Early NASA Sneaker ID

deshuck

Trying to find some way to identify the shoes worn by NASA astronauts in their flight suits in the 1960s (Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo era).

I was initially piqued by this photo of John Glenn after his orbital Mercury flight in 1962, but there's not enough detail to make a clear ID.

a john glenn pf flyers 1962.jpgScreen Shot 2018-01-23 at 3.51.43 PM.png
That led me down a rabbit hole of a bunch of other NASA galleries (available here: https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/index.html) for other pictures of the shoes:
Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.08.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.08.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.09.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.10.00 PM.png

The best I can find is this picture from Apollo 9, which I think is the same shoe:
Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.15.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.15.51 PM.png
I think it's a PF Flyers make based on the ridged toe bumper and the fact that their parent company BF Goodrich made the spacesuits for Mercury. But that toe cutaway in the Apollo 9 pic looks a lot like a Keds.
website-PF-flyers-1.jpgkeds-vintage.jpg
But I can't say definitively and it's driving me up the walls. I also wouldn't be surprised if they had something totally custom made that you couldn't ID on sight. Anyone have any better ideas than me?

Old post, I know, but on this day in 1962, John Glenn launched and became the first American to orbit the earth....and I stumbled into this looking to identify the sneakers in that great NASA photo. Someone else may in the future, so.....I think that the Keds commemorative Friendship 7 capsule ring would indicate a relationship existed. ;-)

From 2012 Hake's auction:

"Silvered brass showing realistic space capsule such as John Glenn's Friendship 7 which completed the first orbital flight in 1962. Capsule has company initial "K" and side band has serial number "K1210240." NM displaying Mint. Also see Friendship 7 ring #602."

image.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back