Edge of Tomorrow Helmets

I just got the flip down visor version aaannndddd it is not correct. This is the third one I have bought to be disappointed. The back neck line has a curve, whereas the screen used version I am working from does not.

I just got the flip down visor version aaannndddd it is not correct. This is the third one I have bought to be disappointed. The back neck line has a curve, whereas the screen used version I am working from does not.

I came across this today, the back of the dog soldier's helmet shows quite a bit more curve than the usual helmets unless it's just the angle. It seems its ok to have a bit of a curve in there.

Edit - I'm putting together a somewhat accurate replica of the standard helmet, I should be able to get pics in the next couple of days. I'm not too fussed on getting every detail accurate since they seem to vary a lot between characters and even takes.

curve.png

Last edited:
Here it is, my version of Cage’s helmet. There’s still a bit to do and not all the pieces are ideal but I’d say it’s a good attempt.

The helmet base is an Emerson airsoft helmet with the Velcro and elastic taken off. The shell is a lot thinner than the film one but it’s a good cheap helmet. It’s got a bit of a curve on the neck area but it’s not too bad.

The side covers don’t have the small lever on the back for the rail but that’s something I’m willing to live with. I cut and glued foam pads onto the inside to match the shots of the film but these are missing in the prop store listing. I don’t remember the brand of the covers but they were the cheapest I could get. They had to be forced to get on and I shimmed them in the end so their angle wouldn’t be as flared outwards. I also painted some of the foam inside so it doesn’t look as much like a cycle helmet on the inside. The covers are also thinner than the film version but they’re cheap and a good copy.

The light on the side is a Chinese Princeton replica called NEO. It’s nearly identical and came with the correct rail mount for this helmet. The led is green and not white when it shines but I don’t mind.

The small brow piece was made out of layers of plasticard glued together and then cut and sanded it to the right shape (close enough) I then drilled holes into it and screwed small hex screws through it and into the helmet. I then painted it black and that’s it finished. You can see a photo of it unpainted at the end.

I still need to find something for the visor.

The paint job is really simple, it’s white black and yellow paint mixed into a pale beige and watered down then painted everywhere and smoothed over with a rag after it dried. I then beat it up with some tools and dusted it with some plaster that I found. The dust made it look really realistic.

The strap needs to be modified to be accurate but I might not bother since it’s pretty close.

I think that’s everything, I’m so happy with how it looks.

Helmet:

Covers:

Light:

The primary reference I used for the paint was this propstore listing of Bill Cage's helmet: EDGE OF TOMORROW - Major Bill Cage's (Tom Cruise) Helmet

58E58271-18A0-41D5-A4C1-EE49E88CDC63.jpeg
EB341447-A8D2-44F2-9D5A-AA88FAA4A516.jpeg
8581D23A-558A-4788-8F6D-CC570A6E54B4.jpeg
DDE00F93-F641-494D-8C17-16C1A93C618F.jpeg
A5505607-B1C2-4DE4-A77B-9D2D9963F884.jpeg
FBCE019F-0EB6-4C68-9A76-68A367DA76A5.jpeg
A260D0F4-F25F-4F8A-AD11-30C477AD86B1.jpeg
161E196F-89F8-44F8-813E-17CC77C99182.jpeg

0283CFCD-7C1D-4EC6-AA63-BEF7C70D0EAF.jpeg

Attachments

• 93D0DE37-673B-42CC-8DF6-16943ED2D0AC.jpeg
    93D0DE37-673B-42CC-8DF6-16943ED2D0AC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
So over the course of diggin up the found parts, I was able to determine that the side cheek protectors were from OPS CORE, but seemed to be no longer made and no longer available anywhere. At that time I searched and searched to no avail. But with the recent thread updates I thought I would look again. I finally found a place that had the correct versions so I bought a pair. Crazy money but I thought this might be my only chance to have them. For those interested: Ops-Core Up-Armor Side Covers Ballistic - Slim Profile (R)

So everything but the base helmet is identified.
IMG_0368.jpg
IMG_0369.jpg

Did you find the visor the straight cut ? seems to be what they used not the ones you typically see with the curve for the nose .I actually won a couple of props from the movie recently nothing big but still pretty cool .

I looked and looked but didnt see the visor. I figured they made it for the movie. I have a thermo former so can whip something up for it.

So over the course of diggin up the found parts, I was able to determine that the side cheek protectors were from OPS CORE, but seemed to be no longer made and no longer available anywhere. At that time I searched and searched to no avail. But with the recent thread updates I thought I would look again. I finally found a place that had the correct versions so I bought a pair. Crazy money but I thought this might be my only chance to have them. For those interested: Ops-Core Up-Armor Side Covers Ballistic - Slim Profile (R)

So everything but the base helmet is identified.
View attachment 1570161View attachment 1570160
This is awesome! A great step towards making a perfect replica. I’m going to modify my side protectors to get some extra thickness so that they are closer to these. I may need to bend them as well to change the angle. I have another set from China which could be closer.

A lot of the prop store helmets have broken side covers, perhaps they used weak resin copies since the process to attach them does put them under a lot of tension. I will find the one clip where it actually wobbles and looks like it’s about to fall off on Tom cruise’s helmet. If you’re tempted to replicate the damage on the source, I would avoid it because I think it might be unintentional.

Additional good news on my end is that my light is the same as the one on the propstore. The Princeton switch.
I would think they did a resin copy as to buy that many real ones... seems like a hell of a waste of money. But that is just me:)

Prop store has updated a sold listing which has a lot of really good helmet pictures here EDGE OF TOMORROW - EXO Suit Helmet The helmet was sold a while ago but viewing the pictures would give 404 until today.

From what I can see all of the helmets sold on prop store use resin copied side covers and rails! The night vision mount is also a resin copy from an ops core helmet. From what it looks like the side covers are a single piece maybe cast as one with the rails. I think the helmet itself is a resin copy of ops core too. I highlighted on some pictures a lot of flaws showing the cast construction. The copied side covers look very fragile as every one listed has some structural damage of some kind. The covers you bought look identical to these originals exept they are the real deal. I'm not sure what much we can learn from this but I found it interesting.

resin bubbles.png

2.png

3.png

Prop store has updated a sold listing which has a lot of really good helmet pictures here EDGE OF TOMORROW - EXO Suit Helmet The helmet was sold a while ago but viewing the pictures would give 404 until today.

From what I can see all of the helmets sold on prop store use resin copied side covers and rails! The night vision mount is also a resin copy from an ops core helmet. From what it looks like the side covers are a single piece maybe cast as one with the rails. I think the helmet itself is a resin copy of ops core too. I highlighted on some pictures a lot of flaws showing the cast construction. The copied side covers look very fragile as every one listed has some structural damage of some kind. The covers you bought look identical to these originals exept they are the real deal. I'm not sure what much we can learn from this but I found it interesting.

View attachment 1571775

View attachment 1571776
View attachment 1571777
Did you finish yours ?

Did you finish yours ?
As of now I would say it’s 95% complete. The only things I need to do is look for a visor and re-sew the chin strap. The helmet shell thickness is something I might not bother with since it’s not too noticeable. Here’s some photos of the recent work, I’ve added foam pieces to the inside of the side covers so that they look as thick as the real ones. It’s looking a lot more accurate now.

21AE9072-373F-40D1-AA52-9A2BC1EC35E8.jpeg

8206F942-CD87-45D1-A297-3BD3CDFAD9C5.jpeg

8030998C-9FDF-4DC3-9476-084B84A38763.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back