EVA cutting and beveling problems

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Dropbear

So I finally decided to build my first proper costume recently. I got hold of templates and a good tutorial to follow. It's a Halo: Reach ODST armor.
Cutting out and tracing the templates onto eva foam is pretty much straightforward for me.. well I could be neater but it works.
But when it came to cutting I ran into many problems.

Now I know to sharpen/replace blade every few cuts but it's not cutting for me (unintentional pun) I struggle to get neat lines that follow the template or they aren't smooth. I used some scissors and it works pretty well but it's hard to be accurate with them on small edges and odd angles. Using a knife has been difficult for me as well. I feel hopeless.
I also see people in videos cutting through it so accurately and like butter and for me it's like cutting wood with a butter knife sometimes. I am using one of those xacto blades that can snap off and those scalpel type blades as well but so far no dice.

Beveling is even worse I can't even seem to do it.. I am not sure what to do and am beginning to become frustrated.and unmotivated.

I am thinking of trying a wood burner/soldering iron with a knife attachment will work for me but I need to go out and buy one.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :D

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Klybern

It does take practice making sure you stay at a consistent cutting angle I do like using a hot knife it seals while it cuts and gives nice smooth lines. My first few times I ended up trying to sand it down with a dremel tool

George

Master Member
Hi DB,have a look at JfCustom's foam files thread with lots of hints and tricks for material and methods.
With regard to cutting it is said that frequent sharpening/replacement of the blades works in favor of clean cutting.The use of a ruler will at least help you with the straight lines.
Good luck for now and keep reading/watching tutorials

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.