dying a lense at the front of a helmet?

CVWcreations

I'm currently making a dredd helmet, yet can't seen to find a suitable plastic for the front of the helment, for the lense. I've heard that you can dye them, so how do I do this?

I'm currently making a dredd helmet, yet can't seen to find a suitable plastic for the front of the helment, for the lense. I've heard that you can dye them, so how do I do this?

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure you could use some kind of tint like they use for car windows and get the same effect. I think they even have a spray version, but I can't be certain. hope this helps.

I know RIT dye works on acrylic, but you do need to use warm (hot?) water as part of the process which could distort a vacuformed lens depending on temp.

Just throwing an idea out...

I was trying to find a particular darkness/tint for a helmet project.
I went to a window tinting place and gave them the clear portion of the helmet and picked out the tint. They said it was a different request than what they were used to but did it.
Worked out fine.

I am not sure if you are looking for color or tinting, but my old boss at the motorcycle shop tinted my windscreen with homemade tint by just putting a little black paint in with some clear coat and spraying it.

Used this stuff on my own car, works great but go easy on the first coat as it can get dark very quickly

If you are wanting a good solution to tinting a visor and still have visibility.....use VHT Nite Shades Tail Lamp Translucent Black Lens Spray Paint.

Here is a link:
VHT Fog Light Taillight Tail Lamp Translucent Black Lens Spray Paint Nite Shades | eBay

Put it on in light coats and keep checking visibility. I sprayed a few coats on the outside and a very light coat on the inside of the visor.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back