ESB "Hoth scanner" prop - active project!

Does anyone know what the dimensions of this little rectangular window should be or its exactly location (distance from top/sides etc.)? I'm working on my scanner and might be ready to cut this hole...
125323990_3252712088184716_9106010821316047450_o.jpg

I wrote down what I bought in case I needed to go back to the store. Let me find that sheet for you. I can always pick some more up for you. They were slightly too long, so I’ll have to trim them to 2 nuts length for the inside plate.

I went with 1/4-20 x 1” bolts and 1/4-20 nuts.

1/4-20 x 3/4” is the length I needed but they didn’t have.
Hmmmm… in this picture it looks like these are just NUTS, with the actual screw/ bolt coming from inside the dispensers!? How else could the round recess in the „hexbolt“ be explained?

Attachments

• C8BB0E47-ECA3-4B34-A28C-2FA496AFE909.png
    C8BB0E47-ECA3-4B34-A28C-2FA496AFE909.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
With regards to the colored rectangles in the jigsaw pieces…I think I am going to use colored covers for push-buttons, similar to what was used on the imperial rank bars.

opinions?

Attachments

• 3D07AC6A-99EE-45E9-BD92-012CFB5D85CC.png
    3D07AC6A-99EE-45E9-BD92-012CFB5D85CC.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
I see what you’re saying about the recess. I’ll have to ask around. My reference of the inside shows some profiles of the bolts/nuts. The outside hex has the outer surface rounded over, but not the underside that is against the plastic. Nuts typically are rounded over on both sides unlike bolt heads. I’ll get back to you.

Last edited:
I finally started putting my scanner together last week to take it to DragonCon. I used up all the accurate bits I had on hand and it is obviously far from complete, but I wanted to use it as part of my Hoth Han costume and people seemed to really like it.

I'll post some of my in-progress photos here.

There didn't seem to be any discussion that I could find about the carrying strapping he uses in the film (maybe because that was not present in the photos of the actual prop from some years ago) so this was a temporary one from screenshots (eventually I'll make a new one with a different material, the correct two straps on the top part, etc.)

I don't think we ever get a look at that display screen in the film, so I don't know if it ever lit up or not, or what would have been on it. For now, I just threw one of those LED digital name tags in there.

So yes, lots more to do and lots of accurate parts still to add, but this MAY be the first of these scanners brought out "into the wild" for others to see and it was nice to see other fans' reactions.

P.S. the thermostat pieces are temporary 3D prints until I get a couple of real or cast ones.IMG_8830.jpgIMG_8831.jpgIMG_8957.jpgIMG_8962.jpgIMG_4983.jpgIMG_4985.jpgIMG_5110.jpgIMG_5112.jpg

Inspiration! Great job guys, sure takes a lot of stones to start this build. I agree about the 'bolt' recess; always thought the bolt went through from the inside and those were nuts on the outside that we can see.

With regards to the colored rectangles in the jigsaw pieces…I think I am going to use colored covers for push-buttons, similar to what was used on the imperial rank bars.

opinions?
Maybe? Except the push buttons for the rank bars are smooth and in some of the photos of those colored squares on the scanner I'm seeing grooves/ridges. Are there some small buttons like this that are textured in that way?

Maybe? Except the push buttons for the rank bars are smooth and in some of the photos of those colored squares on the scanner I'm seeing grooves/ridges. Are there some small buttons like this that are textured in that way?
That´s what I need to figure out.
I am sure there are quite a few variation of lense covers with "textured" insides...think of the RS pushbutton found on various blasters, that has the diamond pattern. It´s just another idea I want to consider...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back