Ed209 Foam build costume

Tommyfilth

So far I've gotten to about the 70% mark with this build. I've been flattening a 3d model I found and creating my own templates, I've also created some tools and working procedures that I will share later on after "Robocop The Musical" is up and running. This will be the third time we have mounted this show in the Detroit area and this year is bigger and better. I'll post more if I get a chance but after Feb 19th (our opening) I'll have gads more free time and should be able to chronicle some of what I've done.

Over all it'll end up being just over 6 and a half feet tall.

Here is a teaser of the size with my 4 year old.
Ed feet.jpg

Each of the lower legs and feet weigh in around 3lbs, so the total suit should be around 25lbs total, then add 10lbs of sound equipment. not too shabby.
I'm also developing an app and controller for onboard sound effects that are linked to the feet for walking and buttons in the cockpit for sound cues and other effects.
Back to work, Lots more to finish.

'Robocop the Musical' with a full scale ED209 ... now there's a event worth going to see ... and in Detroit no less ... home of the first movie. Since I won't be able to attend being from the Netherlands ... please post lots of pictures, okay?

Chaim

The show is great fun, I did all the props and costumes for it in the last run of the show a couple of years ago, for very low budget and very little time, so some of it shows, but this time out I started early and the venue is bigger and we expect a larger turnout so everything is bigger and better this time around.
robocop poster 2015 small.jpg

Last edited:
To switch gears a little, I worked on the Robocop Shoes based on the Pep File provided by laellee. I made some changes to the templates and fused some of them to simplify construction, I'll add some of the details back in with scoring/heating, but here is a prototype shoe. I added the swoosh because the actor playing Robocop is a sneaker-head and I knew it would make his day.
10689649_10153131132861392_8329869198545990496_n.jpg10348600_10153131132816392_8507715088970582557_n.jpg

And a little bit of the 209 costumeImageUploadedByTapatalk1422572507.805765.jpg
Here is the main body with the cardboard template for the dome in place
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422572549.935188.jpg
The thing was lined with fiberglass rods that I got glued into a grid and this is what will support the fabric.

And a shot of the elbow. Originally I was going to articulate the arms and had a working elbow, but for the time I have I decided to fix these ones and I can replace them at a later time if I feel the need. I had to redesign the contact point for the arms too making a "mannequin" type of shoulder joint of a square pin and socket to keep the arms from rotating down due to gravity. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422572773.689344.jpg

10689649_10153131132861392_8329869198545990496_n.jpg

10348600_10153131132816392_8507715088970582557_n.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422572507.805765.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422572549.935188.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422572773.689344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
good god your gonna make me cry like a little b...BASKET WEAVER!! ha! got you all!! seriously tho... IVE GOT MY GOOD EYE ON THIS!! keep posting brotha!! :thumbsup

Band Saw for sure, I've been shopping for one for ages and found an old one locally. I've found the best way for cutting any of the foam from patterns is to layer the pieces (if I need multiples) with a light misting of super 77 in between and lay the paper pattern on top, I then mist spray paint to "trace" the pattern on the foam and cut out as many layers as I need all in one go, this makes all the pieces uniform and with straight 90 degree edges. The ridging from the blade is more visible than tangible, so I think they'll go away with some paint. the edges for most parts are glued together so you never see the cutlines. I end up cutting a large amount of pieces in one go and then spending the next day glueing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423555033.100341.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423555046.862530.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423555055.944698.jpg
This is the last batch of pieces cut to assemble the rest of the suit. I'm at about 95% built I have to move to paint as my deadline is quickly approaching, I will spend a bit adding some details. Cutting holes and backing them with some more foam. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423555316.868786.jpg

I installed the control panel and for now have it connected to a netbook to run the sound effects. Next step is to wire the switches to the feet so that the walking sounds are triggered organically.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423555654.264048.jpg

On to paint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Band Saw for sure, I've been shopping for one for ages and found an old one locally. I've found the best way for cutting any of the foam from patterns is to layer the pieces (if I need multiples) with a light misting of super 77 in between and lay the paper pattern on top, I then mist spray paint to "trace" the pattern on the foam and cut out as many layers as I need all in one go, this makes all the pieces uniform and with straight 90 degree edges. The ridging from the blade is more visible than tangible, so I think they'll go away with some paint. the edges for most parts are glued together so you never see the cutlines. I end up cutting a large amount of pieces in one go and then spending the next day glueing.

I have always been lead to believe that if you use a band saw on foam, it melts and "bobbles" the edges making it unsuitable as an accurate cutting tool. What type of blade did you use? and also, what speed setting etc?

I don't remember the tooth or size exactly but I know it's a fine tooth and I think it's s 1/4 inch deep blade. The saw is running at a ever so slightly faster speed as the old pulley cracked and I had to replace it with what I had, which was a 1/4 of an inch larger. It does leave tooth marks but it has not melted anything yet. Now I am using Minicell, also called L200 which is cross linked polyurethane not PVA which has similar properties but is a different material. So PVA might melt but I have run foam backwards and let the backside of the blade, without teeth cut through just using friction and it'll work.
I was thinking of trying to ding or make a blade that had no teeth and was just a tapered loop of 3/16 steel and see if that worked, like a meat slicer blade or something.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423679586.757364.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423679602.475515.jpg

Starting to get paint on the main body.

I'm trying a rustoleum brand called Flexidip. It's similar to Plastidip, but thinner and it has a couple of things going for it that I really like. First it's close to the color that I wanted, so I may just leave it this color. Second it has less friction to itself, so where Plastidip on Plastidip kind of sticks and chatters where it rubs, the Flexidip slides smoother and less noise. It says it's peel able in smooth surfaces but it sticks real good to the foam. And for the most part I'm using Bulldog adhesion promoter before laying it down. It takes paint well and takes a lot to scrape it up. If you're making something out of foam, give it a try.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423679956.808574.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423735494.854287.jpg
So after painting all day I decided I didn't like how dark the Flexidip was turning out, so I top coated it with rustoleum auto primer, that grey is closer, I then misted it with krylon peekaboo blue and then again with the primer to knock the blue back down a bit. I'm much more pleased with the look. Couple more days and I should have some more pictures to share.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423817775.950359.jpg
This is the chair I the basement of Metro West, first coat, I didn't get a picture of the finished paint yet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423817790.283293.jpg
I had to take a break from the ED to get the Robo suit ready for Saturday, we're making an appearance at the Red Wings game and I have to finish the arms, legs re-strap the chest make a new helmet and paint it all by then. Lots to do and little time. I'll be back to the ED by Saturday night. Good thing is I have to paint the legs and feet, cover the dome with fabric and assemble and it'll be ready. I got the sound effects all set and wired up, just have to test the feet with the switches installed and wire in a cutoff for scene changes. Oh and mount the powered speaker.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424812543.754005.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424812554.985971.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424812563.001664.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424812571.287439.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424812579.168526.jpg
So the show took up so much time I had to stop on the costume for a bit to finish up the rest of the props and costumes and Direct the damn thing. So far it has been really well received. I'll get back to it once I have a moment. But I feel the costume (or puppet depending on how you look at it) is something I'm proud of and with another 5% of work I can detail it out and get it finished. I'll keep posting updates as I go along.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back