ESB Studio scale Cloud Car / Twin Pod!

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Coinprop, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Coinprop

Coinprop Well-Known Member

Yes, here it is, the first cast.
    As You can see this is only one of the pods, but all the other pieces are coming shortly.
    And yes Kurt, this is Your Pod :D

I'm pleased with the way they come out of the mold, and there are not much clean up work, just take a scalpel and cut around the edge.

[​IMG]

cc2.jpg

cc3.jpg

cc4.jpg

cc5.jpg

cc6.jpg

OK, just for kicks, here is the main body...this will be done in two different upper body parts and the bottom parts will be identical, just like the original.....there will be more pictures late this week.

ccprimed.jpg

Engine is DONE! I will make a mold of it soon. Other pieces are gotting ready for mold making.

cloudcar%20engine%20done.jpg

ccbody.jpg
    This is the top and bottom together! Only a few smal details left (sorry for the bad picture, was taken in a rush)

More pictures later this week.

Good day to You all! I just LOVE that spring is in its full here in Sweden :)
    OK, the Cloud Car.....as some of You know I moved to a new house and I had to build up my studio before I could do anything big, well, the studio is ready and I'm in there as much as I can.

Alot has happen'd to the engine, it 99% done, and the main body is about 98% at this point. I still need a few smal details for the cockpit...but thats about it!
    The reason I have a slow pase building this is because I have to figure stuff out all the time....the body will be hollow and it will be possible for You to mount electronics inside the model, and a brass tubing will go through the whole engine/wing bit, so wires can be easy to install...and the brass tubes will also work as a reinforcement!! :) it has to be able to hold those two bodys up!

So here is a few pictures, I will post more pictures after the weekend.

I can just say...if I may...this is going to be one sweet baby! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cc003.jpg

Hi everybody!
    As a few of You know I have a lot on my plate at the moment, so I'm sorry if I havent been able to update as much as I wanted to!

This weekend I have done many things, it might look like nothing, but I'm 80% done at this point!!! :)
    What I've done is, built the lower part of the body....built the upper body for the left side (the blater hole is on oposite side from each other)
    I have built the back for the middle "wing" (see picture), it is done so electronics can be instaled!

What is left is the pilot, the "thing" that goes on the back of the body...and a few SMAL details. :)
    On with the pictures......the pictures are just put together in a flash....I had to do some "photoshoping" because I only have one lower part, and I saw after I put the pictures in the PC that a few things where not straight...but this is just put together so You guys can see what I've done so far.

I hope You like!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE: I have got some help from a few of You guys with pictures, thank You so much!!
    I still need as many pictures as I can get, to get everything as right as possible. And if someone know of any kitbashed parts for this model, please let me know.

*****************************************************************************

Just a few pictures, one has a CD for ref! BTW...thanks WC for hosting my pictures!
    Soon I will have two different upper part sides, with the gun hole one at each side!

And as You can see....this is only put together for showing.... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The list is now full! I might do another run...but I'm not sure when or IF!

1.Kuhn Global
    2.Apophis
    3.szarchie
    4.ralphee
    5.Jestefarean
    6.HDPE
    7.STEVE THE SWEDE
    8.trvann
    9.swfan
    10.Krachenvogel

11.Sandcrawler
    12.Vos
    13.Gort
    14.Maths_Hal
    15.GF
    16.Viceland
    17.Jades Dark Heart
    18.JP05
    19.swpropmaker
    20.luke moonwalker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are only 1 spot left for this run.....so if You are thinking about it.....hurry hurry!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK...new update!
    I have made a mold to cast the upper half in....this will be used to produce the left upper side as well.
    Many things are happening now, all at the same time :) so I will try and post here as soon as I have something new to show.

Here are the first cast. Made of glassfiber and gelcoat!
    [​IMG]

Here is the list so far...only 2 spots left on the first run....and dont know if there will be a 2nd.

1.Kuhn Global
    2.Apophis
    3.szarchie
    4.ralphee
    5.Jestefarean
    6.HDPE STORMY
    7.STEVE THE SWEDE
    8.trvann
    9.swfan
    10.Krachenvogel

11.Sandcrawler
    12.Vos
    13.Gort
    14.Maths_Hal
    15.GF
    16.Viceland
    17.Jades Dark Heart
    18.JP05
    19.swpropmaker
    20.luke moonwalker

Hi people,

I finally got my mold material!!! :D So i will start right away and start mold the parts that need to be molded, so I can go forward.
    I hope that I will be able to show ALOT till the weekend.

Oh, if You are thinking about joining the list, please do so now.....there will only be 20 spots for this run, and I dont know if there will be time for another run one soon!!!

Again, thanks for all the kind words!

Tobe

Hey gang!
    I thought that I was going to give You all a big update! Well.....there was a smal shipping accident.....so I have no molding material, I had to refuse the package.
    So now I dont know when I will get it...hopfully soon!

[​IMG]

And here are the good news! I have ben building on this motor, and it was a pretty hard part to construct.....but I think the result became OK!
    There are still a few details left, and it will look different primed...but this is just so You guys can see what is going on.
    The pilots are soon finished, and the bottom half of the ship will be done shortly.
    All I'm waiting on is the silicone!!!!! ;)

[​IMG]

There are parts that needs to be smoothen out...so there are a few things left on it!

Even though it looks like I'm not getting anyware....well, I am! :) I'm just a little slow taking pictures. Soon I will have a majer update, and lots of pictures!

Anyway, the price for this sweet baby will be something in the area of $350 - $375 + shipping.
    If You feel that is to much, and are on the list...let me know and I'll take You off the list.

1.Kuhn Global
    2.Apophis
    3.szarchie
    4.ralphee
    5.Jestefarean
    6.HDPE STORMY
    7.STEVE THE SWEDE
    8.trvann
    9.swfan
    10.Krachenvogel

11.Sandcrawler
    12.Vos
    13.Gort
    14.Maths_Hal
    15.GF
    16.Viceland
    17.Jades Dark Heart
    18.JP05

Just a quick update here, the work on the model is going as planned...just got back to work from the vacation...so I will not have as much time to build now, but I got so much done over the summer so there will be no problem getting it together soon!!!

This is a one week old picture, there are a few more parts done, and halfs of the ship done...so I will have a bigger update shortly. This is of the gun hole in the ship.

[​IMG]

OK people, here are a quick update....... :)

[​IMG]

The body are almost done! Just some light sanding and primeing :)
    Just a few pictures to show the progress, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work on the lower body is in the works, engine and wing almost done...and pilots are being sculpted.
    :p I'm really happy about how this project is turning out, and I hope to be done with it in a few weeks!

Still, need help with some of the parts that are used on the model!!!!
    And PLEASE GIVE ME PICTURES OF THIS SPACESHIP IF YOU HAVE ANY!!!

OK, I have been away for a few days, so I havent done as much as I thought I do...but the budy for the ship is comming along great!
    There are still some sanding to do, but I just wanted to share what I've done so far.

[​IMG]

I WANT HELP WITH KITBASHED PARTS FOR THIS SHIP, AND IF SOMEONE HAVE PICTURES OF IT FROM EXHIBITIONS OR A MUSEUM. thanks You!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Fantastic work, i love the twin pod, always wanted to build one, but ive never vacformed a thing and its so necessary for the hull, great to see someone tackling it, the only other build ive seen was Lasse Hennings.

3. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I will be keeping my eye on this project. Looks promising. ;)

Is this a Studio Scale reproduction Tobe?

I never quite liked this design, but I still got the original toy when it was released and now the design has grown on me a bit. I think obtaining one of these in Studio Scale is necessary to be as complete as possible. LOL.

Looks like you are doing a beautiful job..

4. Coinprop

Thanks guys.

Kuhn, Yes, it is studio scale. :love
    I hope I have more to show later this week.

5. mbmcfarland

mbmcfarland Sr Member

That's awesome. I've never seen a studio scale cloud car before, and I have always really liked the design for some reason. (I even liked the cloud car pilot action figure.) I'll be following this thread closely...

Looking forward to more pics,
    Mike

6. REL

REL Sr Member

Very very nice castings there.

7. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

I know this isnt a whos interested list, but I`d be interested in one if you ever decied to do one :love

8. szarchie

szarchie New Member

Sign me up for one if you are making kits....

Archie

9. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Well id have to say id be in too.

10. Coinprop

<div class='quotetop'>(Apophis @ Jul 9 2006, 03:13 AM) [snapback]1277019[/snapback]</div>
    That is good to know.
    I WILL be doing a smal run of them when mine is done... :love And mine will be finished at the end of the summer or before.

Thanks for all the coments. :)

11. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

[

Saweet. Im in.

12. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

OK....Ditto...

13. sstinson

sstinson Well-Known Member

as far as kitbashed parts for the cloud car, i would look at submarine kits that were available at the time.

14. jedi_adrian

jedi_adrian New Member

wow great project..

15. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

As an odd subject that doesnt get much exposure in the StarWars universe, it is a welcomed change and if done right (which just by the canopy is) will get my money..

16. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Tobe,..

I must admit that you have sparked my thinking about the Cloud Car. :p It is a piece I had not considered until now.

What do you have complete on this so far? Do you have more pictures you might show? What kind of run are you expecting from your molds? I know that is hard to predict, but interested I am. :)

17. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Way to go Tobe.

You can already put me down for a kit whenever you do that small run.

The cloud car is one of my fav ESB ship B)

18. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(HDPE STORMY @ Jul 11 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1278682[/snapback]</div>
    I second that, its got a charm to it, always has had a good standing on design with me and for some reason ive always loved the color, no doubt, im very much in for one. One of my fave figures as a kid was the CC pilot too.

19. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

No. I don't have a landing permit...

But I think this is a great project..

20. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

" wai wai wait lemme explain" lol

21. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

I think everyone is ramped up about your little project.

22. Coinprop

Hi guys,
    I just got back from a few days away and visiting family. I'm really glad to see so many people sharing my interest in this model.
    I think it's one of the coolest out there in Star Wars universe. It is SO different from the other gray models.

I do have other parts ready, but no pictures of them yet...and there are smal details on them that needs to be fixed before I show them.

But I will post new pictures asap. But I want my model to be perfect, so I'm not rushing anything...I have based every detail from pictures that I've got from friends of the original model and the Chronicles book.
    I have found some of the kitbashed parts used (With help from a friend ;) ), so the scale is right on. :p

Thanks for following this.

23. Coinprop

See first post for new info and updates. :)

24. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

comming along very nicely.. the canopy looks real sharp.

25. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Cool, keep the pics coming.

I'll be riveted to this thread.

26. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (Old picture, many changes done after this was taken)

This is great. Are you planning to include the pilots?
    I really like to design of those helmets. Really hope that this makes it to a kit.

Greetings,

BasD

27. Coinprop

Yes, it is evident to me that the model I'm building is going to be as close as possible to the original, so the pilots will be there, ocn with moustache and one without. :p
    I will build the chair and everything, the pilot is being sculpted as we speak. :love As You say trooperprop, those helmets rock. I love the look of those pilots aswell.

The build up will be this, the body will be done in resin or FG, and it will be reinforced when done in resin.
    I want the whole construction to be hollow, to allow electronics to be intaled, and for the weight.
    And the wing with the engine will have a metal core inside, and the engine will be hollow to allow electronics.

Any idears or suggetions are welcome.

I will have more pictures of the body soon, hopefully up today.

28. Coinprop

NEW Pictures in fist post.

29. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

excellent job.

30. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

31. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Awesome. It's great to see that you've finally started to work on this project again. It's going to be killer, no doubts about that.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Steve.

32. trvann

trvann New Member

Put me down for one.. Looking good.

Tom

33. Coinprop

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have added a new picture on the first page/post...take a look.

34. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

about how much would this set me back?? B)

35. Coinprop

<div class='quotetop'>(Apophis @ Jul 31 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]1291445[/snapback]</div>
    :p I dont know yet. :lol
    thanks everybody for Your support, and interest in the build.
    New pictures on the first page, first post.

36. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Whoa.

Comin' along fantastically neato, it looks...

37. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Man that is sweeeeeeet.

You're getting to the DUDE factor very fast.

Can't wait to see this done. I know it is early,... is there going to be a kit?

38. Coinprop

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Aug 9 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]1297304[/snapback]</div>
    Yes there will be a kit. :thumbsup
    I dont know how many I want to do though...so it would be great if I knew how many that are interested.

T

39. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Thats a thing of beauty right there CP, no matter what ,im in on this.

40. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Speechless.

I already said it but I'll say it again: I'm in for one.

41. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I may be in for one. :) It is certainly a piece I would enjoy owning. :D

How are your castings turning out? :confused I am truly sorry to ask, and I know this has nothing to do with your work since I have not seen it yet, but lately I have seen some really bad casts from self-proclaimed perfect casters. :eek: Very scary indeed to think that some of the stuff being put out and sold is acceptable. It's just crazy.. LOL. I know everything can be fixed by the model masters I commission, but I would rather be sure of the quality before hand. This may be a subject for another controversy thread. LOL. Sorry to bring it up in yours, but I needed to ask before committing. Sometimes I am just to eager and jump the gun. LOL :$

From your pics,.. it looks extremely well done. Definitely something to be proud of. I would definitely enjoy getting one. It looks to be dead on. I can't say it was my favorite ship design of the series, but certainly it was one of the most unique and thus eventually MUST be part of the collection. GREAT JOB Tobe.

42. Coinprop

Kuhn Global, I think this is a very good question.. And I'm really glad You brought it up...becouse this is an important question for me to.
    The thing is, I work as an tooth tech, and I cast and mold every day, and I'm kind of * about it :p
    I can throw away a cast if I dont like it...and the castings that I do at work HAS to be perfect, they are going to fit someting and the marginal can be 0,05mm or non.

I know that I'm good at what I do when it comes to casting and making molds. And a few people here at this forum have dealt with me and my "castings" in the past, and they have always been so supriced that the cast was so clean...but I leave it for them to post here if they want to :)

And as You say, the build up looks dead on...thank You so much for that. :)
    I love what I do, and I want everything to be "perfect" so details are very important to me. I know that it will show in the cast that will come out of the mold, so the more time I spend now the less time will You guys have to spend on the model/kit. My plan is to have it made so good that You just have to put it together and paint it..

This is how i plan to make the model.
    The "body" will be done in FG, so it will be light but sturdy. The only parts that are cast in resin is the canopy and some parts on the engine in the middle of the wing.
    So the whole ship will be hollow, so electronics will be easy to install. And a metal rod or something can be added inside the wing.

The ship will be cast as two halfs, and the wing as one part...and "all" the smal parts so they can be added ("all" pieces is like 4 or 5 pieces).

I will have more pictures to show soon, and I hope that everyone that get a kit will love it.

As I said before, I dont know how many I will make...that is why I asked people to "sign" up, just to get a hinch on how many are interested. Signing up is NOT writen in stone...so it's just a "I'm interested" sign up. :thumbsup

43. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

KEWL... and on that note... my name is in the hat of the interested. LOL.

Thanks for the quick response Tobe.

44. swfan

swfan Well-Known Member

Definitely put me on the list as well. It looks amazing. Awesome work.

Isel

45. Coinprop

Thanks again for all the kind words. It really means alot. :)

I have put down a little list of people saying that they want to be on it. If You feel YOU should be on there please let me know and I'll add You.
    If You feel You want to be removed, same there, just tell me and I will take You of the list.

1.Kuhn Global
    2.Apophis
    3.szarchie
    4.ralphee
    5.Jestefarean
    6.HDPE STORMY
    7.trooperprop
    8.STEVE THE SWEDE
    9.trvann
    10.swfan

11.Krachenvogel
    12.Sandcrawler

This is just a "pre" interest list, just a way for me to get a picture of how many are interested.

EDIT: Added to the list
    Tobe

46. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Cool, thanks for that Tobe.....lee

47. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Is it too early to start discussing paint on this creation? Im already airbrushing in my head lol. Reefer orange toned down? Too vibrant? Was wondering what Lasse Henning used on his, havent been to his site for a while.......lee

48. Krachenvogel

Krachenvogel Well-Known Member

I might be interested in a copy of this kit, depending on final price. The old Kenner cloud car toy was the first Star Wars ship I bought with my very own money, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

49. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

The pipe/tubing array round the drive unit, it look like what is used inside the drive unit of the snowspeeder (inside the fins) havent got a pic in the PC but anyone know what that part is? It looks like one part on the cloud car, but maybe cut up in the speeder fin section. Just waxing lol.

50. Coinprop

Ralphee, do You have a picture that illustrate what You mean.?
    Much easier with pictures.