ESB "Hoth scanner" prop - active project!

Some small progress…

F0A6DD6C-8E9B-412C-B593-FB50EB525019.jpeg8AA01359-E535-4871-BE0F-7EACC95F48B8.jpegD259FC80-EF7F-4EE1-8F6D-8ED54725867F.jpegFF201C32-FEDB-43EF-8E6E-A92C8B555727.jpeg

So cool! Thank you so much for sharing, that's the first scanner I have seen yet with my clamps on it!
Looks great Markus, looking forward to see what's next :)

Looking good Markus. What did you use for your quick disconnect bases?

So still need three parts replicated on this thing:
1. The white/transluscent plastic barrel covers
2. The metal latch/breaker mechanism
3. The black readout/frame (I believe this is plastic)

Does anyone have good photogrammetry and 3D skills to at least get drawings done? I wish I could do it, but I cannot just due to skill/knowledge. I am certainly willing to offer assistance in any other way.

I guess I could do the white boxes if you guys need and if no one else wants to take the project.
Weren't the black rectangle frames part of CantinaDude's run?

Looking good Markus. What did you use for your quick disconnect bases?

So still need three parts replicated on this thing:
1. The white/transluscent plastic barrel covers
2. The metal latch/breaker mechanism
3. The black readout/frame (I believe this is plastic)

Does anyone have good photogrammetry and 3D skills to at least get drawings done? I wish I could do it, but I cannot just due to skill/knowledge. I am certainly willing to offer assistance in any other way.

I simply used 25mm O.D. grey PVC piping, added the threaded inserts and filled all voids with Aves putty.

Cantina_Dude intended to take care of the 3D models, but since he became father -congrats again buddy!- he did not find the time to finish these yet.

I tried to draw up the white box and the readout frame myself, but I SU** at 3D modelling and am missing even basic skills :(
Willing to share the old -slightly inaccurate- models as a placeholder...

My personal opinion is the barrel covers would need to be 3D printed and then cast to get them to look right. Well beyond my skills.

Just went through my huge box of PL connectors that I found a while back at the hoarder's house I helped emptied and found 4 of the correct amphenol insides, I had no idea that those were used on the scanner before I completely re-read the thread today!
IMG_20230208_174200.jpg

does anyone have any idea what the knurled ring at the bottom is though?
I have a huge stock of those types of connectors and I found 4 different types of threaded insert that go on that end, including the ones that were initialy on the amphenols, and none of them match, even the one on the bottom right:
IMG_20230208_174244.jpg

reference (from OdiWan72) reposted for convenience:
Rebel Scanner 25.jpg

cheers

The knurled part is not a PL259 part, but we will need these made. If you need help with a drawing, this is probably something I should be able to do.

Actually, there are quite a few antenna bits that will also need to be done.

The knurled piece is a Michell Prisma turntable sweep arm nut.
Earlier Michell models used wing nuts, but the Prisma has a transparent deck so they used a fancier knurled nut.
Michell Prisma parts were new for ESB (not used in ANH). One of these nuts are on the AT-AT driver chest box, Hoth glove comlinks, and other stuff.
I can provide pics and measurements of mine.

1676149923445.png

Mid-Century-Modern-JA-Michell-Prisma-Plexiglass-Turntable-_57.jpg

that's cool lonepigeon
It would be interesting to have in basic measurements for sure in case I or anyone else wants to do those to add to the Amphenol connectors :)

speaking of amphenols, the 4 I posted above, as you could see, two of them still had the cable attached. Apparently, at least in my case, the cables were soldered to the plug! so quite difficult to remove. especially one of them on the far left in my previous photo was soldered both at the tip, but also on the 4 holes in the middle. But my wife an I managed to remove the cables and clean the solder as a small couple project tonight :)
IMG_20230213_174735.jpg

cheers

I decided to sell my scanner lot. I hope this is ok to link here!

Hi all.....FYI I posted a split plug interest thread in the Junkyard. You will need 2 for this project so please sign up...we need numbers!

Does anyone know if the “saw” looking pieces on the front have any stamping or engraving on them?

that's cool lonepigeon
It would be interesting to have in basic measurements for sure in case I or anyone else wants to do those to add to the Amphenol connectors :)

speaking of amphenols, the 4 I posted above, as you could see, two of them still had the cable attached. Apparently, at least in my case, the cables were soldered to the plug! so quite difficult to remove. especially one of them on the far left in my previous photo was soldered both at the tip, but also on the 4 holes in the middle. But my wife an I managed to remove the cables and clean the solder as a small couple project tonight :)
View attachment 1669614

cheers

*#%* When we sold my grandpa's house, he had a ton of HAM radio stuff and I know I pitched several of these! :eek:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back