EL tape info

Knowone251

Does anyone know of a site with some info on how to solder EL tape? I have been looking all day and cant seem to come up with one. Ive worked with EL wire and am looking to move into useing tape, but I just want an idea of what I am getting into before I go and order a whole bunch. And speaking of ordering, which suppliers are people useing? Im looking to get it at least 2in thick. Thanks for the help. I hate these kinds of posts, but Im at my wits end right now.

as timeconsuming as it may be reading through the tron legacy costume planning thread seriously has an overflow of good information if you can skim through the 50+ pages.

I'm in the same boat (knowone and I are working together on this) I sifted through that main post and there's a ton about EL wire but not tape, the tape posts are vague and it's hard to find info on the net, so any info on this would be helpful. It also might be nice to have a separate post on this so you don't have to go through 80 pages every time you need to look for a reference.

I'm in the same boat (knowone and I are working together on this) I sifted through that main post and there's a ton about EL wire but not tape, the tape posts are vague and it's hard to find info on the net, so any info on this would be helpful. It also might be nice to have a separate post on this so you don't have to go through 80 pages every time you need to look for a reference.

I posted separately asking about EL tape too, even after going through the full thread, as I couldn't quite find answers to questions on pricing and where to obtain quantity of it.

Tim

I posted separately asking about EL tape too, even after going through the full thread, as I couldn't quite find answers to questions on pricing and where to obtain quantity of it.

Tim

Ok good, well not good you couldn't find anything, but I was beginning to think I was seriously over-looking something when everyone keeps telling me to look at the main thread, because trust me I DID, I went through ALL the pages many more times than I want to admit right now, haha :lol

But I'm really having a hard time wrapping my mind around this.:cry
Help!! Quorra 2.0 needs to be finished soon and I'm so excited to start, I learned a lot from the first one and can't wait to see how this one turns out!

If I remember correctly (and I may not) you use those black clip things on the end and they have little pins that puncture the tape and make the connection... Like ikea lamps.

If that is right, it would explain why searching for soldering it yields no results.

But I may be wrong.

I've been looking everywhere for information on how to work with EL tape, but I really haven't found much. I know some people use some crimp-on connectors, copper tape, or screws I guess from what I've read in the Tron forum, but I don't know where I'd get any of these crimp on connectors as I've looked everywhere. From the Light Tape tutorial videos, I saw they have these clips that pierce through the lamination and make contact which is pretty much what I need, but I can't find anywhere that sells anything like it. I checked out allelectronics.com and they have the EL power kit for $2 per, but that's the closest I've seen, so if anyone knows where to buy this stuff that would be amazing. Copper tape I have found easy enough, but I've tried stripping the lamination with a razor and an exacto knife and it isn't the easiest stuff to strip and often I've gone too deep and took off too much. I've searched through thousands of results for crimp connectors, but maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing idk. Thanks a lot for any help and hopefully this thread can really help a bunch of people, I know I haven't been able to find a ton of info on the tape, mainly just the EL wire.

The guys over at GlowHut (Home) are absolutely the best. I emailed them and asked a few questions and got replies within 5 minutes!! Their tape is bright and you are able to cut it to length, cut designs into it and/or fold it on itself (it has precut marks on it)

Trying to make my first Tron Legacy Halloween outfit was difficult to get information on EL Tape (as you all are finding..as wire seems to dominate)..but they helped out..a lot.

You can solder EL tape by peeling back the edge to expose the two copper wires. You can solder on to the copper wire. One will be positive and one is negative. You can have custom EL tape sizes made for you here: Lightkraft.etsy.com Cheers!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back