EVA Foam question

In total, I paid 110 USD for the foam.. It is 1/2 inch anti-fatigue mats from Lowes and came in 4 packs. Very generic. A little bit too thick to do the hands, and the helmet was tough, but the rest was great. It might be more durable and look sharper if you mix it up. I posted album pics

1/2" is way to thick for most parts of the suit. As stated, Big Lots carries the 1/4" foam in rolls for $16. I'm about to start on my third roll. I got two helmets, both full arms, chest, back, abs, cod and one thigh out of two rolls.

When you cut off pieces from the roll use a heat gun on the front and back to flatten it out. this also makes it a little firmer since it melts the foam a little and then hardens up as it cools. Once you cut the pattern use the gun again to re-heat the foam and shape it. One thing that I found helps is after shaping the piece I throw it into my mini fridge (which is right next to my desk) to cool it down faster and harden it up a bit.

I'm new to the EVA process as well but I have learned a lot through trial and error as well as answers given on RPF.

i dont know if it works out to be cheaper. but you can dual layer the 1/8 craft foam if you want more detail. i did this for my daughter and it looks great

Actually, the best place I've found for EVA foam, is Harbor Freight. They sell a 4-pack for $9.99, and they're having a big sale soon, and it'll probably go even further on sale

thats fine if your building something that requires bulk or mass effect armor. but the 1/4 inch rolls are more useful for everything else. so in other words, walmart.

I wished I could find it in here. However, I noticed something in the sportsshop. Excercise mats aren't a bad idea, or even camping/sleeping mats...

those can work. but they are not as dense as the standard mats. they flex a lot more.
most people have tried them and thrown them out.

1/2" is way to thick for most parts of the suit. As stated, Big Lots carries the 1/4" foam in rolls for $16. I'm about to start on my third roll. I got two helmets, both full arms, chest, back, abs, cod and one thigh out of two rolls.

When you cut off pieces from the roll use a heat gun on the front and back to flatten it out. this also makes it a little firmer since it melts the foam a little and then hardens up as it cools. Once you cut the pattern use the gun again to re-heat the foam and shape it. One thing that I found helps is after shaping the piece I throw it into my mini fridge (which is right next to my desk) to cool it down faster and harden it up a bit.

I'm new to the EVA process as well but I have learned a lot through trial and error as well as answers given on RPF.

amazing! tutorial of this? :)

look up "the hero tutorials" on youtube. stealth, from here does ironman stuff on there.
but one thing. ironman is cool. but soooooooooooooooo over done. why not try something less populated?

I also have a question in regards to the "Power Pro Craft 24sqft Anti-Fatigue Foam Flooring that Big Lots sells.

I just purchased 3 sets today, thought it was an AWESOME DEAL.

Got everything laid out, still need two more squares.

As I was packing everything up to throw away, I noticed a "WARNING" tag in the bottom right corner:

WARNING: This product contains LEAD,a chemical known to State of California to cause, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

Is this product safe or should I return it and report it to Big Lots and the FDA?

Any help or information on what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
ugh... dont get that from the Best-Step ones everyone uses. you might want to look at better quality, cause that is just wrong!

look up "the hero tutorials" on youtube. stealth, from here does ironman stuff on there.
but one thing. ironman is cool. but soooooooooooooooo over done. why not try something less populated?

Do you remember "Robotech?" Now that would be coooooooo...

ofcourse i remember it. i was 4 when it aired, but it was my intro to anime. veritech costumes are not doable... properly. destroids however are.
anyways. i already did suggest some. Best-step by venture products.
but i dont know if they have that where you are. add your general location to your profile. it helps us when you ask where to get something.

ofcourse i remember it. i was 4 when it aired, but it was my intro to anime. veritech costumes are not doable... properly. destroids however are.
anyways. i already did suggest some. Best-step by venture products.
but i dont know if they have that where you are. add your general location to your profile. it helps us when you ask where to get something.

I am located in Nebraska, thanks Grave!

the 1/2 inch should be fine for the Torso. I've seen people do a nice job with that

I'd suggest getting the 1/4 inch for the rest though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back