ESB - Jedi Blade system

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I really want to hash out more on how the ROTJ MoM DV6 (whatever) Vader saber is held together.

To do this, I think it would be good to consolidate discussion on this topic in general. The DV6 was originally an ESB Luke hilt, one way or another. Which means certain things. The sabers we know of that were built this way include:

1 ANH Luke pipe with bolts
stunt saber.jpgfoamgrips.jpg1.pngDVDbespin008-vi.jpg
Barbican Saber*
Darth Vader lightsaber ANH.jpegBrandonAlingerComparison.jpgfullsizeoutput_1f73.jpegScreen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.11.25 AM (1).png
*Vader Severed Hand cast
barb37.jpgIMGP9060.jpg
Luke ESB Graflex (maybe multiples, maybe just 1)*
fullsizeoutput_1f7d.jpegScreen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.13.28 AM.png1DagobahBlade.jpgESBBladesocket.jpguppersocketproof1.jpg
*Vader DV6
vlcsnap-2017-01-31-18h45m04s214.jpg496401415523232.pngDvrotj3.jpg
Vader MPP (Maybe multiples, maybe just 1)
MPPStunt.jpegVADER_ROTJ_STUNT_(MPP)_01.jpgempire07b-vi.jpg
*1 ANH Motorized Luke pipe without black bolts, just a small grub screw seen in warehouse*
PracticeStunt1.jpg
empire03-vi2.jpgv3 14.png

any more?

The main item inside the hilt is an aluminum slug. I am 99% sure they did not extend through the entire hilt, it would be too back heavy. A front-half core balances the saber in your hand, I've done this at home. Black M6 bolts, countersunk, held the core in the tube. The Barbican and the "pipe" stunt had 4 bolts and a solid front-half core.
screen shot 1.pngScreen Shot 2015-04-10 at 4.24.06 PM.png
The Graflex, at least, had a second core replacing the upper section of the socket, while the slug replaced the lower section of the socket leaving the middle. The MPP.... we are not sure, there seem to be wires suggesting a socket piece, but it also would be easier to run a solid core.
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.25.14 AM.png

The countersinking was not well done, I have NO idea why there are 7 bolts in the Vader DV6, after drilling 1... maybe 2.... properly, a core is stuck solid.

Anyway, the other feature is a steel tang stuck in the core, with a lathed ring for the blade collar set screws. I'm not 100% sure where the grub screw for these are in the hilt. The pipe stunt may have one where the red button used to go, there is a threaded hole there. The others? I can only assume a threaded hole is drilled into the core somewhere, with a grub screw lowered flush with the surface, so it can slide into the tube. This might explain why people kept chopping the tang with a hacksaw instead of pulling it out like the V3, the screw might not have been accessible...covered by the bolted handle

Back to the DV6 this means we can start our brainstorming standing on a few facts. We can't see any tang grub screw (with the Vader parts on the flash at least). The core extends from the side ports to.... at least.... to the 3 bolts side-by-side on the back of the saber. I doubt it goes much further, I think it is the Luke core and I have been told they don't extend much further than the front half of the flash. ala, this photo, look on the sofa
EbayAuction StarWars.jpg

So now begs the question how the heck is the rear of the Vader saber held on so well it can be hung upside down!? It is able to twist.. which maybe means only a couple screws attach it. I see black empty space behind the control box, actually two where there should be 1 (the bayonet lock slot). People who can do 3D stuff, I would love to hear your thoughts.
VaderSaberGrip.jpg
127287205_3285005164955408_5379052210373307881_n.jpeg
dv_ls_rotj_02.jpg

It’s on display as we speak? If so where?!
Last I heard it was hanging at one of the recent exhibitions on a Vader costume? One time it hung from the bottom! Really makes me strive to figure out how it’s held together

These pics are from the Magic of Myth exhibit at the air and space museum ages ago

I went through a nearly 20 year old thread. We had already guessed the purpose of the extra dimple behind the ball catch, we already knew about the blade system but most people thought it was pvc filled with resin. We also were asking the same questions… how is this held together, what is that dark space?! For what it’s worth, there isn’t a pipe bridging the gap
C87F8654-B8BD-438E-B723-B0E92F9725AB.jpeg

Also, on the switch
D0D3998C-B3D9-43E2-8A9D-D83BB2ED6A7E.png
1BFB800B-6004-4F9E-BCE1-EE12CF8C5697.png

I want to add something that I hope Halliwax will see.

My Warehouse saber, pipe stunt, etc. the whole blade vibrates and rattles when struck. It seems on set the blade flexed and the handle area stayed put. How on earth were they able to lock the blades down so tight that all force went to the blade?

I want to add something that I hope Halliwax will see.

My Warehouse saber, pipe stunt, etc. the whole blade vibrates and rattles when struck. It seems on set the blade flexed and the handle area stayed put. How on earth were they able to lock the blades down so tight that all force went to the blade?
I think that whatever they chose as the actual blade material would be key to this issue….

If you have a rigid steel pole screwed directly into a metal shaft, you are likely going to get some very direct vibrations into the hilt that is felt in your hands since the energy is not absorbed by a metal blade and is transferred outward into the hilt.

If they chose a pole / blade that was composed of softer, shock absorbing material…like the exterior of an antenna, a theory that has been bounced around from time to time…or some other soft material like wood, carbon fiber, etc….you are less likely to deal with that issue.

I think that whatever they chose as the actual blade material would be key to this issue….

If you have a rigid steel pole screwed directly into a metal shaft, you are likely going to get some very direct vibrations into the hilt that is felt in your hands since the energy is not absorbed by a metal blade and is transferred outward into the hilt.

If they chose a pole / blade that was composed of softer, shock absorbing material…like the exterior of an antenna, a theory that has been bounced around from time to time…or some other soft material like wood, carbon fiber, etc….you are less likely to deal with that issue.
So, to get you up to date - the current match for blades are marine antenna. We’ve been cutting them and installing them for a few years here on the RPF, and the blades I’m working with are the same.

It could be that the fiberglass used at the time was more flexible, my questions still remain about the point of contact. With what we know, the grub screws are only so good lol

I honestly can say I don’t feel vibration in any of my setups. And me and my buddy were really attacking each other trying to see if we could get them to snap

I’m curious about this “internal” vibration you talk about, I remember us talking about it a few years ago

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back