Electronic LED circuits - stupid questions

Blad

Sr Member
I'm trying to make a row of 5 LED's light up and stay on in sequence. I can make them chase and flash but I can't work out how to get the b**tard things to stay on. Searching google has just annoyed me more. I can speak English, a little French and German and I know a lot of Portugese swear words, but I cannot understand 'electronicspeak', might as well be Bajoran. :(

I'll send something nice to someone if they will build one for me, or give me instructions.

By instructions I really mean single, easy step instructions as if you were talking to a villiage idiot. :D

Thanks, Great Bizarro :)

That was one of the sites I found, I'm afraid even with a diagram I find the instructions unintelligable...... e.g.: "When power is applied, the 15K resistor and 10uF cap at pin 15 will reset the counters to the zero count where pin 3 is at +12 and all other outputs are at zero. The 2 diodes (1n914) and 15 resistor form a AND gate so the clock pulse will be passed to the right side counter when the sequence starts."

As I said - clearly Bajoran.

I need a specific function, light 5 LED's in sequence so all 5 are lit at the end.

:)

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ May 30 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1253041[/snapback]</div>
Thanks, Great Bizarro :)

That was one of the sites I found, I'm afraid even with a diagram I find the instructions unintelligable...... e.g.: "When power is applied, the 15K resistor and 10uF cap at pin 15 will reset the counters to the zero count where pin 3 is at +12 and all other outputs are at zero. The 2 diodes (1n914) and 15 resistor form a AND gate so the clock pulse will be passed to the right side counter when the sequence starts."

As I said - clearly Bajoran.

I need a specific function, light 5 LED's in sequence so all 5 are lit at the end.

:)
[/b]

LOL... I actually chuckled at the bajoran comment... lol.

I have been looking into a 6 SUPER LED set up myself. I am in the dark as it were too. I'll head over to RADIO SHACK this week and see if one of the tech guys there can help me out.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Damian

Just to make sure, you are wanting a circuit so that each LED lights up and stays on, correct? So you would have LED 1 on, then LED 1&2 on, then LED 1, 2, & 3 on, etc. Are you wanting them to cycle? In other words, what happens when all 5 are lit? Do they go back to off and start over or do they stay on?

<div class='quotetop'></div>
I'll let you know what I find out.

Damian[/b]

Thanks Damian :)

<div class='quotetop'>(WookieGunner @ May 30 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]1253316[/snapback]</div>
Just to make sure, you are wanting a circuit so that each LED lights up and stays on, correct? So you would have LED 1 on, then LED 1&2 on, then LED 1, 2, & 3 on, etc. Are you wanting them to cycle? In other words, what happens when all 5 are lit? Do they go back to off and start over or do they stay on?
[/b]

Spot on WookieGunner, once all 5 are lit they need to stay on. :) Actually I'm not sure why I've been slightly cryptic. This is for my new Lawgiver. They probably could cycle, built up to five, all stay on for 10 seconds then build up again. I assume I can run two sets of LED's from one controller?

I have the 'electrocute non-Judges' sorted with a vibrator from a razor and a bright-blue LED. I was thinking of sound, but that's not too important as it's designed to take a gas-blowback Marui Beretta anyway.

Thanks to everyone.

Anyone got any ideas? A list of parts, set of directions, instructions written on the head of a pin? :cry

This is for a Judge Dredd Lawgiver, completely new kit.......

<div class='quotetop'></div>
I'll head over to RADIO SHACK this week and see if one of the tech guys there can help me out.
[/b]

Heh, Heh, Radio Shack: motto---"You've got questions, we've got blank looks."

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ May 30 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]1253347[/snapback]</div>
Spot on WookieGunner, once all 5 are lit they need to stay on. :) Actually I'm not sure why I've been slightly cryptic. This is for my new Lawgiver. They probably could cycle, built up to five, all stay on for 10 seconds then build up again. I assume I can run two sets of LED's from one controller?

I have the 'electrocute non-Judges' sorted with a vibrator from a razor and a bright-blue LED. I was thinking of sound, but that's not too important as it's designed to take a gas-blowback Marui Beretta anyway.

Thanks to everyone.
[/b]

Sorry, didn't see the update. Give me a couple of days. Though instead of stay on for 10 then rebuild, will the trigger work? You could put a Normally Closed (NC) momentary switch between the battery and the circuit. That way press the trigger (attached to the switch) and the power gets cut, turning off the LED's and then resetting the sequence.

Off the top of my head I would say look into a Shift Register. This is a circuit that takes a clock signal and an input. When the clock goes to a specific state (don't remember high or low) then whatever is on the input is put on the output until the clock gets back to that state. If you line five of these up, give the first one a constant high input then each clock cycle the next one will go high. Hook the outputs up to LED drivers and you're all set.

Here is a page on shift registers: http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/shift-in_register.html

Here is a web page on 555 Timers that you can use to clock the Shift Register: http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/timer_555.html

Pretty much skip all the 555 stuff except the stuff next to the last circuit diagram.

Thanks for that I'll take a look :)

<div class='quotetop'>(WookieGunner @ Jun 5 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]1256695[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ May 30 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]1253347[/snapback]

Thanks to everyone.
[/b]

Sorry, didn't see the update. Give me a couple of days. Though instead of stay on for 10 then rebuild, will the trigger work? You could put a Normally Closed (NC) momentary switch between the battery and the circuit. That way press the trigger (attached to the switch) and the power gets cut, turning off the LED's and then resetting the sequence.

Off the top of my head I would say look into a Shift Register. This is a circuit that takes a clock signal and an input. When the clock goes to a specific state (don't remember high or low) then whatever is on the input is put on the output until the clock gets back to that state. If you line five of these up, give the first one a constant high input then each clock cycle the next one will go high. Hook the outputs up to LED drivers and you're all set.

Here is a page on shift registers: http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/shift-in_register.html

Here is a web page on 555 Timers that you can use to clock the Shift Register: http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/timer_555.html

Pretty much skip all the 555 stuff except the stuff next to the last circuit diagram.
[/b][/quote]

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back