Erm hi guys, im new and need some help!

lolzprox

Hi guys, i just joined the forum like today, and im having some questions about building of iron man suit.

Basically, i made iron man mark VI suit out of foam, including the helmet, and it is also my very first suit, results are fine, just that it wasn't up to the expectations i had for it, especially the durability and the shape of the helmet:unsure.

Now i'm thinking of using the normal pep method to make a new suit, preferably the helmet first, but my biggest problem im facing is that, i live in Singapore, and this country don't sell Fiberglass, Resin and Bondo! Any substitution for these three items? Please, and suggestions are appreciated :lol.

Or if there are alternative methods which still give a rather good product in the end, that is also really appreciated.

THANKS! :lol Hope someone will help me asap... :unsure

Erm, papermache, not very sure what's that though. /: are you refering to the method which i use lots of whiteglue and paper strips to make a thick layer of paper? If it's really that method, am i actually able to smoothen the edges and stuff and make it look like those resin-type ones?

No fiberglass or resin in Singapore :confused

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Singapore Fiberglass Suppliers, Fiberglass Suppliers from Singapore Suppliers on Alibaba.com

Suppliers of Fiberglass from Singapore | Exporters of Fiberglass from Singapore | Sellers of Fiberglass from Singapore | Fiberglass Supplies from Singapore

Fibreglass Moulding Raw Materials in Singapore

Those are just the first 3 off-hand with a quick search for fiberglass.

I think you should try looking a little more.

Welcome to the RPF BTW ... so long as this doesn't turn into another advacned action suit thread :lol

Last edited:
Erm, papermache, not very sure what's that though. /: are you refering to the method which i use lots of whiteglue and paper strips to make a thick layer of paper? If it's really that method, am i actually able to smoothen the edges and stuff and make it look like those resin-type ones?

Yes it the same thing that you make from white glue, you can also use Wallpaper paste.

No fiberglass or resin in Singapore :confused

Could just be that he has hard time to find the name for them in singapore..
I know that i had a little hard time to find what the equivalent for BONDO was in the swedish stores... Then for fiberglass, I checked the boat sections in stores and found both the glass and resin.

Wow, thanks guys, as for bondo, is there any substitute for it? Provided im really able to get some fiber glass and, oh is there like a specific resin i must use it with the fiberglass?

Wow, thanks guys, as for bondo, is there any substitute for it? Provided im really able to get some fiber glass and, oh is there like a specific resin i must use it with the fiberglass?

Fiberglass resin is fiberglass resin, brand is not dependent. You can find it in boat and auto stores.

Bondo Body filler is just a brand of automotive body filler and can be found in the auto section of your superstore or at an auto repair store. Other brands can be used as well.

Fiberglass resin is fiberglass resin, brand is not dependent. You can find it in boat and auto stores.

Well... mostly ;) IME some brands are gonna be more brittle and/or annoying to work with than others.

If you can, lolzprox, see if you can do an online order of Aqua Resin. It's not all that expensive, and their fiberglass fill for mixing in the resin is very good. A real world comparison I have involves drilling. I made an Iron Man Helm using Aqua Resin, I made a Cap Shield with auto-store fiberglass resin.
I drilled through the helm with No problems what so ever.
I drilled through the shield and it started to crack in half.

Last edited:
o_O hmm... Well currently im quite limited, how much does it roughly cost for aqua resin? Besides my country, Singapore, is a little.. Troublesome. Another question, if applied the resin and stuff, how do i actually make it really smooth and rounded? Just by normal sanding? Or i must coat it with some kind of body filler?

You can sand the resin just fine. The body filler is just another type of resin. The main purpose of it is to fill in areas that need it.
Sometimes with Pepakura builds you'll have uneven areas. Places where the resin, or even the clear coat caused the paper to buckle or dip. Rather than sanding right down through the paper, you can use the body filler to build it up.

After that you just sand. Rough to get the nasty bits even, and progress to higher grit sandpaper as you go. If you can find it Sandable, or Self-Filling Primer spray paint is a very good way to fill in the tiny holes you might get as well as a good coat to sand with the higher grit paper to get a good smooth sheen.

Here's an example of what I was talking about with the uneven areas.

31845_396201633258_544668258_3941130_1939022_n.jpg

As for Aqua Resin, since its non-toxic I don't think importing it would be too much of an issue, but understandably I've even had trouble with getting resin from overseas here in the USA.
Here's the link for their list of Distributors.
http://www.aquaresin.com/distributors.html

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back