ESB "Hoth scanner" prop - active project!

Just wanted to show an update of what I've created so far.

This time I've done the antenna pieces. I used the photos posted here and elsewhere on the net.

I also think, and this is only a guess, that the round multi layered black disk thing is probably a heavily hacked up "Hawker Tomtit radial engine cylinder". It's like it was cut up and flipped around and the badly glued together.

What do you think?
20210328_184306.jpg
20210328_185611.jpg

Some great input here so far, but I don't think I've seen anyone talking about the carrying strap that Han has around the scanner in the film. I, for one, will want that added to mine in order to have it look like it did in the film.

I have the 4K but I don't have a way to capture good screenshots, so these are simply taken with my phone pointed at the TV, until we have something better. Notice that when he is putting Luke inside the Tauntaun, we get one of our only views of the antenna's pushed back down.
IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg
IMG_1492.jpg
IMG_1495.jpg

Just wanted to show an update of what I've created so far.

This time I've done the antenna pieces. I used the photos posted here and elsewhere on the net.

I also think, and this is only a guess, that the round multi layered black disk thing is probably a heavily hacked up "Hawker Tomtit radial engine cylinder". It's like it was cut up and flipped around and the badly glued together.

What do you think?View attachment 1441207View attachment 1441208
Looks good. Are you scaling everything on the PL259 fitting?

I figured the black fins were just stacked washers. I think your idea has some merit for sure, but seems like the OD of it is smaller than the Tomtit part. I don't have any available to check. What is your OD of the fin part?

Looks good. Are you scaling everything on the PL259 fitting?

I figured the black fins were just stacked washers. I think your idea has some merit for sure, but seems like the OD of it is smaller than the Tomtit part. I don't have any available to check. What is your OD of the fin part?
I have no idea what OD means. ;)

I actually scaled everything from the diameter of the Antenna rod. I know those measurements, so it made sense to do it from that.

Ah nevermind lol

OD=Outer Diameter

Gees... lol

Anyhow. I do have an accurate 3d model of it, but not a physical part just yet, I will be getting one in a month or so. So I'll know for sure then.

Ah nevermind lol

OD=Outer Diameter

Gees... lol

Anyhow. I do have an accurate 3d model of it, but not a physical part just yet, I will be getting one in a month or so. So I'll know for sure then.

Yes OD is outer diameter. What did you come up with?

Also I think you should scale from the connector as well and just compare the result with the antenna scaling. Will give you two points of reference....just to be 100% sure

BTW.

I was very fortunate to be contacted from someone in this group saying that they had this dispenser and was willing to send me the measurements. And I have to tell you, I was literally 0.5mm to 2mm off on a few areas.

Totally incredible, considering I scaled my version from tiles on the wall behind the dispensers. :)

Not bad if I don't say so myself. :)

Any chance those "milky white boxes" could be a cut-up section of a coolant/brake fluid/power steering fluid/etc. reservoirs from an automobile? The lines look right and it would be easy enough to cut one up to yield a similar shape. Also jives being right next to the car antennas.

Any chance those "milky white boxes" could be a cut-up section of a coolant/brake fluid/power steering fluid/etc. reservoirs from an automobile? The lines look right and it would be easy enough to cut one up to yield a similar shape. Also jives being right next to the car antennas.

I have been trying to figure this one out for a while. My take was an old RC fuel tank since it has such an odd shape, translucent white color, and what appears to be a seam line. But although not shown in any of these photos, there is a slit in the end of the little portion at the base (opposite of the antenna). That and the side slit/cut out on top make me think it is not a reservoir; the prop guys would not have gone to the trouble to make that detail which is hardly noticeable. But, who knows.......I have been wrong before over the last 20 years with regard to props!

Yeah... I've been struggling to figure that one out too... All though I've pretty much got the correct dimensions of it, scaled from the part from the V8 Model kit that is attached to it, I can't seem to figure out what it is.

I also thought somewhat the same as you... But the part isn't really all that big.

I thought that it might be a "Float" or something like that. Most likely from a Carberator, but I can't quite find the correct on.

It is true, it does have a slit on the top back side and on the bottom right flang/point. I was thinking that those could be insert holes for the leaver mechanism. But what do I know, I'm not a machine expert. :)

But I did find a few candidates, but nothing exact.

Decent alternative if you wanted to spend less / couldn't find the proper boxes ?

Even searching for the real thing doesn't yield anything but RPF haha

529_1000___11585223716_IFSDJ0040.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back