. DOORMANMATT

DOORMANMATT Active Member

I am currently at the same stage... Sourcing materials abduction i asked the same question...

The response was 8-10mm for main parts and thinner foam to add detail (neck etc) People on here have used 5mm.

Good luck, I'll b starting next wk end, be good to compare and see how u get on!

3. WBE

Good to know. I did the conversation and my foam is 12.7 mm thick. Looks like I'm going to head to the store and swap it out for some thinner foam.

Another question: How much foam is required for a full armor build?

4. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

5. WBE

Do you think I could complete the helmet with the 1/2in thick foam?

6. BGremlin

BGremlin New Member

Are you going to use any resin to harden it so it's not floppy? Cos then you'd really want 5mm or less for helmet otherwise ends up looking like a bobble head, use a foam head or something to sit it on whilst adding hardener to retain shape, but depends how your going to do it

7. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

no. 1/2 is too thick. you need to find the rolls of 1/4 inch.

BGremlin - you do not resin foam. it is perfectly stable on its own.

8. Hermes

Hermes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hm.... You have some great material there, but not for the main build. If you would, I ´d suggest you to get 1/4 to structure everything, if you wish to use 1/2, by all means, I would suggest it in the chest/back part, to give it resistance, even though it may be overkill...

9. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

the only thing 1/2 is good for is plate armor or mass effect armor

10. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I used 3mm and 5mm thick for the gauntlets and fingers and it worked pretty good. I got mine at Hobby Lobby but you can find sheets of the thinner EVA foam at alot of scrapbooking or craft/hobby stores. It also works great to fill in fine details. I used super-glue on the 3mm instead of hot glue. It is just too thin to get a good bead of hot glue on.

Best advice...try a few test pieces and see what you like and gives you the best results. That is the beauty of foam. Mistakes are cheap and fast so you don't feel bad when you screw up.

11. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

big lots is your friend. 9x4 ft rolls for $18 1/4" thick

12. WBE

How much should I buy for a full Iron Man build?

edit: Also, what is it called exactly at big lots?

13. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

im on roll #3 for my gundam. but that takes a lot more foam. you might be able to do it in 2, providing you dont scrap any pieces and make sure that you put your templates close together.
    cutting foam, you should leave 1/4 inch between parts so that it cuts right. dont be afraid to use a ruler for straight cuts. it keeps the foam flat and doesnt move.

oh, and make sure you have a lot of blades, foam dulls them. if the blades arent sharp, it rips the foam. you should be able to get 1 part (ex: forearm) per blade. maybe 2 blades for the chest.
    thats just my experience

14. cama900

cama900 Active Member

15. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

wow, thats $10 more then other places. see if you can find the same type somewhere else.
    it took me to sears canada, $10 more then canadian tire.
    if your in canada, canadian tire puts it on sale often enough.

16. yulittle

yulittle New Member

I was wondering, what am I suppose to use to harden the foam so that it won't be floppy. And how do I seal it so that I can give it a paint job with spray paint?

17. ironspider

ironspider New Member

you can use plastidip to harden it before u paint but seal it with glue white glue mixed with water or buy a water based sealant like modge podge tcheck out stealths videos on you tube they show you how to seal it pm me for more details and ideas im off to bed good night rpf oh how i love this site

18. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

you dnt harden the foam. it takes away from the reason we use it, because its flexible. if you use airbrush paint, you dont have to seal it. but you can use adhesion promotor if you like

19. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

20. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

walmart is supposed to carry them. at least they do in canada. target should have them as well. im not sure what going on in the world, but yesterday i saw the rolls of 4x8 went up in price by $6. now they are $30 each. hell, when i started buying them last year, they were $21.95

21. astromechr4p17

astromechr4p17 New Member

In total, I paid 110 USD for the foam.. It is 1/2 inch anti-fatigue mats from Lowes and came in 4 packs. Very generic. A little bit too thick to do the hands, and the helmet was tough, but the rest was great. It might be more durable and look sharper if you mix it up. I posted album pics

22. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

1/4 is so much better for working with. people only really use the 1/2 for masseffect

23. cf2

cf2 New Member

1/2" is way to thick for most parts of the suit. As stated, Big Lots carries the 1/4" foam in rolls for $16. I'm about to start on my third roll. I got two helmets, both full arms, chest, back, abs, cod and one thigh out of two rolls.

When you cut off pieces from the roll use a heat gun on the front and back to flatten it out. this also makes it a little firmer since it melts the foam a little and then hardens up as it cools. Once you cut the pattern use the gun again to re-heat the foam and shape it. One thing that I found helps is after shaping the piece I throw it into my mini fridge (which is right next to my desk) to cool it down faster and harden it up a bit.

I'm new to the EVA process as well but I have learned a lot through trial and error as well as answers given on RPF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

This is awesome guys, my buddy and I are getting ready to make a couple suits and this is the info we needed!

25. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

i dont know if it works out to be cheaper. but you can dual layer the 1/8 craft foam if you want more detail. i did this for my daughter and it looks great

26. Krazaam

Krazaam New Member

Actually, the best place I've found for EVA foam, is Harbor Freight. They sell a 4-pack for $9.99, and they're having a big sale soon, and it'll probably go even further on sale

27. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

thats fine if your building something that requires bulk or mass effect armor. but the 1/4 inch rolls are more useful for everything else. so in other words, walmart.

28. SchubroProductions

SchubroProductions Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What department in Walmart can I find the 1/4" thick rolls? I checked both the auto and hardware sections and couldn't find it.

29. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

not sure about the states. in canada its in between the auto and hardware, which are side by side.

30. kialna

kialna Sr Member

I wished I could find it in here. However, I noticed something in the sportsshop. Excercise mats aren't a bad idea, or even camping/sleeping mats...

31. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

those can work. but they are not as dense as the standard mats. they flex a lot more.
    most people have tried them and thrown them out.

32. Raisac

Raisac New Member

amazing! tutorial of this? :)

33. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

look up "the hero tutorials" on youtube. stealth, from here does ironman stuff on there.
    but one thing. ironman is cool. but soooooooooooooooo over done. why not try something less populated?

34. afortun

afortun New Member

I also have a question in regards to the "Power Pro Craft 24sqft Anti-Fatigue Foam Flooring that Big Lots sells.

I just purchased 3 sets today, thought it was an AWESOME DEAL.

Got everything laid out, still need two more squares.

As I was packing everything up to throw away, I noticed a "WARNING" tag in the bottom right corner:

WARNING: This product contains LEAD,a chemical known to State of California to cause, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

Is this product safe or should I return it and report it to Big Lots and the FDA?

Any help or information on what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  35. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

ugh... dont get that from the Best-Step ones everyone uses. you might want to look at better quality, cause that is just wrong!

36. afortun

afortun New Member

Do you remember "Robotech?" Now that would be coooooooo...

37. afortun

afortun New Member

Can you recommend any? Thanks for the advice!

38. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

ofcourse i remember it. i was 4 when it aired, but it was my intro to anime. veritech costumes are not doable... properly. destroids however are.
    anyways. i already did suggest some. Best-step by venture products.
    but i dont know if they have that where you are. add your general location to your profile. it helps us when you ask where to get something.

39. afortun

afortun New Member

I am located in Nebraska, thanks Grave!

40. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the 1/2 inch should be fine for the Torso. I've seen people do a nice job with that

I'd suggest getting the 1/4 inch for the rest though.

41. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member