Episode 7 F-11D Blaster Rifle (COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by JJ Griffin, Apr 17, 2015.

1. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

***UPDATE***

Construction is complete. Here's a video overview:

So I've been in love with the new blasters since the teaser trailer last year... I'm a total newbie when it comes to Star Wars costuming but I figured I'd go ahead and get the gun modeled, 3D printed, and most likely mold and cast it as a kit, since I intend to cosplay Trooper Finn in the future anyway...

View attachment DSC00577.jpg

It certainly seems like a natural evolution of the E-11. At first I thought it used the same base (the revered Sterling) but the base parts seem to be different enough that I feel it's best to just model based off the ones we have seen in the trailers/Celebration displays.

I'm a sucker for "functioning" props so I'd like to include some moving parts. Currently we are thinking unfolding stock, removable magazine, rotating scope knob, working flashlight, and of course the red side-light. I know the E-11/Sterling has a folding stock but the one here seems to work less like the "triangle butt" of the older models and more like a SPAS-12 (although obviously it's slung under the new blaster as opposed to mounted on top).

images (5).jpg

I've been told some SMGs allow the "butt" of the folding stock to be folded down and used as a foregrip while the stock is still slung under the weapon so we may include that feature as well.

We will most likely be doing this variant as well (which we've lovingly dubbed the "SOCOM" given its similarities to the M4). Just a bit worried about what it might look like on the other side, although in the meantime we'll probably just make it look the same as the white/black blasters.
    6V3rzJe.png

Anywho, that is all for now. If anyone has any requests for features, feedback, or analysis/observation they would like to leave it would be super-appreciated as, again, we are new to Star Wars costuming and prop-building :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    mugatu, TheWolfofBees and Stardog22 like this.
  2. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

Re: Ep 7 Stormtrooper New Blaster Build (Pic Heavy)

If you look at the still of all the troopers turning, with the podium in the back, you can see a TON of different troopers.

One seems to be a regular trooper, with a vest holding more pouches on the front. This trooper is holding the blaster with the 2 butt stocks.

3. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

There's one with TWO butt stocks now?!

4. RexKramer

Yup.

The chrome trooper in the still you posted is holding it.

The folding stock is folded under and the AR style butt stock is attached.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  5. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Ohhh, heh, you mean the "SOCOM" one :p I guess since that trooper is wearing a tactical vest that makes the name even more appropriate, lol.

6. bwingpilot

bwingpilot Active Member

ATI-stock_zpsppj0vpom.jpg

Dart, Riceball and JJ Griffin like this.
  7. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Holy cow... great catch.

8. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Beat me to it, I was about to post that they've IDd the stock over at The Firearms Blog.

Edit: I just check out ATI's website to see if I couldn't figure which model of stock it was and I came up short, I couldn't find an exact match, it seems that they've changed their designs since the one shown was made. All I can say for sure is that it has a cheek comb and an added recoil pad, probably from ATI as well. I'm guessing that this an older model so it's going to require some searching to find depending on just how old it is.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  9. chizbot

chizbot Active Member

stock.JPG I have almost the same stock on my shotgun at work... they are cheap. (or were :lolcheap...)

10. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

After digging a little deeper into ATI's site I think I've found the stock, it's their Rossi adjustable shotforce stock, you just need to add the cheekcomb and recoil pad.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/rossi-shotforce-collapsible-stock

This is the cheekcomb/rest.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/shotforce-adjustable-cheekrest

The recoil pad seems to be ATI's Razorback Recoilpad, I don't know if it's compatible with the Shockforce but my guess is that it is since we obviously see it onscreen and on ATI's own website they show it mounted on a Shockforce stock.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactlite-scorpion-x2-upgrade-kit

11. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Excellent work... What do you all think? Should we purchase these exact items to use for the mold? Or 3D print replicas based off various images? The good thing about doing them ourselves is we could swap out the ATI logos for First Order insignias...

12. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

But wouldn't adding the First Order logo make it no longer canon, good heavens man, what would the 501st think about that??? That would be blasphemous to make something so idealized, we can't have any of that sort of talk now.

In all seriousness, I think that making at least the base stock itself so it can have the First Order insignia on it would be cool but would either casting it or 3D printing it be a) as cost effective as just buying the actual stock and b) would it be sturdy enough for trooping? If a group order and bulk discount could be arranged what would be good would to then buy the stocks, remove the ATI logo and replace with a 3D printed First Order "medallion" that would go in its place. Just so it's clear, I'm only talking about the base stock itself, I can't think of any compelling reason to recreate the cheek rest and recoil pad since it would probably be cheaper just to buy the real deal unless they can be made for a lot cheaper.

13. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

It's probably about the same price to get it modeled and print it as it is to buy all the pieces (they're almost $100 shipped, after all)... Either way the ATI logo is not "canon", so modeling it ourselves saves us from needing to remove it manually and risk damaging the stock. I actually like your First Order "medallion" idea, if you don't mind we'll probably implement that. :) Either way, the kits and finished versions of these two blasters will be resin casts (or rubber in the case of the recoilpad) which should be sturdy enough for trooping.

I think what we may do is purchase the "actual" items, remove or cover the ATI portions, and use them in the Master, just to make sure we're being as accurate as possible.

14. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Sounds cool although I'm not sure that the ATI logo is not technically canon, although the pics are too dark and small to tell whether the screen used stock has the logo I do know that they no longer have the white ATI logo shown in the example pic, they've since gone to an all black logo that looks to be molded into the stock. Since it would be pretty hard to see the logo on screen JJ & crew may not have taken the time to cover up or otherwise remove the logo in which case it would technically make it canon. Regardless, I like the idea of removing the logo and replacing it with the First Order insignia, feel free to use my medallion idea.

While on the subject of a First Order medallion for the stocks, you could also print up a bunch of them and sell them attached to a chain as an actual medallion for either as a separate item or included with every stock or gun order. If you printed them out in metal I think they would sell fairly well, esp. if it was painted (or Cerakoted) in a nice glossy black and on a nice beaded chain like they use for dog tags.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  15. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Excellent idea! You are practically doing all the work for us, haha. We may have to pay your royalties if this keeps up.

If the logo is black then we will probably just cast it "as-is" for the sake of accuracy; buyers can fill the logo in with spot putty if they wish or use one of our First Order medallions to completely cover it. How does that sound?

16. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

@Riceball, am I correct in assuming that probably any of the ATI stocks would work, and it's really the recoilpad and cheekrest that are the important parts? What makes you believe it is specifically the Shotforce?

EDIT: Derp, I see now. It's specifically the Rossi gear used on the movie prop, of which the Shotforce is the name for the various attachments. Got it.

17. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From the pictures it looks like they at least used the original Sterling clip and possibly the Hengstler counter.

18. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

After speaking with Art, the ones issued by ANOVOS as celebration are "dummy" casts with no moving parts. Not sure if I should just make it a single static hunk of resin, or try for the folding stock/internal LEDs/removable clip. What do you all think?

19. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Keep in mind, while the stock is very obviously modeled off the ATI parts, it is most likely just that... modeled. If you were to try to replicate the stock, ATI is a good starting point, but I don't think they actually used the found parts.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  20. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Yeah, I went ahead and bought the cheekrest off Amazon... can't decided on the Recoilpad (cheap) or the Stock (expensive, as I don't need the fore end). It certainly looks identical (minus the logos); all the grooves and slits are in the right orientation and place and everything. Phasma's doesn't seem to have the adjustible stock trigger, and I believe the cheekrest may be more angular/cornered as it reaches the top of the stock, but that also may just be the lighting.

rossi compare.png

So yeah... it's similar... but hard to tell if they bought one and modded it in the prop department, or just bought one, modeled their own, and then 3D printing/custom-fabbed it. I'll probably go ahead and bite the bullet if for nothing more than to get a better idea of size/dimensions.

21. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

My guess is the latter as so many things for the production were modeled and printed.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  22. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Yeah. In retrospect I am going to do these as a single dummy prop with no moving parts (I still might make the magazine removable and include interior space for LEDs, however). My friend in the 501st said he'd prefer no moving parts as the guns tend to get dropped and banged up during trooping and he'd rather not have to worry about something flying off or breaking. I assume the same will be true with the vast majority of troopers.

23. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

ATIQ does have two other models of stocks that are similar to the Shockforce, one's for a Remington 700(?) shotgun and another for a .22 but I don't recall the model names for either. I'll look at the ATI site again and pay links to the two other stocks.

In answer to you previous question, it's definitely a specific ATI stock as most of their stocks are quite different in appearance. Arty first I thought that it was some sort older discontinued model because when I first looked at their site all I saw were skeletonized stocks that look nothing like the one we see.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

24. RexKramer

New blasters seem to have tactical lights on the front:

[​IMG]

Notice the 2 holes on the front, a barrel and a light:

[​IMG]

25. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Yeah, it's right underneath the muzzle tip. I'm going to leave internal space there for the installation of a flashlight or LED, I think. The dumb part is they put it on the folding stock, so if you decide to actually use the stock you can no longer use the flashlight. Silly.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  26. Stormie

Stormie Well-Known Member

Wait, these guns have two stocks?

27. RexKramer

There seems to be 2 versions of the standard blaster.

Also 2 versions of the standard trooper too.

The second standard trooper seems to be a heavier version that has a vest with pouches on the front and the blaster with the AR style stock.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  28. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Hey!
    Do you think that ATI will ship this stock to Poland (where I live)?
    In Poland guns are illegal without license.
    Lordu

29. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Best to contact them and ask. It's always a toss up when you're dealing with Customs, IMO.

30. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

There's also the matter of ITAR(?) which restricts the exportation of weapons and weapons components to certain countries, so it's possible that the stock might be a restricted item. It sounds ridiculous but I've seen AR parts being on the restricted list, but since this is a shotgun stock it might not fall under ITAR. Regardless, it would be best to check with ATI & see if they're willing to shop to Poland. If they're not but it's not restricted by ITAR then try to get a friend in the US to buy it for and ship it to you.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  31. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

After doing a bit of quick browsing of ATI's website I found some other possible candidates for the stock.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/six-position-shotgun-pistol-grip-stock

http://www.atigunstocks.com/remington-7600-fixed-tactical-buttstock

http://www.atigunstocks.com/hr-nef-shotforce-collapsible-stock

http://www.atigunstocks.com/22-cal-strikeforce-stock

Those are all of the possible candidates, all of the other ATI look nothing like these, the most likely stock is the second I listed since it's non-adjustable and doesn't have that extra piece at the front-bottom of the stock which is on all of the adjustable stocks.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    JJ Griffin likes this.
  32. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

pm07 and mvanwalks421 like this.
  33. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Looks pretty good except for the adjustment knob up top, on your model it looks more like big button where as on the real thing you can clearly tell that it's a knurled knob that sits nearly flush with the base. Aside from that it looks pretty good.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  34. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. Issue is that it changes from pic to pic. The blasters on display at Celebration the knobs are flush. But in the movie they are elevated like so. Not sure which to go with. Maybe we should just make the knobs as separate pieces and let the user attach them how they wish?

ZZ4B2B082B (1).jpg

Bit more progress:
    received_10202737222631374.jpeg

35. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Interesting. In that case, I agree that offering a choice of either style might the be the way to go depending on which style is the most common. Are there more screengrabs from the trailers showing both or is the button style just a one off?

JJ Griffin likes this.
  36. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Perhaps it's threaded, so it goes up and down as it's adjusted?

JJ Griffin likes this.
  37. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Sure are. Check out the side knob:

38. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Most of the CVII ones are stunt resin casts. The trailer ones are clearly Hero, with chromed parts. I'm pretty sure they wanted the moulds to be easy and the piece connections not to be weak so they modified it for stunt purposes.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  39. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

It's either that or the dummy rifles that ANOVOS built for the Celebration troopers to walk around with are deliberately made without the "elevated pin" to minimize the chance of it breaking off when dropped.

EDit: KaanE beat me to it :) Foiled again!

40. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Looks like it can be adjusted ;) But only on Heros!

Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-057.jpg

JJ Griffin likes this.
  41. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

So is it looking like these do not have a holster? Are they sliding into a socket of some sort on the thigh armor?

42. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

There's a socket rig on the side of the thigh the blasters slot into. I'd post a pic but I'm on mobile now.

43. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

This.....

Attached Files:

Dart, mvanwalks421 and JJ Griffin like this.
  44. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Just an update as we continue to lay out the basic body shapes:

received_10202738226816478.jpeg

mvanwalks421 likes this.
  45. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Update. The grip and trigger guard is a crappy placeholder, we realize that part isn't proportionate or accurate yet. But it's beginning to look like an actual blaster!

988526_1616856661863901_766128780387940526_n.jpg

Necronaut and mvanwalks421 like this.
  46. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

That's looking awesome!

JJ Griffin likes this.
  47. gmrhodes13

gmrhodes13 New Member

Looks great so far

48. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Update!

Initial body is complete. TBH, it's kind of a mess at the moment-- the proportions are off (trigger guard way too long, grip is all wrong, etc) and there's details missing or out of place. But it's our baby, and we're going to keep working on it till we get it right :)

Also, keep in mind we are trying to match the "screen-used/Hero" rifles and not the ANOVOS replicas that some of the 501st were allowed to borrow during Celebration. There are a number of differences between the two so we're defaulting to the screen look, abd where there's missing information (due to lack of reference photos from those angles), we are "filling in the blanks" so to speak with pics of the replica ones.

Modeled by Michael Flanagan

11159097_10202744005080931_358660130_o.jpg 11100980_10202744005120932_2019361572_o.jpg 11178388_10202744004720922_1127234348_n.jpg 11119642_10202744004640920_1809173456_n.jpg 11159191_10202744004760923_1320201739_o.jpg 11181514_10202744004800924_638788918_o.jpg 11167573_10202744004920927_646382549_o.jpg 11171408_10202744004880926_1277642142_o.jpg 11179790_10202744005040930_517795722_o.jpg 11157101_10202744004960928_871561530_o.jpg

mvanwalks421 likes this.
  49. gmrhodes13

gmrhodes13 New Member

Great work

50. VegasSkywalker

VegasSkywalker Well-Known Member

that looks amazing! I cant wait to see where this goes!!