eFX ESB X-wing helmet... Signature plaque issue - FIXED Rebelscum is the MAN!

luke moonwalker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been wanting an eFX X-wing helmet for a while, but had missed the ESB version at Celebration V. I luckily just scored a deal for one complete at about $80 less than the original retail and jumped on it.

When everything arrived, it was in great shape except the serial number on the signature plaque. It's number 029 and the 9 was very badly faded (but still semi-there). I swiped across the plaque gently with my finger and most of the 2 came off along with what was left of the 9! Doh! Everything else on the plaque was fine, there were no solvents or anything... and my hands were washed (understanding there are still oils, but c'mon!) :)

Some light swabs with a dry Q-tip (I mean absolutely ZERO pressure) and the numbers came right off. Everything else on the plaque is fine and holds up to the touch. When holding the plaque at an angle it looks like the serial number portion is raised and printed on the surface more than the rest of the plaque. I'm assuming the serial numbers were separately printed after the rest of the plaque may have been screenprinted (since everything but the serial number is identical from plaque to plaque).

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how these were made/why this would happen and advice on what to do... also if this happend to anyone else? I haven't taken the "0" off, but know it would go as easy. Thinking my options are:

1. Leave the 0 out of 250 and ignore it
2. Remove the 0 and leave the serial number field blank
3. Option 2, then try and somehow recreate the number (printing? Vinyl? Sharpie on a small sticker?)

Thoughts? Thanks for any help :thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: eFX ESB X-wing helmet... Signature plaque question/issue

Take it to an engraver and have it done professionally. They may even have a choice for black letters, or else, take your sharpie to the engraving and then rub off the excess. Shouldn't be expensive for an engraver.

I should think eFX could help you replace that. It would definitely be considered damaged. Certainly not your fault. Contact Bryan.

I guess I'd recommend against sending it back to efx and try the professional engraver route. I had a double signature plaque for the BSG viper helmet that was missing the Dirk Benedict signature. They told me to send it back, so I did. That was around 3 months ago and I've heard nothing back from them. If you can have something done locally, I'd do that. The signature is good, which is the important thing. If you send it back, you runs the risk of not seeing it again.

Both great suggestions. Engraving could look good if it's done right. I just worry about leaving it up to someone else and damaging the plaque. Or being nitpicky up front only to have them use a font that's no where near how an original looked (of course neither would a blank plaque or sharpie, lol). I may try and reach out to Bryan. Couldn't hurt but I think it will be fruitless as I bought this second hand. Plus I believe the paperwork inside said they had a 30 day warranty period. Worth a shot though. Thanks again. :thumbsup

I can probably laser mark it in black and that won't come off. Send me a PM and I'll discuss it with you.

That would be amazing Philip! Plus I trust you a lot more than the local engravers, lol. PM coming and thanks again everybody :thumbsup

UPDATE:

I have to send enormous thanks to Philip Wise for his help on this one. Not only did he offer to help a fellow collector in need... he even went so far as to find out what font eFX used so it would be a perfect match! (Thanks to Bryan for his help with that as well :thumbsup)

The 029 is now back! The laser marking is clean, clear, and not going anywhere :)

Can't thank you enough for the save!

plaque029.jpg

UPDATE:

I have to send enormous thanks to Philip Wise for his help on this one. Not only did he offer to help a fellow collector in need... he even went so far as to find out what font eFX used so it would be a perfect match! (Thanks to Bryan for his help with that as well :thumbsup)

The 029 is now back! The laser marking is clean, clear, and not going anywhere :)

Can't thank you enough for the save!

I'm glad it worked out. It was nice of Bryan to supply the file needed.

I know its been close to two years since this occurred, but I need some help with my plaque as well. I was able to get this helmet at a reasonable price two weeks ago, but when i went to (very carefully) wipe the smudges off the plaque the numbers fell right off. Any chance your services are still available Rebelscum?
WP_20140712_002.jpg

I know its been close to two years since this occurred, but I need some help with my plaque as well. I was able to get this helmet at a reasonable price two weeks ago, but when i went to (very carefully) wipe the smudges off the plaque the numbers fell right off. Any chance your services are still available Rebelscum?
View attachment 348245

sure, email me at my address below.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back