Episode 7 F-11D Blaster Rifle (COMPLETE)

JJ Griffin

Sr Member
***UPDATE***

Construction is complete. Here's a video overview:

So I've been in love with the new blasters since the teaser trailer last year... I'm a total newbie when it comes to Star Wars costuming but I figured I'd go ahead and get the gun modeled, 3D printed, and most likely mold and cast it as a kit, since I intend to cosplay Trooper Finn in the future anyway...

View attachment DSC00577.jpg

It certainly seems like a natural evolution of the E-11. At first I thought it used the same base (the revered Sterling) but the base parts seem to be different enough that I feel it's best to just model based off the ones we have seen in the trailers/Celebration displays.

I'm a sucker for "functioning" props so I'd like to include some moving parts. Currently we are thinking unfolding stock, removable magazine, rotating scope knob, working flashlight, and of course the red side-light. I know the E-11/Sterling has a folding stock but the one here seems to work less like the "triangle butt" of the older models and more like a SPAS-12 (although obviously it's slung under the new blaster as opposed to mounted on top).

images (5).jpg

I've been told some SMGs allow the "butt" of the folding stock to be folded down and used as a foregrip while the stock is still slung under the weapon so we may include that feature as well.

We will most likely be doing this variant as well (which we've lovingly dubbed the "SOCOM" given its similarities to the M4). Just a bit worried about what it might look like on the other side, although in the meantime we'll probably just make it look the same as the white/black blasters.
6V3rzJe.png

Anywho, that is all for now. If anyone has any requests for features, feedback, or analysis/observation they would like to leave it would be super-appreciated as, again, we are new to Star Wars costuming and prop-building :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ep 7 Stormtrooper New Blaster Build (Pic Heavy)

If you look at the still of all the troopers turning, with the podium in the back, you can see a TON of different troopers.

One seems to be a regular trooper, with a vest holding more pouches on the front. This trooper is holding the blaster with the 2 butt stocks.

If you look at the still of all the troopers turning, with the podium in the back, you can see a TON of different troopers.

One seems to be a regular trooper, with a vest holding more pouches on the front. This trooper is holding the blaster with the 2 butt stocks.

There's one with TWO butt stocks now?!

Yup.

The chrome trooper in the still you posted is holding it.

The folding stock is folded under and the AR style butt stock is attached.

Ohhh, heh, you mean the "SOCOM" one :p I guess since that trooper is wearing a tactical vest that makes the name even more appropriate, lol.

Beat me to it, I was about to post that they've IDd the stock over at The Firearms Blog.

Edit: I just check out ATI's website to see if I couldn't figure which model of stock it was and I came up short, I couldn't find an exact match, it seems that they've changed their designs since the one shown was made. All I can say for sure is that it has a cheek comb and an added recoil pad, probably from ATI as well. I'm guessing that this an older model so it's going to require some searching to find depending on just how old it is.

Last edited:

stock.JPGI have almost the same stock on my shotgun at work... they are cheap. (or were :lolcheap...)

After digging a little deeper into ATI's site I think I've found the stock, it's their Rossi adjustable shotforce stock, you just need to add the cheekcomb and recoil pad.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/rossi-shotforce-collapsible-stock

This is the cheekcomb/rest.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/shotforce-adjustable-cheekrest

The recoil pad seems to be ATI's Razorback Recoilpad, I don't know if it's compatible with the Shockforce but my guess is that it is since we obviously see it onscreen and on ATI's own website they show it mounted on a Shockforce stock.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactlite-scorpion-x2-upgrade-kit

After digging a little deeper into ATI's site I think I've found the stock, it's their Rossi adjustable shotforce stock, you just need to add the cheekcomb and recoil pad.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/rossi-shotforce-collapsible-stock

This is the cheekcomb/rest.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/shotforce-adjustable-cheekrest

The recoil pad seems to be ATI's Razorback Recoilpad, I don't know if it's compatible with the Shockforce but my guess is that it is since we obviously see it onscreen and on ATI's own website they show it mounted on a Shockforce stock.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactlite-scorpion-x2-upgrade-kit

Excellent work... What do you all think? Should we purchase these exact items to use for the mold? Or 3D print replicas based off various images? The good thing about doing them ourselves is we could swap out the ATI logos for First Order insignias...

Excellent work... What do you all think? Should we purchase these exact items to use for the mold? Or 3D print replicas based off various images? The good thing about doing them ourselves is we could swap out the ATI logos for First Order insignias...

But wouldn't adding the First Order logo make it no longer canon, good heavens man, what would the 501st think about that??? That would be blasphemous to make something so idealized, we can't have any of that sort of talk now.

In all seriousness, I think that making at least the base stock itself so it can have the First Order insignia on it would be cool but would either casting it or 3D printing it be a) as cost effective as just buying the actual stock and b) would it be sturdy enough for trooping? If a group order and bulk discount could be arranged what would be good would to then buy the stocks, remove the ATI logo and replace with a 3D printed First Order "medallion" that would go in its place. Just so it's clear, I'm only talking about the base stock itself, I can't think of any compelling reason to recreate the cheek rest and recoil pad since it would probably be cheaper just to buy the real deal unless they can be made for a lot cheaper.

It's probably about the same price to get it modeled and print it as it is to buy all the pieces (they're almost $100 shipped, after all)... Either way the ATI logo is not "canon", so modeling it ourselves saves us from needing to remove it manually and risk damaging the stock. I actually like your First Order "medallion" idea, if you don't mind we'll probably implement that. :) Either way, the kits and finished versions of these two blasters will be resin casts (or rubber in the case of the recoilpad) which should be sturdy enough for trooping.

I think what we may do is purchase the "actual" items, remove or cover the ATI portions, and use them in the Master, just to make sure we're being as accurate as possible.

Sounds cool although I'm not sure that the ATI logo is not technically canon, although the pics are too dark and small to tell whether the screen used stock has the logo I do know that they no longer have the white ATI logo shown in the example pic, they've since gone to an all black logo that looks to be molded into the stock. Since it would be pretty hard to see the logo on screen JJ & crew may not have taken the time to cover up or otherwise remove the logo in which case it would technically make it canon. Regardless, I like the idea of removing the logo and replacing it with the First Order insignia, feel free to use my medallion idea.

While on the subject of a First Order medallion for the stocks, you could also print up a bunch of them and sell them attached to a chain as an actual medallion for either as a separate item or included with every stock or gun order. If you printed them out in metal I think they would sell fairly well, esp. if it was painted (or Cerakoted) in a nice glossy black and on a nice beaded chain like they use for dog tags.

Sounds cool although I'm not sure that the ATI logo is not technically canon, although the pics are too dark and small to tell whether the screen used stock has the logo I do know that they no longer have the white ATI logo shown in the example pic, they've since gone to an all black logo that looks to be molded into the stock. Since it would be pretty hard to see the logo on screen JJ & crew may not have taken the time to cover up or otherwise remove the logo in which case it would technically make it canon. Regardless, I like the idea of removing the logo and replacing it with the First Order insignia, feel free to use my medallion idea.

While on the subject of a First Order medallion for the stocks, you could also print up a bunch of them and sell them attached to a chain as an actual medallion for either as a separate item or included with every stock or gun order. If you printed them out in metal I think they would sell fairly well, esp. if it was painted (or Cerakoted) in a nice glossy black and on a nice beaded chain like they use for dog tags.

Excellent idea! You are practically doing all the work for us, haha. We may have to pay your royalties if this keeps up.

If the logo is black then we will probably just cast it "as-is" for the sake of accuracy; buyers can fill the logo in with spot putty if they wish or use one of our First Order medallions to completely cover it. How does that sound?

@Riceball, am I correct in assuming that probably any of the ATI stocks would work, and it's really the recoilpad and cheekrest that are the important parts? What makes you believe it is specifically the Shotforce?

EDIT: Derp, I see now. It's specifically the Rossi gear used on the movie prop, of which the Shotforce is the name for the various attachments. Got it.

From the pictures it looks like they at least used the original Sterling clip and possibly the Hengstler counter.

After speaking with Art, the ones issued by ANOVOS as celebration are "dummy" casts with no moving parts. Not sure if I should just make it a single static hunk of resin, or try for the folding stock/internal LEDs/removable clip. What do you all think?

Keep in mind, while the stock is very obviously modeled off the ATI parts, it is most likely just that... modeled. If you were to try to replicate the stock, ATI is a good starting point, but I don't think they actually used the found parts.

Keep in mind, while the stock is very obviously modeled off the ATI parts, it is most likely just that... modeled. If you were to try to replicate the stock, ATI is a good starting point, but I don't think they actually used the found parts.

Yeah, I went ahead and bought the cheekrest off Amazon... can't decided on the Recoilpad (cheap) or the Stock (expensive, as I don't need the fore end). It certainly looks identical (minus the logos); all the grooves and slits are in the right orientation and place and everything. Phasma's doesn't seem to have the adjustible stock trigger, and I believe the cheekrest may be more angular/cornered as it reaches the top of the stock, but that also may just be the lighting.

rossi compare.png

So yeah... it's similar... but hard to tell if they bought one and modded it in the prop department, or just bought one, modeled their own, and then 3D printing/custom-fabbed it. I'll probably go ahead and bite the bullet if for nothing more than to get a better idea of size/dimensions.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back