ESB "Hoth scanner" prop - active project!

OdiWan72

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As many of you guys know, POSW recently posted information about the original parts used by the prop dept. to build the elusive Hoth lifeform scanner used by Han Solo in ESB...see diagram below

lonepigeon , Chris Reiff and me were lucky to track down a small number of NOS and refurbished soap dispensers, which are used for the scanners main housing. We also sourced some of the other parts to dress up the scanner, while other greeblies are still UNidentified as of yet.

This thread shall serve to share, discuss and research this iconic prop...just like the "ACTIVE PROJECTS" we had in the past.
Maybe we will be able to solve the mystery of all add-on parts.

In addition to that this thread will give you an overview of the sources for individual parts and will ask for the combined efforts of this community to make/ provide the missing details. Maybe we have members with 3D modelling skills to design some parts for us, machinists who can do small runs etc.

IMPORTANT:
This thread is NOT intended as an INT thread for any of the parts needed to build this prop!
Please follow this link: Interest - ESB Hoth scanner prop

All drawings and 3D models possibly shared within this thread are for managing a run and/ or personal use ONLY!
They are not allowed to make the individual parts commercially available!

Let the games begin :)

hoth scanner diagramm.jpg

1) Scanner body:
Vintage soap dispensers - IDENTIFIED
We´d need to discuss ways to remove the branding/ lettering on the plastic housing, when the time has come as well as ways to attach the two "halves" of the main body securely

2) Antennas:
Vintage nippon car antennas - IDENTIFIED
While the diagram only shows one specific brand/ model, there is most likely a wide range of accurate antennas, since these were made under different brands back the days. We can create a list of all close/ accurate antennas and their differences.

Since these are pretty rare and can possibly be somewhat expensive, resin casts of the antenna base will become available.

Some add-ons to the antennas are identified, some are not...more on that later within this thread

3) Red/ green switches
RS Components microswitches - IDENTIFIED
VERY hard to find, so it might be best to offer either resin casts or create drawings and have a somewhat functional replica machined/ 3D printed

A real world alternative would be the HONEYWELL Microswitches 12MA2 (red) and 12MA3 (green)...these are still available and would make a great stand in!

4) Silver discs
Vintage thermostat appliance - IDENTIFIED
tubachris85x will do a run of cold cast discs for this project

5) Aerial Plugs
Vintage AM aerial plugs - "somewhat" IDENTIFIED
The plug used on the scanner is a -even more- rare variation of the well-known plugs used on the ESB EE3, Vaders Reveal helmet etc.
I have a small number of real vintage plugs with diamond pattern on their backside, which I am going to offer.
Alternative sources have yet to be found, be it resin casts, 3D prints etc.

I think the rare plugs with the lines on the back were made by SIEMENS!

6) V8 model kit parts
All Revell V8 parts used on the scanner have been IDENTIFIED
Resin casts of the "distributor cap", "thermostat housing" and "fan hub" will become available eventually.

7) Knurled knob
Michell sweep arm cap - IDENTIFIED
For those on a budget, resin cast will become available.#

8) "Circuit breakers"
The metal "levers" attached to the scanners top - UNidentified
I have a 3D model of these, that I make available within this thread

9) Display housing/ frame
Vintage LCD (?) display - UNidentified
I have a 3D model of the actual "frame", that I make available within this thread...just add some smoked acrylic for the actual display.
Maybe we even find a way to make this somewhat functional with a real display underneath ;)

10) Large knobs on backside
Schrader quick connector - IDENTIFIED
Another hard to find piece to this puzzle, resin casts will become available.

11) Split-clamps with inserts
The origin of the clamps and inserts is still UNidentified
lonepigeon once made some very accurate drawings of the split-clamps and I have drawings of the inserts (somewhere *lol*), that we could share with the intention to have a small run done by a machinist

12) White boxes
The milky boxes, that sit aside of the antenna heads are still UNidentified
I tried to accurize the old 3D files I have for these, based on the accurate dimensions of the antenna parts, but I am not skilled enough.
We´d need someone with very good 3D modelling skills to redo this part and share it with this group.

13) Jigsaw parts (8x)
The metal "jigsaw" like parts are also still UNidentified
They are believed to be part of some vintage switches -similar to the RS microswitches used- and can also be found within the snowspeeders cockpit (have to find a pic).
Have drawings of the jigsaw parts and a 3model of the square insert, but need to resize them for printing and / or lasercutting (1mm aluminum).
Anybody up for this task?

14) …

We´ll add more information as this thread evolves.
Thanks for participating!

Markus

Last edited:
Awesome thread Markus! The second photo of the top of the scanner has two of the same D shaped pieces found on the Hoth/Sandtrooper binoculars. I’m interested in this part if it’s ever identified! Great work!

Awesome thread Markus! The second photo of the top of the scanner has two of the same D shaped pieces found on the Hoth/Sandtrooper binoculars. I’m interested in this part if it’s ever identified! Great work!

You´re talking about the split-clamps?
YEs...it would be great, if we could identify these...will post a better picture of the writing on the clamp(s). Might be helpful...

Oh wow - this is perfect timing for me! I've just started this one and have acquired the soap dispensers and was thinking to begin the rest of the bits. I'll be actively watching this thread! Thanks much for starting it!

Dan

Great project! I can contribute some 3D modeling skills, CAD drawing, and some basic metal work too. Once my soap dispensers arrive I can draw up the designs for the metal plates on the front face and we could get those laser cut from aluminum. Same for the "jigsaw" pieces. The "circuit breaker" levers could also possibly be sorted out by laser cutting the flat shapes and then bending them into their final form. Feel free to send any measurements, 3D models, or plans that already exist my way and I'll see what I can come up with!

Great project! I can contribute some 3D modeling skills, CAD drawing, and some basic metal work too. Once my soap dispensers arrive I can draw up the designs for the metal plates on the front face and we could get those laser cut from aluminum. Same for the "jigsaw" pieces. The "circuit breaker" levers could also possibly be sorted out by laser cutting the flat shapes and then bending them into their final form. Feel free to send any measurements, 3D models, or plans that already exist my way and I'll see what I can come up with!

Same here - I can do some 3D modeling where needed to help...

Dan

I FOUND IT

I never bothered saving it for some reason, and it's out there on google. Also it doesn't show as much as I thought of the puzzle piece on the right. some outlines at least, my first pic was better
HamillSnowspeeder.jpg

Thanks for the input gentlemen and thanks for the offer to support this project with your time/ efforts/ skills.

Right now I´d like to focus our efforts on the -hopeful- identification of the mystery parts.
Heading to work now, but will update this thread with a good picture of the split clamp with insert...maybe we could use our combined "google-fu" to find this sucker

Awesome thread Markus, I had this pic saved in my Clapperboard Folder, it shows the puzzle piece on the side of the seat.

1.jpg

1.jpg

This is a neat thread.

I have access to a water jet cutter for sheet stock cutting (very reasonable cost) and can do basic turning and milling myself.

If that’s of use to anyone. It seems everything is high tech now.

And is that bubble wrap glued to Mark’s seat belt above?!?

No it's space bubble wrap.

Are the "jigsaw" pieces the parts on top between the antennae?

I know I've seen those milky white pieces, or something similar, but I can't recall where.

Can you provide a height measurement of the front panel, and the back that goes against the wall?
And the width measurement of the front panel, and the back panel that goes against the wall?

I might model up the housing part.

Can you provide a height measurement of the front panel, and the back that goes against the wall?
And the width measurement of the front panel, and the back panel that goes against the wall?

I might model up the housing part.

Why...the housing is one of the few parts we actually identified and sourced a small number of

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back