ESB Luke's Grappling Gun

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone

Lets discuss this cool prop. Luke's grappling gun - he grabs it before escaping the snowspeeder and uses it to stick to the belly of an AT-AT and bomb the crap out of the inside. Mark broke his thumb doing this scene!

GrapplingGun.png
hothgrenadegold.jpg
hothgrapplinggun.jpg
Flamethrower3.jpg

Flamethrower4.jpg

Member 1010nguyens broke the surface with this one. I have been on the RPF for around 10 years and have yet to come across any leads on this one. It always looked like some sort of plumbing thing that weirdly looked like a gun, maybe custom made, but it's star wars, c'mon!

A LifeBuoy FlameThrower wand.
flamethrower.png

Mara Jade's Father also found an alternate model.
flamethrower2.jpg

There seems to be a handheld prop and a prop connected to the harness Mark is attached to. The handle seems to be solid though, not sure if that means this is resin cast or a real part.

Does anyone else think there are two versions, a hero and a stunt?

Maybe it’s the photos but the coloring of the main body looks different from the one removed from the cockpit vs the one attached to the AT-AT. The one removed from the cockpit looks very close in color and detail as the one 1010nguyens posted. The one hanging looks more of a bluishgray.

Last edited:
They are very different. The set-prop appears to be a casting of the wand only, with the ringed section added. Check out the snub-nose beveled area here.
fullsizeoutput_20db.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20d9.jpeg

The one he handles has like 2 or 3 extra flanges with red decoration right?

gonna try to do a mock-up of this with an old wide body flare gun and camera grip , and some old cloth vacuum hose
whatever's on hand

won't be nearly screen accurate, but I think it will have enough of the "look"

also might beg me to dress as a Hoth pilot for Halloween

They are very different. The set-prop appears to be a casting of the wand only, with the ringed section added. Check out the snub-nose beveled area here.
View attachment 1328763View attachment 1328764

The one he handles has like 2 or 3 extra flanges with red decoration right?

The "extra" flanges with red tip are present and sticking to the At-AT ;)

That´s the front section of the grappling hook, that attaches to the walkers surface...

BTW...the LifeBuoy FlameThrower is still my favourite candidate. With a different (or "modified") front grip, it matches the actual prop in pretty much all details!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back